• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player seeking advice

Montie1123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ok so im coming back to UO and joining a few friend on the Siege Perilous shard. Im loving the look of RC for tanking some stuff for me. so im looking into mystic/bard

From what i have read so far and seeing as some of the post are from 2010 i have no clue if that info is even correct or not. I have 705 SP to play with before haveing to using items to up them.

If im reading it right i want real skill of 120 with my provoking maybe disco. for the + to the mastery songs.
anything else i might be needing? Remember im playing on a shard i can get Pked and lose everything so im wanting easy to replace gear till im well off enough to be able to lose suits left and right.

Also as there is no recall ill need to fit in enough magery to gate if i want to get around with out having to run every place.

Thanks for all the help you can give :)

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
well youll need music with the provo and disco.
so that gets ya up to music, provo and disco.
then you said you need magic.
so youll probably need med with that too im guessing.
and EI if ya want your spells to have some STANK on them.
if not you could go with myst and focus.
so magic, myst and focus.
coupled with the music, disco and provo, that gives ya 6 skills.
then add a couple +20 to some of those and youve all but eaten up all your points.
roll the extras left overs maybe into med?

Montie1123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If i was reading the older post right, its better to have real skill in the bard skills as you get something for that and then use ring/watch for anything else you need. With that in mind i was looking at something along the lines of.

Music 120
provo 120
disco 120
focus 120 (as med takes the same slot on ring/watch)
Mystic 90 or so rest on ring/watch
magic 90ish only need this for gates really so i could even drop it if i want to run every place i go.
that leaves 40 plus what i can put on ring/watch for med so with gear 70

please let me know what you think and what i might change to get the most out of this build.
Thanks for you time and help!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
that should work.
youll be living in crappy LRC suits on siege, but it should work good for ya.

garg or human or elf?

Montie1123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Human, Yea ill most likely be using 100 lrc and as much lmc as i can get with some regen in the mix

Montie1123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ok was board at work and was reading post on the caster forums. RC vs arctic orge lord or the like. or i should say replace mystic/focus with spellweaving up my med and not have such a tight templet. So what im asking is one of the NPCs i can the alure spell on good enough to take the place of an RC to tank for me. The big thing i can see is it cant be dispelled so inless its killed out right it will be with me till it dies or i let it go.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't ditch mystic for spell weaving. It's hard to find enough people on siege to get a circle. I also run a disco mystic on siege and it's quite effective. You should be able to get effective all 70s resist lrc suits from Ginsus in New Mag for pretty cheap.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i disgree
myst in my experience is way better then spellweaving for fighting.
you cant beat a RC with any other summons.

the RCs coupled with the hail storm or cyclone and the 2 choices for healing and removing curses are awesome.

now dont get me wrong, SW is good too, infact i have a TONNE of them smattered around.
you get the auto res spell, allways usefull.
and some nice summons.
hellfire, allways a crowd pleaser.

it really all boils down to your play style.

id recomend working up one, then stoning it off and doing up the other if ya can.
get a taste for both.

OR, head over to test centre and try them both out.

Montie1123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well 2 things to bring up. On Sp getting a 120 mystic scroll is not going to be easy as there are people that have been trying to get one for months. I have a 120 SW in the bank a friend got me right now. So i think what ill do it go do the SW quest and see if i cant feel a spell book up and play around with it till i can get a 120 mystic who knows using a Meer or arctic ogre lord might be just as good as an RC to tank for me. Wont know what i like best till i try hehe.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you run with mysticism, focus, meditation and a bard skill set (prove/music or peace/music) you can add wrestling and do 6x 120.
With 120 focus/med, you'll be able to keep up both provo masteries and still be regaining mana slowly which is enough to power your RC and occasional cleansing winds.

If you did peace instead of provo, it would be much easier to keep the masteries up while casting you RC's and cleansing winds.

Another nice thing that you may note; in stone form with 120 myst/focus it is extremely difficult for a player to disrupt your spell songs if you are running the preservance ability, unless you get hit by damage from an armor ignore or a flame strike.
Typically anything else will be reduced below your interruption threshold.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
hmmm, that said.... dosnt stone form also give you all 70 resists?

for siege that might be pretty nice, eh?
wear a no resists LRC suit then stone form.
that way if you die and loose your suit your out 16LRC per piece which is nothing to replace.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stone form raises your resist caps, doesn't give you all 70's. Since I dont have code access I'll have to guess I think stone form can take your resists up to 74max . However, since the preservance damage reduction effect takes place after the resistance factor, if you were hit with physical 100 damage, armour would reduce it to 26, and preservance would reduce that by a further 24% so probably somewhere around 19 damage final.

Pretty sweet no?

Even an armor ignore will be reduced to 28-29 damage, so it will still interrupt, but that's still something.

Also important to note that mastery effects don't end immediately. So even if you were interrupted, you still enjoy 1-2 seconds of damage reduction before the effect wears off. One of the reasons I run my bards with FC-4 because I can usually get the spellsong started again quickly.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
nope sorry, give you +9 to each resists and +4 to each resists cap

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah well, haven't looked at stone form in a loooong time. lemme go edit my figures for correctness.
Incidentally there's a thread way back in bard forum that begins with the words Poo Storm!!!
It cracks me up.

Montie1123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ok so im taking up SW till i can get my hands on the 120 scrolls for mystic/focus as i have the 120 SW right now. One thing did they change it so you cant charm Meers anymore. I get a message saying i cant char that or is it because my karma is so high there blue to me?