• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player

Finglfin

Visitor
Good Evening,

Thought I would introduce myself, closed my account in 2003 and recently had the itch to play again

Downloaded recent expansions, currently been updating my characters.. which is taking sometime.

Realised i own equiptment that is over ten years old now, need to get out dungeon delving for new items if anyone wants to reshow me the ropes :)

It seems a lot has changed, wondering how busy the game is now or which areas are the hotspots to meet new players?

I used to be in a guild called Guardians of destiny, which seem to be long gone from Europa now.

Have a paladin as my main character, but at the moment even struggling with macros and remembering what spells do

Hope to see some players around and would be good to go hunting

Thanks,

Katrina Blade

Adventurer
Hey, I feel your pain, returned about 3 weeks ago, hadnt played since 2004. Stick with it, its still an awesome game and Europa is still fairly active, although Atlantic seems to be the most populated shard (may be worth making a char over there).

If you havent discovered the New Player House (theres a link at the top of the Europa forums) go find it. Its great for new/returning players, has reagents, cheap armour and weapons (which are probably close to the uber 2003 suits statwise, if not better), also there are training dummys, a rune library and some crystals. Double click the crystals they will give you instructions, but basically you can use them to recall to any town, moongate or dungeon.

Next surf the forums for your prefered template, most work in PvM, but the preferred ones at the moment are Tamer/anything (i use tamer/disco), Sampire (basically weapon skill, bush anat max then mix of parry chiv tactics etc) google sampire, there are loads of guides and it seems to be the best pvm template. Also ABC archer is good (Archery, bushido, Chiv). But most templates will work (have ignored magic users as you said you were a paladin).

Finally there are nightly meets at West Brit Bank in trammel to help new players. I believe they are 1900 (UK time). Every Wed there is normally just a meet and greet where you can ask questions etc and every Thu they organise a hunt. If you want to ICQ me, im happy to team up and do some dungeons, explore the new content together, although I dont get online as much or as long as I want to.

Barbarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back mate

I started playing UO again recently after years away. A lot has changed and there is loads of new content to discover.

The nightly meets at WBB are a great start - I found a nice guild there (TBDB Dark Brotherhood), got some new kit and assistance. People are very helpful. The Thursday hunts are also fun and a good way to get into new and old content with people who know what they're doing (and where the hell they are going as well).

Fond memories of duelling at Skara with G*D, those were the days... :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't really offer better advice than you've already been given, visit the New Player House and the nightly WBB meet. You might also find the information on this page useful

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hi the meetings are 6pm UK time. Unfortunately I may not be able to make tonights as I have an appointment at 5.10pm. If I am home before it ends I shall log in. I am the Guild Leader for The Dark Brotherhood and you are more than welcome to join us.

Finglfin

Visitor
Cheers for the warm welcome,

I have a couple more night shifts to get out of the way then I am free to spend a bit more time exploring and organising my characters. I remember very little so currently making my way through the forums and wiki pages!

I will get down to the 6pm meet on Saturday, be good to meet you all

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Il give you a simple but effective Sampire build for your Paladin which is outdated although some people still use them.
I have also added a basic ABC Archer which is easy and nice to use, you can always then make slight variations to skills and caps.

Sampire
120 Swords
120 Bushido
100/120 Chivalry
100/120 Tactics
100 Resists spells
100 Necromancy
60 Parry

ABC Archer

120 Archery
120 Anatomy
120 Tactics
120 Chivalry
120 Bushido
120 Resist spells

This last archer build can also be mixed up with Necromancy and Spirit speak to create a Wraith archer, similar to the Sampire leeching life of each arrow you shoot.

As mentioned before there is daily West Brit Bank meetings from 6-7 PM (UK TIME), An hour more if you are not in the UK. (7-8)
There will be many people there who will be able to help you and suit you up correctly to the level of monster we have now ingame.

Good place also to test any build you have in mind or want to play is in Test Centre as you can set your skills how you want and play around.
Id advise make a char in a production shard and then copy it onto TC and change skills there, as it will carry suits with you, so no need to make them in TC.

Katrina Blade

Adventurer
Well we are going for a bit of an adventure tonight! This is new player/non expert friendly as we will be going slowly and explaining each encounter, so please be patient and expect lots of death/resses!!

We will decide tonight on the schedule, but im thinking a dungeon delve first (clear all the way through one of the old dungeons, probably shame or destard), then head to either Exodus or underworld and then finally finish off with some champ spawns (probably illsh, maybe Fel if we have enough peeps for protection)!

Please do come along, I will be at West Brit Bank from 1900 (UK time), and we will probably set off 15-20mins later. ICQ me if you want to join later on in the evening :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Darn! I wish I had seen this in time to join in, maybe next time...

Katrina Blade

Adventurer
@ShriNayne im available regularly to go for hunts, just drop me a line on ICQ (in my signature). But I strongly recommend getting to know the WBB posse who hang around at 630 UK time every evening. they will answer any questions and help out.

In fact there should be a hunt tonight at 1900 from WBB. If there isnt one, we can head to a champ spawn!

Edited for terrible spelling!

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Thank you very much Katrina, we will have to try and get to the evening meeting, unfortunately we usually have dinner around 6pm, but maybe we can shuffle things around a bit!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Katrina Blade So sorry Katrina! I have been trying to work out for half an hour or so how to allow Guild invites, finally had to google it....

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello and welcome back! I'm in same boat..figured I'd play some UO again for the summer.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Every Thursday after the Brit Bank meeting Escaflowne organises hunts. You can usually see them advertised on these forums. When enough Guild members are online myself and Mad will do Powerscroll hunts