• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

!!! Richard Garriott and Starr Long paid a visit to UO in 9/25/2014 !!!

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obviously this is to promote Shroud of the Avatar . The question is why is this a Broadsword sanctioned event? I assume it is since the announcement is posted on UO.com.

This seems to be the opposite of what someone who is running a subscription based MMO would want to do. I'snt broadsword worried about poaching customers? Why would they want to take any subs away from what we as players can only perceive as a game with a dwindling population? Tin foil hat wearing types could have a field day with this.

Of course if you have been following SOtA at all you know just how odd ( read: terrible) the combat system is. I get the uniqueness of it but it just doesnt look like fun.
No mention was made of SOTA! The Original Lord's British & Blackthorn came to Celebrate our 17th Anniversary. Sad it had to be on TC1 but I understand why. I just wish they cudda had a Guest Book for Everyone to Sign that Mesanna cudda copied to the prod shards for a memento. This was a Huge Occurance & I only wish it had been given its due Respect.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looked about same numbers as a typical atlantic event to be fair

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe if they all get along - for a year - we could make it an annual event....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe if they all get along - for a year - we could make it an annual event....
Maybe... if you wished hard enough we might achieve world peace and end starvation and poverty... may be just as likely to occur.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks for the rez.. lol. on the drop of exodus.. i went to cast heal.. and well. oooOooOo

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima Online was my first introduction to Ultima. I think I was hooked the moment that Treasure Chest opened and the dark, low, voice began its narration. I have played UO for seventeen [17] years ... and counting. I have come to loathe Electronic Arts and to love and revere Richard Garriot's "Lord British." That said, while I was incredibly happy & excited to have Garriot and Long come to celebrate our 17th Anniversary, I was at least equally disappointed by the lack of quality of the "Event," and the lack of any real interaction with our Lord's & King's. Killing folks rendered defenseless by spell & divine ability suppression was immature and pointless. I am sure both Garriot & Long are very busy and I am glad they took their time to visit us. I just wish their visit had been given the respect it deserved. Squelching early crowd speech was indeed a blessing, though most simply opined using gen chat. Personally, I'd like to know if EA's ban of Garriot as Lord British has been lifted or no longer applies. I'd love to see both Garriot and Long play at least a consulting role in UO's future, and more if possible. This is not meant as any criticism of Bonnie Armstrong & Company who currently run our show. Many, myself included, believe UO's population could again swell with the right changes. If we are wrong in this belief, then I hope one day a new but similar UO, one able to capture future generations, is brought into being. UO remains unmatched for the choices, the Player-control, it provides. That is what brought & kept me there for 17 years. The item-driven thing it has become will be its undoing if not reversed. PvP didn't begin UO's death spiral, nor did Trammel, but Developers abandoning Richard Garriot's model ... did.

Please Folks, I truly want to fall in love with a new UO. One that keeps the best of the old and adds only the best of the new.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gotta say I had a blast! It was so wonderful to see Lord British, Anon, RAINZ, Heckles and Minax again after such a long absence. I was in Mumble with my guild and you should have heard the yelling and laughter when RAINZ was killed. That was the best! So funny!
Anyways, just wanted to say thank you and hope you all know how much we appreciate you all taking the time to visit us.

*raises a glass of KaZola's Tree Top ale and toasts the old folk*

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Too bad Kazola isn't around anymore. ..

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima Online was my first introduction to Ultima. I think I was hooked the moment that Treasure Chest opened and the dark, low, voice began its narration. I have played UO for seventeen [17] years ... and counting. I have come to loathe Electronic Arts and to love and revere Richard Garriot's "Lord British." That said, while I was incredibly happy & excited to have Garriot and Long come to celebrate our 17th Anniversary, I was at least equally disappointed by the lack of quality of the "Event," and the lack of any real interaction with our Lord's & King's. Killing folks rendered defenseless by spell & divine ability suppression was immature and pointless. I am sure both Garriot & Long are very busy and I am glad they took their time to visit us. I just wish their visit had been given the respect it deserved. Squelching early crowd speech was indeed a blessing, though most simply opined using gen chat. Personally, I'd like to know if EA's ban of Garriot as Lord British has been lifted or no longer applies. I'd love to see both Garriot and Long play at least a consulting role in UO's future, and more if possible. This is not meant as any criticism of Bonnie Armstrong & Company who currently run our show. Many, myself included, believe UO's population could again swell with the right changes. If we are wrong in this belief, then I hope one day a new but similar UO, one able to capture future generations, is brought into being. UO remains unmatched for the choices, the Player-control, it provides. That is what brought & kept me there for 17 years. The item-driven thing it has become will be its undoing if not reversed. PvP didn't begin UO's death spiral, nor did Trammel, but Developers abandoning Richard Garriot's model ... did.

Please Folks, I truly want to fall in love with a new UO. One that keeps the best of the old and adds only the best of the new.
EA never banned the use of the name.. Richard "the spaceman" Garriot copyrighted the name Lord British and took it with him when he left Origin.. Don't expect to see the name on any production servers unless he gives them permission, other than that, only he can use the name.. I have no complaints though about the killing, it is a test center for a reason, if you complain that you died on test center you got a problem, and I get why it was on test center, nothing that happened on there was canon to the current lore..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
EA never banned the use of the name.. Richard "the spaceman" Garriot copyrighted the name Lord British and took it with him when he left Origin.. Don't expect to see the name on any production servers unless he gives them permission, other than that, only he can use the name.. I have no complaints though about the killing, it is a test center for a reason, if you complain that you died on test center you got a problem, and I get why it was on test center, nothing that happened on there was canon to the current lore..
Mesanna aka Minax failed to kill Malag once again... too bad for her... he was able to get a scroll of commendation off of Exodus for all the good that does on Test. But oh well was rather interesting to see how bad I play when I have ZERO macro's set or anything because of the new UI changes and just being copied to TC1 like 2 min before the event. Was fun though.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I complained more that I *didn't* die, which is the second time Mesanna has failed to kill me (though she did at the LS dice roll night & succeeded at the Dev M&G on LS, the latter which I allowed.) And also that I didn't get to do anything to Exodus because I copied my red Necro Mage from LS, then ate a royal pardon because I had 10k VvV points so I could take him to Tram (which was weird in itself, he hasn't been able to visit Trammel since 2004-2005), and mages are unable to cast in the castle. :(