• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player after 20 years. Have questions to this build

Jovzin

Visitor
Hello guys.
I started to play again UO game after 20 years or so.
I am on Europa shard and when I started I met a nice guy who suggested me to go Archer Tamer. I told him that I like to shoot from far and want to have pet that will tank the mobs.
He suggested me to go something like this,
Archer Tamer - Elf
120 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Chivalry
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet for now but may swap for Bushido or Resist

I edited it a bit to have 120 tactics and at least 100 anatomy :
Archery 120
Animal Lore 120
Animal Tamming 120
Tactics 120
Anatomy 100
Vet 70+30 from ring/bracelet
Chiv 70+30 from ring/bracelet

Will I be able to do some content SOLO, with this build or not a chance ? I am training 2 cu sidhes. One normal Chiv+AI and another one more AOE focused ( thanks to mr Flavio from UO CAH discord ) that sufggested to go Explosive goo + Ninjutsu with FWW.

Yesterday I was watching one guy doing lvl 5 or lvl 6 treasure map and he was more of a Magery, Spelweaving and Mysticism build I think and he was rocking it with no issues. Within 15 minutes he was finished :D. I was thinking to maybe swap the Veterinary for Spelweaving but it would be a bit more hassle than I was thinking.
Right now I am going 110(120) STR and 140(130) DEX and 10 INT and at least 200 stamina with 40-50SSI to have those 1.25 times swings.. And that Spelweaving would need to put INT instead of DEX and put either FOCUS or MEDITATION to sustain that Spelweaving a bit more.

So right now I think this Archer Tamer is a waste of my 9 months training :( And will not be able to do some mid or harded content alone with it...

What are your thoughts on this ? Did I screwed up and should have made a bit more research before training that char ? Or it is still usefull for some content ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Use hunters headdress and other items to get archery points. You will use taming mastery for consume. A triton makes a great pet for you. You will do more damage than the pet. Tritons have high HP and heal. Cus are not bad.

With hunters headress and despicable quiver you can have 95 real archery but go to 120.

You will be a one target at a time build. So, you will be good at some encounters and not at others.

My real skills are this:
1690647591530.png

With items it goes to:
1690648381171.png

My stats are:
1690647715321.png

I have max SSI without a town buff.
My Strength is low so I could do more damage if I could bring that up.
The focus keeps mana regen going.
I use a composite bow.

You need to use weapons that fit your target, with slayers I can use specials and run Consume. If I cant use a slayer my mana will slowly deplete with consume.

My most tanky pet is this one:
1690647976147.png 1690647997965.png

I can use many pet types tho.

I like playing my Archer/tamer.

Jovzin

Visitor
Hello Pawain.
Thank you for the information.
How do you heal your pet ?
I took veterinary due to this to be able to toss some emergency heal in case my pet is not able to heal itself .

Your build looks nice too. Thinking too to keep tactics and anatomy at 110 .

Btw you dexterity at 150 is the base one or with some items providing dexterity ?
Bcs right now I have STR at 110 and planning to do DEX to 140 and INT at 10.
But I se e you have 150 DEX and 54 INT. Hmm I assume there are some items that are helping you to get that 54 INT right ?

I do not have Triton yet as I need to buy that booster High Sees I think it is called. And than I can have Triton.

What encounters are you doing mainly with this Archer Tamer ?

Thank you sir for help :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello Pawain.
Thank you for the information.
How do you heal your pet ?
I took veterinary due to this to be able to toss some emergency heal in case my pet is not able to heal itself .

Your build looks nice too. Thinking too to keep tactics and anatomy at 110 .

Btw you dexterity at 150 is the base one or with some items providing dexterity ?
Bcs right now I have STR at 110 and planning to do DEX to 140 and INT at 10.
But I se e you have 150 DEX and 54 INT. Hmm I assume there are some items that are helping you to get that 54 INT right ?

I do not have Triton yet as I need to buy that booster High Sees I think it is called. And than I can have Triton.

What encounters are you doing mainly with this Archer Tamer ?

Thank you sir for help :)
I heal with consume as needed. Make sure the pet does not get surrounded by mobs.

I usually use him with a group. I mostly play all my templates with a group. But he does do the dynamic spawns and dungeons.

When you are alone you have to keep the pet under control and not let it get too many mobs on it. You also have to keep yourself alive since you are on foot. So it does take a while to get your tactics down. But they do deal a lot of damage to a target.

I wear britches of warding, Ozymandias obi, gloves of feudal grip, prismatic lenses. 1 nice studded piece that has high resists and decent stats, then 2 crafted studded pieces. so, yes I wear items with + dex/stamina and +Intel/mana.

And any toon I make will only have 110 or 115 scrolls in Tact, Anat because my pets eat the 120s.

A Cu works fine. I kill Balrons in Chaos with them when I am increasing Fame/honor. This guy kills the paragons a lot faster than any of my other templates.

Jovzin

Visitor
Hello Pawain.
Uff thank you for the information.
I see quite nice items you have. You got them in a group or you were able to solo the bosses and get the items ?
Btw how can I get the 60SSI ? Right now my max is 40SSI from bow. And can have +5SSI from town bonus.

Pitty I can not imbue ring or braclet with SSI :(

Thank you again for the info and hints :) So in the end my Archer Tamer should be OK and I should be able to do some dungeons or other content with it.

Btw one more question. Today I saw one guy with a CU that had CHIV/AI/REPEL is that possible ? When I try to put this in CAH Pet planner it will give me error that those are 4 Magic abilities.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hello Pawain.
Uff thank you for the information.
I see quite nice items you have. You got them in a group or you were able to solo the bosses and get the items ?
Btw how can I get the 60SSI ? Right now my max is 40SSI from bow. And can have +5SSI from town bonus.

Pitty I can not imbue ring or braclet with SSI :(

Thank you again for the info and hints :) So in the end my Archer Tamer should be OK and I should be able to do some dungeons or other content with it.

Btw one more question. Today I saw one guy with a CU that had CHIV/AI/REPEL is that possible ? When I try to put this in CAH Pet planner it will give me error that those are 4 Magic abilities.
You can get 10 ssi on rings and bracelets there is quiver with ssi as well

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes you can get many variations of 5 and 10 SSI jewels with one or more stats. Then imbue other things on.

Repel is not a useful ability.

Play and you will learn things that keep you both alive and killing.

Jovzin

Visitor
Hello @Pawain
Thank you again for answers and hints.

May I ask you ( hope last question :D )
I was going through some older posts and saw this from @PlayerSkillFTW from this thread Archer Tamer
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Archery
120 Tact
90 Vet
GM Chiv
50 Bushido

One of the best pets for a Archer/Tamer is a 4 slot 120 Disco+CB Triton as you ride a Swampy or Ethy. The Triton will tank the foe and debuff their Resists (particularly Energy), while you use Double Shot/AP with a 100% Energy Yumi that has Slayer/HML/HSL/Hit Lightning/DI (or HLA if you don't need the DI, and use Mace & Shield variant to apply HLD as well). You can run Consume Damage on your pet while leeching Mana back with shots. The Bushido is for Double Shot/AP with Yumi, Honor, and Confidence. This build has a lot of damage output while providing some group utility with debuffs (Disco+CB+AP+HLA+HLD).

This one template looks nice too. I just need to buy today that High Seas booster to be able to buy Triton.
Anyway I was thinking Anatomy could be nice for even more single target DPS. So maybe one more question. Anatomy does not provide more healing in veterinary like it does for healing myself ?
Maybe I have a wrong thinking but I was thinking that going 120 tact and at least 100 anatomy and 120 chiv would be the most single target DPS gain ?

RIght now I must say thinking to change the template to something like
120 Taming
120 Lore
100 Archery +20 Hunters Headress
120 Tact
100 Chiv + 20 from ring/bracelet
70 Vet + 30 from bracelet / ring
70 Magery + 30 from bracelet / ring for the healing of pet. Or going that Bushido 70 ?

I must say I am still thinking what to do with that Vet. I know there are some bosses that are doing AOE dmg where I would not be able to heal pet via Vet or I will die :D So maybe that magery or spelweaving could be better option.
Keep my template for 110 STR and 120 or 130 DEX and try to get INT via the items and get a bow with Mana leach. So I can keep consume dmg mastery on the pet. Crap I really should have done more research those 9 months ago :(

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No anatomy does not help with vet. TC is not available right now. But you can copy there when it is back and raise and lower you anatomy to see how it affects the base damage number.

It is the least powerful modifier for damage. If you could get more strength, you would overcome what you lose with anatomy. Which is not easy without the dungeon armor pieces.

If you try a magic ability you have little mana and little mana regen. So you have to take that into consideration.

Jovzin

Visitor
No anatomy does not help with vet. TC is not available right now. But you can copy there when it is back and raise and lower you anatomy to see how it affects the base damage number.

It is the least powerful modifier for damage. If you could get more strength, you would overcome what you lose with anatomy. Which is not easy without the dungeon armor pieces.

If you try a magic ability you have little mana and little mana regen. So you have to take that into consideration.
Hello Pawain,

Thank you very much for the reply and help.

I must say I still have issues with the final template. Somehow need to decide on the final build.
For sure I will go 120 Animal lore and Animal tamming
100 Archery and + 20 from Hunters Headress ( btw this item will I be able to farm it in the Doom dungeon alone or rather try ask in general chat if somebody has it for a good price ? )
120 Tactics for sure I want
Should I keep Anatomy at 100 or get rid of it ? Was thinking to imbue ring and bracelet with +8 strength so will have 110 basic STR +16 so 126 STR ,could be nice I think ?
I think to go 120 Chiv could be nice or 100 CHiv + 20 from items
Vet, well you do not have it in your template so maybe I can skip it too. And go 100 Focus instead for that Stam and mana regen.

And I will try that test server for sure when it will be avalaible.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
May I ask you ( hope last question :D )
I was going through some older posts and saw this from @PlayerSkillFTW from this thread Archer Tamer
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Archery
120 Tact
90 Vet
GM Chiv
50 Bushido
I am running this and it works great. I choose pets based on what I want to do. I use a 100% energy drake and it slices through balrons and blood elementals in blood dungeon and my archery really helps for the paragons that spawn. Archer/Tamers are fun to play. The drakes are easy to tame and train and since the platinum/crimson come in 100% damage for each damage type, it makes it a nice pet to use for many things. I generally scroll them to 110 because I experiment a lot with them when training them.