• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player needing a little advice.

M

Myrdyr

Hi folks,

I am a returning player, I last played just after T2A went live, so quite a long time ago :)

I can see things have changed significantly, I prefer playing a high dex warrior toon, so have been trolling these forums digging up info. What I have come up with it this:

Fencing 120
Bushido 120
Parry 120
Tactics 90
Anatomy 90
Healing 90
Chivalry 70

My question is regarding INT.

I was thinking:

STR 100
DEX 125
INT 25

But is 25 INT going to be enough? If not is it possible to boost INT using items to an acceptable level?

Thanks in advance.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As an elf, 25 int will be barely enough. As a human, 25 int isn't even close.

But stat gaining items (like stormgrip, for example, for +8 int) will help you in the long run. My swordsman has +20 strength, +35 dex and +8 int, which enables me to have 120 str, 150 dex and 43 int (natural 100, 115, 35). I keep thinking about dropping some of that strength and putting it into intelligence as well, but being able to stand against Paroxysmus is rather important to me.

M

Myrdyr

One thing that template doesn't have is resist magic.

Resists used to be pretty much a necessity when I last played, although many posts I have read state that it is no longer considered to be a vital skill by many people?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most of what resist can do now can be duplicated with items.
If someone poisons you, an orange petal or cure potion cures it.
If someone paralyzes you, a trapped box sets you free.
If someone curses you, faction bandages, an apple or the chivalry spell remove curse uncurses you.
The only problem you'll have is with mana vampire, and the easy solution to that is running away until it wears off.

And unlike back when T2A was new, resist magic has no effect on direct damage spells. Elemental resists on your armor takes care of those spells.

So while resist is really nice to have, it isn't the mandatory skill it used to be.

M

Myrdyr

OK that makes very good sense the way you explained it.

So I'm thinking with the template I mentioned above I will aim for:

STR 90
DEX 90
INT 45

In the short term until I get myself a +25 stats scroll.

My next question is regarding weapons, would it be better to use a 2H fencing weapon, or stick with a 1H fencing weapon leaving the other free to chug potions? Or maybe macro a weapon switch to a 1H to chug potions?

Sorry for all the questions, but I like to plan my toons well in advance and I have a little catching up to do with all the changes first :)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With those stats, make sure you use fast weapons. A kryss with SSI or something like that.

As for the question, the only good answer anyone can give to you is "try it and see." Some people swear by their two handed weapons, some by one handed weapons and chugging. It's one of those questions that both sides of the discussion are right, because it works for them. As for me, I don't PvP with my swordsman (connection issues, I'm too slow), but I'm a big believer in one handed weapons and chugging when I'm left with no choice. Although, my rune blade collection is rather nice too. Disarm and great damage!

M

Myrdyr

I am not so sure how much I will be into PVP this time around, I am predominantly a PVP player in every game, but I have recently moved to a developing country with very bad internet and a 500ms ping to the western world, so PVP is probably out for me.

Why a faster weapon? Those stats will only be temporary until I get a scroll, then I will go for:

STR 100
DEX 115
INT 35

Then again that's probably a way off.

C

Connor_Graham

Dex should be 125 after the scroll. You'll need fast weapons because your swing speed depends on your stamina, which is determined by your dex. Since you're starting out with a low dex, you'll need the faster weapons to make up the difference. It will also help you a lot to have SSI on any weapons you use, along with mana leech and stamina leech.

M

Myrdyr

What is SSI? I've been gone a long time so no idea what it means :)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At 90 stamina, according to the weapons page on stratics, a fencer will swing at max speed and do the most damage with a short spear, a kryss or tekagi. Those all have a swing speed of 2. Since you'll never be at 90 stamina in a fight, swing speed increase (SSI) is needed.

When your stamina increases to 120 (you gain a tick of swing speed at 120), that changes. At that point, your best damagers will be the double bladed staff and the long spear (both two handed weapons).

At 150 stamina, your best damagers become the leaf blade and the long spear.

Since your stamina decreases every time you're hit and since your swing speed is based on stamina (not dex), you need a faster weapon, preferrably with SSI at low dex (such as 90) and you can save the slower weapons, like the spear or leaf blade, for when you have more stamina to play with.

In this game, speed is everything. Faster spells are more effective than slower spells. Faster weapons are more effective than slower weapons. And unfortunately, a faster connection beats the tar out of a slower one.

500ms? Wow. I ping 150-200 at bad times (usually 90-120) and still won't try melee PvP on my home server.

M

Myrdyr

OK I get the idea now.

Do weapon specials come into play much?

And yeah 500ms sucks big time, I can't play some MMO at all, definately can't play my old WOW rogue anymore, not with that kind of latency.

So I will probably be mostly PVM these days unfortuantely.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weapon specials are situational. As a fencer, you'll likely use whirlwind if you have kama, and otherwise nothing. Disarm is good against human NPCs too. If you have very good mana leech on your weapon, then you can use more armor ignore type specials.

And with your connection and likely PvM activities, you may also want to try out the "Sampire" (necro-warrior) templates. With that, even if you lose connection for a few seconds, you can almost always survive.

M

Myrdyr

OK so weapon specials should not be part of the choice of weapon to use then?

I thought about a necro/warrior but I really don't liek playing casting classes in the slightest.

I chose fencing this time around (always swords before) becuase I liked the look of the war fork with it's bleed and disarm, but if weapon speciasl aint really worth worrying about I could take swordsmanship again instead, which would you recommend?

C

Connor_Graham

I thought about a necro/warrior but I really don't liek playing casting classes in the slightest.
The Sampire template isn't a casting template. The only spell you cast is Vamp form, and that's only if you die as the form is permanent until the spell is recast. Regs aren't needed as a pair of arcane boots hold more than enough charges to last for months.