• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Richard Garriott

J

Jhym

He announced today a contest through his game company to "carry" sequenced dna of couples up with him to the space station and then (I guess) throw it into orbit.

I had been mildly amused, but now that it looks like he's really going, I have to say I'm a bit disturbed and disappointed with the guy.

He's spending a good bit of his 30 million fortune on this.

Anytime I see things like this, one part of me feels "well, it's his money to waste as he wishes". However, the larger part of me feels very very sad that he would do this instead of spending it on helping others or charitable organizations (something that his games tend to insist are "good".)

For instance, he could have made a trust dedicated to promoting spaceflight and science activities for young students through grants and activities. Or foodbanks, or vaccinations or helping the homeless who want help. Or even a small school for "world generation" in gaming and promoting it to kids for future games.

I just feel really sad. Not angry, just sad.

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think that because you're rich and others aren't you should deprive yourself of enjoying your own wealth. His family wasn't poor to begin with but he's also worked hard to build his own fortune. I'm sure Richard, like many other wealthy people, does a lot for various charitable organization. If I were as rich and could afford that kind of an adventure, you better believe I would.

Do you deprive yourself of the occasional trip to an exotic location because you know some other people are homeless? That's a couple grands you could have donated to a charity instead. Would you forever deny yourself any extravagant indulgences, despite having worked hard to earn the money to pamper yourself, just because other people cannot do it?

Different means, different entertainment.

S

Sunrise

I dont think that because you're rich and others aren't you should deprive yourself of enjoying your own wealth. His family wasn't poor to begin with but he's also worked hard to build his own fortune. I'm sure Richard, like many other wealthy people, does a lot for various charitable organization. If I were as rich and could afford that kind of an adventure, you better believe I would.

Do you deprive yourself of the occasional trip to an exotic location because you know some other people are homeless? That's a couple grands you could have donated to a charity instead. Would you forever deny yourself any extravagant indulgences, despite having worked hard to earn the money to pamper yourself, just because other people cannot do it?

Different means, different entertainment.

Ditto....:bowdown: This reply right there says it all. Now my only question is this. Can this guy give me a loan?

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's his money. I don't care if he wants to wipe his butt with it; that's his perogative.

That being said, he was always a bit loopy as many creative people are, but whatever floats his boat.

E

Evilminion

If I somehow managed to earn 30 million bucks, you can bet your tuckus I'd spend a fat whack of it on things I've always wanted to do (diving the Great Barrier Reef, trying a bit of amateur archaeology in South America, doing a monthlong pub crawl across Ireland... :D). It's just that what Garriott has apparently always wanted to do is a bit pricier than what I want, heh. That doesn't make it any less valid.

I suspect he does also donate money to charities, even if it's only for the tax benefits. Once you have over a certain amount of income, charitable donations become very attractive, at least to your accountant. Heh.

(Wants to be rich enough someday to need her own accountant. :thumbsup:)

J

Jhym

Perhaps so, but the difference is that the 2-4k I would spend on a vacation would be a drop in the bucket, maybe helping a few dozen to a hundred. His 30M vacation would help thousands to hundreds of thousands of people.

The reason I feel disappointed in him is that his push in all his game story designs is to get the gamer to be more compassionate, to care about those around and to think of consequences. That those who have and have abilities should pull up others with them, not just leave them by the wayside.

I certainly don't think everyone with money should just give it all away. But it doesn't take much to give back to society and help others be happy.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Jhym,

I understand what you are saying. And people should help other people.

Catch here is unless someone here has illegal access to Garriot's tax return and he chooses not to publicly disclose what charities he does give to and how much... is simply no one's business, and not knowing isn't reason to speculate that because you don't know doesn't mean he doesn't give some insane amount to a charity you're unaware of. Off the topic of Garriot.

There are LOTS of celebrities and wealthy that give unbelievable amounts of money anonymously for a variety of reasons. Some just believe that it's just not necessary for anyone to know. Others prefer their privacy. Many do not want to be criticized for their choice of charities. They give to poor, starving children in Africa... but SOMEONE will complain why didn't they give to poor, starving kids in the US. But when another gives to poor, starving kids in the US, then someone will call them racist for not giving to the poor, starving kids in Africa. Whether someone announces what they give or not, no matter what... they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. So many choose to keep it a private matter, and let it be at that.

Arnold Schwarzenegger & Maria Schriver do things for charities they make a point of asking the media to publicize some and not others. A great story of keeping things private that very few people know of... when Christopher Reeves (of Superman fame) became a quadraplegic, over time his best friend Robin Williams was paying many of Reeve's rehab expenses, mortgage & utilities, and more. William's kept it private, insiders and the media knew... but it wasn't widely publicized out of respect for the kindness being extended.

Garriot may be spending $30m on a ISS trip. But how do you know he doesn't privately give $100m to whatever? No one knows. None of our business.

L

Lady_Mina

at least he isnt donating it all to scientology
LOL word !

Thanks to scientology and it's crap..i started to hate Tom Cruise.

Well it's richard's money and his dream...i'm not stopping him..and i'm not mad at him.

UO 2 is a dream...no more of an illusion that will never be , i think.

In that short film he does mention Tabula Rasa a lot..i wish he metioned Ultima Online more in the media.
UO could use more subscribers...some of the servers are really empty.