• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Tamer - Question about Armor/Cloth

Rogus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hello,

i just returned to Ultima Online after some years. The big change i am not getting really familiar with yet is the combination of items having tons of buffs (fast casting, ...) and vendors on my shard (Drachenfels) beeing nearly empty.

So my question is as a Mage/Tamer what kind of armor would you suggest to
1) Tame our nice friends
2) Hunt something down

In the old days i used bandages / Greater Heal on my WW staying in the background adding some flamestrike on the mob from time to time.

Taming was like today, some kind of "lead taming", luring the mob around, spamming invis invis, sometimes dieing, invis invis .... then success (sooner or later). We never had Honor, but it sounds like a very nice and easy alternative for big critters with spawn around.

I would really appreciate some hints which what kind of armor/cloth buffs i should go. Thx a lot!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a tamer / mage and roll out in medable leather armour.

Welcome back by the way!

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a tamer mage, I too use meddable leather, with max lmc, fc, fcr, and all the mana regen and mana increase I can fit on, as well as doing my best to get high sdi as well.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think a lot depends on your template and how you play it. A couple of important variables...

How do you heal your pet most of the time? Vet or Magery
Does your template have meditation?
Does your template have eval? Do you rely on the dragon for all of the damage or do you also like to cast offensive spells.

Like others have said... medable armor with LRC is a must. I also like to have 2/6 faster casting and faster cast recovery. 70 or close to it in all resists is also pretty standard.

Lower mana cost(LMC) and Mana regeneration(MR) is also nice, but only really a must have if you use a lot of magery for healing or damaging spells. The same goes for spell damage increase... really only helps if you have eval on the template and use offensive magery. (sounds like you do)

There is also a balance for + stats like mana or hit points. If you are heavy in the magery use department you will want some +mana on the suit. If you use a lot of vet (closer to the action) I would go more for the + hit points (remember there is a cap of +25 hit points from the suit).

Another property to consider, particularly if you use vet and require less of the other properties, is luck. If you can fit it in, the most popular theories say around 1100 or 1200 luck will serve you best.

Rogus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thank you all for your hints and guiding into the right direction.

I am healing my pet most of the time with vet but on the other side i am really into magery and GM meditation. So i brought Mana into the 150ish and put on some LMC armor pieces. I also went with FC/FCR for "invis" spaming lead taming and it was a great time till then. Got myself a firesteed just for fun and last but not least i tamed my first GD yesterday. After some not so glorious deaths could manage it without using honor. Great time, lot of fun.

Last edited: