• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Player With Some Questions

Ossy

Adventurer
First, a bit of background: I started playing with Renaissance way back when and played straight through until the first Final Fantasy MMO came out. I did play around a bit with Age of Shadows, but not much. Came back a year or so ago for a bit, but life got in the way. Back again and trying to get caught up.

I read the guide by CorwinXX.

Is the straight melee warrior (Chiv, Bushido, Swords in my case) still a viable build? Is it good for soloing?

What is the best equipment?

How good is the Archer/Melee build? That sounds like it could be fun.

I've been looking for info and can't really find anything. How do the talisman's work? I get the protection benefits on some, but what are the charges?

Any advice for getting back into the swing of things.

Playing on Catskills (originally on Chessy but couldn't remember old logins).

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Yes, bushido paladin build is still viable and can solo much of the content out there.

The best equipment ... obviously this would be a suit full of legendary artifacts that were all perfectly fit together. If such a suit existed, I'd suspect it'd be worth several 10s of billions of gold. I wear a suit that is a mix of crafted and looted items and reward artifacts and don't have any complaints.

I've never bothered to try the melee/archer template - I find that 1 or the other works just fine for me.

Some of the talisman have an ability that can be triggered by a double click. When you activate it, this uses a charge.

To get back into the swing, just dust off an old character, or make a new one, hit a dungeon and have fun... If you're building a new character, feel free to gain skills by actually going out and killing stuff, as opposed to sitting in town spamming.

Ossy

Adventurer
What about armor? What's best kind nowadays?

I'm not looking to solo bosses or anything like that, but want to be able to hunt dragons and that level without difficulty.

I want something with damage and survialibility and isn't high maintenance, during or after combat. I'm only looking at an hour or two a night, 3 or so nights a week.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
The best armour is a mixture of looted, Reforged, Imbued, Enhanced and Artifacts that have been properly thought out in a spreadsheet so that no point is wasted. Though if you want to make life easy, join Vice Vs Virtue (google it), you can then buy 4 Enhanced Artifacts for no cost/effort what so ever. I'd recommend getting the Crimson Cincture, Primer On Arms Talisman, Mace & Shield Glasses or Spirit Of The Totem or Hunters Headress, and one other.

If Dragons are the aim then you will want armour that gives 70 Fire and Energy resist, and if you're melee also Physical resist. Any weapon with Dragon Slayer will be more than adequate.Though you should probably know that there are Greater Dragons now.

There's not much you can't do with a minimum of:

120 Weapon skill
90 Tactics
100 Necro (for Vamp Form)
70 Chiv

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Virtue vs Vice is for PvP on Trammal/Ish/Malas right?

I could join, get the 2k silver, get the items and then quit?
Fel only. If you get the arties and quit fully you won't be able to wear / use them.

Ossy

Adventurer
There was a bit in the UO.Com description about non-consensual facets that had me confused.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can buy your vvv items go back to tram and put them on and never have to worry unless you decide to spawn in fel

and just so you know.....the grt dragons are difficult for most templates to handle in groups

I usually take more damage running into fel destard from grt dragons.....then I do for the entire dragon spawn until the champ pops

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So basically it would be like stepping into Fel anyways.
you have to go to fel to buy your vvv items....but frankly after that, you dont have to return to fel until they wear out and you have to buy more.

In tram you are safe from pvp as always

Ossy

Adventurer
There was a bit in the uo.com description of the VvV that said "non-consensual PVP" which to me means Tram/Mala/Ish/etc..

Wear out? The glasses have durability?

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all vvv items have durability.

good news is the 2k gold you get to join vvv will last you a long time if you dont blow it.

I play daily, spawn daily, pvp daily and I have been in vvv since it's conception and I still havent burned through any pieces

Ossy

Adventurer
Do the Brit Library glasses have durability?

Wondering if could get the VvV versions and use them well building up points for the Library ones.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I don't know where you guys are getting this from but VVV doesn't allow PvP anywhere other than Fel, only guild wars do that, and you don't have to go to Fel to join or buy VVV items.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always purchased my VVV items at the silver dealers in Fel cities. I have never seen one in Tram, but they might exist.

And yes Library glasses have durability as well. But last longer then the Antique VVV items.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it all boils down to this..
OP how much gold are you willing to part to be able todo what it is you want todo, with this warrior type of char you want to use ?
Then then sub questions, Are u able to imbue/craft ??

ABC archer are by far the most easiest template todo a spawn with.(very good clearing speed also)
Only downside as i see it, u need crap loads of arrows.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
ABC is an Archery Bushido Chivalry template. They're pretty average.

Ossy, what do you actually want to do with your character? How do you intend to heal yourself? Do you want to be higher offense or defense or balanced? Do you use potions? Do you have access to a crafter, artifacts?

Ossy

Adventurer
ABC is an Archery Bushido Chivalry template. They're pretty average.

Ossy, what do you actually want to do with your character? How do you intend to heal yourself? Do you want to be higher offense or defense or balanced? Do you use potions? Do you have access to a crafter, artifacts?
Not 100% sure, want something all around that can hunt solo and survive as well as do bigger things like champs and peerless. Bandages and Chiv. My prior UO life, had 80 healing and did pretty good. Offense but survivability. Nope, haven't yet. Yes to crafter. Artifacts will come.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Not 100% sure, want something all around that can hunt solo and survive as well as do bigger things like champs and peerless. Bandages and Chiv. My prior UO life, had 80 healing and did pretty good. Offense but survivability. Nope, haven't yet. Yes to crafter. Artifacts will come.
Ok, then I would suggest: Weapon, Tactics, Healing, Anatomy, Chivalry, Resist, Parry.

-The weapon skill you will want to take to 120, and as you'll need Dex for Bandages I would suggest Swords primarily, Maces as a second option, or if you want to go Archery you can substitute Parry for something else.

-Tactics 90-120.

-Healing/Anatomy 80+, you can also used Enhanced Bandages, which effectively gives you another 10 Healing.

-Chivalry, as you don't want to use Necro I would probably go 120 with this.

-Resist 100-120, if you're relying on bandages a) you don't want Curses taking you below 140 Dex as it affects their speed, and b) you want to reduce the amount you are Poisoned. It will also prevent you from being Mana Vamp'd and Paralysed and being able to joust is useful when using Bandages.

-The last skill is going to be anywhere from 60-120 depending on gear and how you want to balance the rest of it. If you're using a shield with one handed weapons then Parry is a good idea for all the extra mods shields have. Other options are Bushido for Perfection and a bunch of other stuff. Spellweaving, it's 4/6 casting the same as Chivalry and has some excellent uses on a dexxer especially Mana Shield, Summon Reaper from the Mastery's, added defense with Attunement/Renewal/Gift Of Life, Reaper Form which gives SSI, SDI and added resists, some area spells and of course Word Of Death. Spellweaving is also good in that it's mostly things you toggle on, which won't get in the way of your Bandages macro, where as trying to Lightning Strike/Counter Attack/Confidense/Chivalry will, and it also doesn't require any reagents. Alternatively if you think it spreads you a bit thin you can always have no last skill and have 6x 120 real skill, although you may think 'I'm losing a skill' it will make your template solid, and not reliant on skill items, so is always worth considering and can always be changed later.

Decide the template first, then you know what weapons you need, and what you need on the suit to use those weapons at their best.

Ossy

Adventurer
I'm currently 110 swords, 100 tactics, 100 anatomy, 70 healing, 70 parrying, 70 chiv and 46 bushido