• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Player Questions

onion456

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi All, returning player with a few questions... and any other returnees, feel free to use this thread to ask your questions as well =)

1) regarding +skill items... do some take you over the cap and some do not? for example, my miner has +3 gloves of mining... he is 100 mining, so the gloves take him to 103. in contrast, my mage is about 88 real magery, he has a +11 magery ring, taking him to 99 and change... i tried to equip a +10 magery bracelet too, but i only gained 0.4 from it, taking me to 100.0. what gives?

2) power scrolls... how do these effect the skill cap? am i still capped at 700 total, so if i go to 120 in one skill, i'd need to free up 20 points in another?

i guess thats all for now! thanks for the replies. =)

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm not a 100 percent sure about this info. Hopefully others will correct me and explain it further. My understanding is that if the skill can only go to 100, you can use an item to go over the skill cap, such as the goves and jacob's pick ax for mining, the herb basket for cooking. If your chacters have the skill up too 120, you can use items such as jewelry to reach the skill cap. Example, my miner has the skill limit of 100. She uses the mining gloves to raise mining 105. My tamer's real skill is at 110 (skill cap 120) but her jewelry takes taming to 120. My Mage's real skill is 120. She wears a ring that has a plus 5 Mage skill. She stays at 120.
Scrolls raise the skill cap for that skill, so yes you would have to lower another skill as you will your cap will still be 700.
A tip on scroll scrolls: you can use scroll binders to combine lower scrolls to make a higher scroll. It saves money though will take longer. I took the lower imbuing quest, combined them until I had the 120 scroll. You can find more information here and on uoguide

Last edited:

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) regarding +skill items... do some take you over the cap and some do not? for example, my miner has +3 gloves of mining... he is 100 mining, so the gloves take him to 103. in contrast, my mage is about 88 real magery, he has a +11 magery ring, taking him to 99 and change... i tried to equip a +10 magery bracelet too, but i only gained 0.4 from it, taking me to 100.0. what gives?
Items with +Skill will take you up to your skill cap. Your natural skill cap for any skill is 100.0. This can be increased by using powerscrolls. If you have 88.0 Magery and equip a +10 Magery ring, it will bring you to 98.0 Magery. If you ten equip a +10 Magery bracelet, it will take you to 100.0, not 108.0. Your skill cap (of 100.0) prevents it from going higher. If your skill cap was raised to 110.0 (by using An Exalted Scroll of Magery), the same two items would bring you to 108.0 Magery.

Mining Gloves are an exceptional case. They will raise your Mining Skill, even if you are at the cap of 100.0. If you equip Ringmail Gloves of Mining (+5), when at GM Skill (100.0), you will have 105.0 Mining (and all of the benefits thereof). There are no powerscrolls for Mining.

2) power scrolls... how do these effect the skill cap? am i still capped at 700 total, so if i go to 120 in one skill, i'd need to free up 20 points in another?
Powerscrolls do not raise the total skill points you can have. They allow you raise a skill past 100.0 (up to 120.0) and take full advantage of being at that skill value. You can use either real skill points or item skill points to take advantage of the powerscroll (or for that matter any skill below GM).

You may find additional information here:
http://www.uoguide.com/Power_Scrolls
http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/stat-and-skills-general/scrolls-of-power

Since you initially mentioned Magery, you may also find this useful to determine your casting chance and how high you want to take the skill:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/magery.php

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not a 100 percent sure about this info. Hopefully others will correct me and explain it further. My understanding is that if the skill can only go to 100, you can use an item to go over the skill cap, such as the goves and jacob's pick ax for mining, the herb basket for cooking. If your chacters have the skill up too 120, you can use items such as jewelry to reach the skill cap. ...
Skill bonus items will take you up to your skill cap, determined by any powerscroll you may have consumed. If the +Skill item takes you beyond your cap, you will not beneft from the points above your cap (e.g. your Animal Taming is capped at 110.0, yet you have enough jewelry to go to 120.0, you will still be considered as having 110.0 Animal Taming, and no higher).

Mining Gloves are an exception, they can take your skill above 100.0, which is the skill cap for Mining. However, Jacob's Pickaxe will not increase your Mining above 100.0. Jacob's Pickaxe can be used in conjunction with Mining Gloves to increase your skill to 100.0 (the pickaxe) and then above 100.0 (the gloves).

I am not experienced with the +Cooking from the herb basket.