• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

!!! Richard Garriott and Starr Long paid a visit to UO in 9/25/2014 !!!

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event is over! can't recall last time I had seen so many people gathered once. It was also nice to see so many EMs, new Advisors and Devs new and Old at one eyeful. Was also nice to share same space with His Grace!;p Forsooth, highest moment in life of a simple peasant such as I!!
I hope/think a proper transcript is gonna pop up somewhere. I can't manage anything proper, partly due to not being able to " hear" all of the powers that be.

TLDR about the event:
No huge new news regarding UO
RG&Starr were glad to see us and stuff!
We were all Hail to thee The King and stuff!
Minax appeared and ROFLED
Rainz popped up, doubtless trying to kill Lord British once more!
Rainz got killed by Minax
Exodus spawned and killed loads of people
People killed Exodus. Except mages who didn't.
Rainz resurrected, got a kingly pardon.
His Grace Lord British protector of the realm bestowed us with his Kingly Smiley " : ) "
Pretty normal Thursday evening tbh
P.S Neither Garriott nor Starr spoke a single word about SotA.

Some Screenies:
Lords British and Blackthorn standing on sides of Com Crystal. Minax is the head-off-screen lass. Besides him, unfortunately named and most treacherous Mage "Anon". EMs are doubling as royal guards, which was a fun touch. Loads of people;most standing on one another.

Minax Rofls, lol. New Advisors busy making a nice looking triangle while their realm is in mortal peril!D:

Surprise visit from infamous Rainz! Some reminiscing and randomness followed.

Exodus dropped by. People more dispersed now, easier to appreciate the sheer scale of crowd this pulled. I'm not much of a mace fighter but ofc, king must be protected! Rainz got killed by flamestrike:(

UO sure looks like a dead game to me.

His Grace Graces us with a royal smiley! MY IMMERSION IS NOW BROKEN BAD RP

Exodus got killed,Minax escaped. Dialogue between British and LBR worth reading, specially if you are an optimist with a tinfoil hat.

Old OP below

Richard Garriott and Starr Long (Lords British and Blackthorn if you will!) are going to be IN GAME in UO tonight!! Their visit is set to take place on Test Center at 7pm ET. Like as not it has been around 13 years since last thime this happened!

There is a very informative thread about this on Stratics as it is. Said thread just has a bit cryptic title. I don't know if it's just me but I think this sounds like a vastly exciting event and deserves an extra slice of visibility. Two threads about same topic on front page is completely useless I realize, sorry bout that! feel free to lock this..but if/when you do, PLEASE change the title of the old thread to something more informative.
"Test Center September etc" doesn't necessarily excite random forum lurker enough to make him read it. "Richard Garriott visiting our game!!" does.

Also,pst,
It is Garriott with 2 Ts

Link to original thread on Stratics
http://stratics.com/community/threads/tc1-september-25th-2014-at-7pm-et.321820/

Article about the event @ Massively;
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/0...ecomes-lord-british-again-for-ultima-onlines/

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol. I thought the TC thread was about another VvV test session. Thanks for the hint.

Queen Mum

Crazed Zealot
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
DJ Net will be broadcasting the event live on UORADIO.com ... tune in while you are at the meet up .... I am so looking forward to this ... :)

*cookie hugs*

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obviously this is to promote Shroud of the Avatar . The question is why is this a Broadsword sanctioned event? I assume it is since the announcement is posted on UO.com.

This seems to be the opposite of what someone who is running a subscription based MMO would want to do. I'snt broadsword worried about poaching customers? Why would they want to take any subs away from what we as players can only perceive as a game with a dwindling population? Tin foil hat wearing types could have a field day with this.

Of course if you have been following SOtA at all you know just how odd ( read: terrible) the combat system is. I get the uniqueness of it but it just doesnt look like fun.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Obviously this is to promote Shroud of the Avatar . The question is why is this a Broadsword sanctioned event? I assume it is since the announcement is posted on UO.com.
Perhaps Richard Garriot is interested in buying back UO and wants to see how many people still play first.

Agreed that the SotA combat sysem is a bit....strange.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This seems to be the opposite of what someone who is running a subscription based MMO would want to do. I'snt broadsword worried about poaching customers? Why would they want to take any subs away from what we as players can only perceive as a game with a dwindling population? Tin foil hat wearing types could have a field day with this.

Of course if you have been following SOtA at all you know just how odd ( read: terrible) the combat system is. I get the uniqueness of it but it just doesnt look like fun.
Just firing shots in the dark here really, but somehow I wildly believe that some of the current devs just might feel that having the Original creator of UO, father of the entire franchise, space invading, genre defining, time travelling MFin' Lord British gracing us after a decade or so of not doing so is actually a pretty cool and warm idea?

If you want to start to worrying about people abandoning UO for some awesome yet-to-be-released new game, you'd have to begin by time travelling to year 2001 or so.

Perhaps Richard Garriot is interested in buying back UO and wants to see how many people still play first.

You know, I really wonder about this too. I'm not enough an optimist to believe it but...

Last edited:

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I wouldn't take anything from it Richard Garriott is just promoting his new game he has already been to multiple player-run UO servers to do the same thing.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If he wanted to know how many people still play , I would guess that he , being Richard Garriot , would just have to ask.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If he wanted to know how many people still play , I would guess that he , being Richard Garriot , would just have to ask.
True, but if Broadsword are the one's selling the game, they would be more likely to exaggerate the statistics to get a higher price, for example when he asks how many active players there are, they would probabaly tell him how many active accounts there are instead. This way he could see for himself. Possibly the most important rule of business is, ask the seller about it, check, double check, then check again.

LiquidSolidity

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After eagerly installing UO, I now find that Return to Britain is not on so it looks like I won't be attending. A real shame.

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

After egerly installing UO, I now find that Return to Britain is not on so it looks like I won't be attending. A real shame.
: O really???
Assuming server could take it, it would have been a highly swell idea to synch RTB and this in same moment. I assumed they did. I'm amazed they didn't. Can't recall when was the last good free-of-charge opportunity to promote the game. Around never I think. Maybe they feared the crowd being too Grieftastic and vast.. But erg, come on...

Last edited:

LiquidSolidity

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Less than an hour now, unless I'm mistaken?
Don't remind me. I'm desperately trying to create a free account through the dreadful account management page because Return to Brit isn't active. It's not working. Anyone got a free account code I can use?

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ If only RTB was on I'd just hand over some of my long abandoned accs for keepers. But noo.
..Then again, if it were open you wouldn't need one in 1st place.*sage crit*

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love that the area is squelched and I don't have to be spammed with spells and random nonsense. I do hope this isn't just a glorified publicity stunt.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I thought I patched the comp I am on, but cannot open LBs paperdoll in the CC.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can't even get near the area for some reason, every time I get near it I crash. Are there tons of people causing lag or something?

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked that Lord British came and everything.. Just not sure what was the point of it, didn't seem like there was any direction in this event other than random chatting and an Exodus. But overall it was interesting.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There wasn't any advertising, but if that is supposed to count as "official event fiction" uhm...it was awful. They couldn't stay in character and parts of it made no sense.

D-

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just two spots where I lagged..... unfortunately only had three bandages on me so couldn't rez folks :(

always amused by those who come to an event for the sole purpose of complaining, attempting to inflict their depression on everyone around them

for myself, I had fun! (and got to see Tashik!) :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Does anyone have screenshots, video, or a transcript of the event? I crashed so many times it was hard to tell what was happening.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After meeting with our fearless leader Lord British Garriot at the 17th anniversary of Ultima Online i must say it was Amazing!

(and i will be quitting UO for Shroud of the Avatar)

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After meeting with our fearless leader Lord British Garriot at the 17th anniversary of Ultima Online i must say it was Amazing!

(and i will be quitting UO for Shroud of the Avatar)
Have you been beta testing it? I have as a backer and it is not a uo replacement. If anything, it's on par with Neverwinter.

Not a bad new kickstarter game. I'll be playing it as I do neverwinter and gw2. But it won't replace uo.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree with SpyderBite, I've been participating in their testing sessions since the very beginning, and although it is definetely going to be a great game, it is definetely not a UO replacement or a UO2.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thank you! it looks like it was a great event. Great to see so many people came.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Request to devs: PLEASE use some of these screenshots in a future advertisement for the game, it is the absolute perfect advertising material to show there are still people and fun events in UO.