• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Tamer

Grenier

Adventurer
I have not played since 2005-06 so I am slowly getting back into this. When I played my tamer he was a Tamer/Bard, mainly peace. I am wondering how viable this build is or is everything about Disc/Tamer? Right now I have been leveling him up as a Mage/Tamer ,something a bit new to me since I have been used to just peacing then taming. Of the two what seems to be the stronger templates? Maybe an example of play styles when things start to get hairy?Thanks in advance

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Your Peace/Tamer/Mage is still an okay template, but due to the insane hit points on most of the big kills in the game today, I would recommend going with Disco and maybe even back that up with Spell Weaving for Word of Death to finish the target off quickly when it gets to 30% health. Your best bet in the meantime though is to copy your character over to the Test Shard and play around with the skills and combos to see what suits your wants/play style...

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use peacemaking and discord on my tamer, but i use Soulstones to hold the skill I'm not using at the moment. I would recommend picking up a couple Soulstones, as you will probably find them useful for everything from training and versatility of template options.

I've found that discord is great for hunting, and peacemaking is great for the actual taming of hostile creatures.

Welcome back!

Grenier

Adventurer
Thanks for the replys. I think I will stick to my comfort zone and Stone Peace when Not using it. Happy hunting

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would agree with the idea that while the peace/tamer is still functional, it is not optimal.

For the skill invested, I prefer the disco/tamer. My template is:
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Disco
120 Music
100 Mage (115 with spellbook)
20 Hiding (I use a gargoyle so no JOAT)

With 30 mana regen on my suit I can sustain the consume damage mastery. I keep the 120 Lore and Vet at the 120 level in order to maintain the additional stable slots as I don't always use a Greater Dragon, so I like to have other pets as options.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My template is very similar:

120.0 Animal Taming
120.0 Animal Lore
120.0 Veterinary
120.0 Musicianship
120.0 Magery
++ 120.0 Discordance (swapped out for Peacemaking when needed)
++ 120.0 Peacemaking (swapped out for Discordance when needed)

For equipment, I have a luck suit with max luck & 100% LRC. The resists are crap, but I don't run into many problems with that. The other suit is 100% LRC with max resists. I'm going to make a new suit (now that i have a 120 Imbue/120 Blacksmith/120 Tailor), that has max resists, 100% LRC, 40 LMC, and 6+ MR.

And again, welcome back & good luck!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It is possible to actually run real 120 music, peace and disco on your tamer, but it requires a lot of tinkering and min-maxing: What template(s) are you running?
With this build, you will be running the peace masteries rather than the taming mastery, but the 27% damage reduction, 27% DCI and the regens are pretty nice for your pet. And disco helps a lot with mobs.