• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

returning player. need tips

Mirko 75

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hello everyone. I'm a mage tamer. Taming, Animal lore, veterinary, magery, meditation, Eva. Int all 120
Stats: Str 100 Dex 40 Int. 150. My armor 85/70/70/70/75 (elf) lrc 100% lmc40% mr17 dci 45% sdi 40% (without spellbook) fc4 fcr6 rpd 20%. Primary hand free. This template ok? What can I change?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the mage tamer is still a useful general purpose template. You can change anything beyond the skills you consider essential, in most tamers that's tame, lore and vet. But it really depends what you don't like about the template and what other skills you're interested in. And most importantly, whether you just want to make small changes or you're really bored with that template and want a total re-build. I think the best idea is to play the template you have while you're getting back into the game again, then you'll be able to make a more informed choice about your template.

From generic mage tamers I've created a stealth shepherd, a disco provo bard tamer, a disco spellweaving tamer, a necro spellweaving tamer and I've got a fisher chef tamer. So you can go in many directions.

When I build a tamer, I start with my taming skills, decide how high they need to be and those skill points are allocated. Then I decide which other skills I want to keep and which I would be willing to change. I also look at any skills which I could safely lower and get some skill points back. Once I know how many free skill points I can play with, I can allocate them to another skill and see if the template is well rounded. By which I mean that I can keep myself and my pets alive, can do some damage and can function with or without pets.

You may also be in the position where you have other skills on that account which could be stoned over to your tamer. I sometimes find another template isn't being used much so I'll re-mix it into an odd tamer experiment. It's a quick way to give your characters a fresh interest especially if you're returning to UO and don't want to be training on your first day!

Wenchy

BuzzTB

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I am a returning player as well and I dusted off my peace tamer. I think a stealth tamer would be fun to play. I was working on a stealth/tamer/herder on my 2nd account years ago, mainly to get in and get squirrels haha.

My template looks like this for my peace tamer.

Animal Lore - 120.0
Animal Taming - 120.0
Musicianship - 120.0
Peacemaking - 120.0
Veterinary - 120.0
Magery - 100.0
Total - 700.0/720.0

I really don't use magery other then recall and gates.

I have always done well with her, let my pets do all the work haha.

Welcome back

Mirko 75

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
thank you a lot. Now I can kill easily ancient wyrm, miasma, great dragon, oni and more. I have much problem when mob targeting me. I die fast. Invisibility are slow in protection mode. Usually I need to cast invisibility, great cure, again invisibility and great heal but they hit me hard. What can I use? Mage weapon? I can swap meditation with resist spells or anatomy, or wrestling I don't know what's better. Or I can swap Eva int. The pet kill I just heal it and me. No need dealer damage

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
thank you a lot. Now I can kill easily ancient wyrm, miasma, great dragon, oni and more. I have much problem when mob targeting me. I die fast. Invisibility are slow in protection mode. Usually I need to cast invisibility, great cure, again invisibility and great heal but they hit me hard. What can I use? Mage weapon? I can swap meditation with resist spells or anatomy, or wrestling I don't know what's better. Or I can swap Eva int. The pet kill I just heal it and me. No need dealer damage
The way i see it is that the strenght of the mage tamer is that I have room for meditation so alot of mana to spend
I use a pet with very high resist and hp (well that is a greater dragon:) ) and use slayer spellbooks and as much sdi i can have/afford then try to heal my pet as little as possible to save mana for offensive spells

The easiest way to get defensive skills is probably to go with a -0 skill mage wep like staff of magi but any mage wep will work just boost your magery with +magery items
You can also go with 220 skills in anatomy eval or 120 wepon or wrestling just like you said

I have not played with orange petails in awhile but they use to be good vs low lvl poison or greater cure pots but those got nerfed and in my opinion is not all that good pvm anymore
You can also break agro by teleporting that use to work good vs paragorns

Try to play without protection when I vet heal I use protection but most times when I play a mage tamer i m not in protection a mage tamer heal very fast with magery and have alot of mana to spend so you can stay at a safe distance
mini heals and mini cures are very fast to heal yourself

Try to look up Casting focus I have played so little the last couple years so have not got to try it so I can not say if how much u need or if it is any good in pvm but it is worth a look

Mirko 75

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
thanks. Now I've magic weapon with crystalline ring and I swapped evaluation intelligence with resisting spells. I have dci70. Is there some mob who hit with hit lower def?