• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Returning miner looking for advice

QII

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi guys and gals,

When I last played UO you were able to mark runes at certain ore types, but I read you can't anymore because the ore types shift around. My question is....how did the miners adapt to this and how do they go mine specific ore types??

Thanks...

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Veins still exist but they change often. I don't know how often but every time you mine a vain there's a chance it will change. So you still can mark a "veins runebook" but you will need to renew it pretty often. My fillings is like you usually dry a vein 10+ times before it changes.

You also can use prospector's tools and gargoyle pickaxes to upgrade vein. I never mark veins because I can upgrade iron to shadow. Shadow ingots nowdays often are more expensive than gold and agapite ones.
100 magery + mage weapon + 70 tactics/anatomy is enough to kill fast any elems summoned by gargoyle pickaxes. And additional 25 ore from a corpse doesn't hurt.

With a fire beetle you can mine 3.5k ingots per an hour using prospector's tools (or 5k without).
How does prospector's tool work?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also note that if you have ore books, the runes are still useful if you sorted them out for high-percentage, high-count veins.

If, before randomization, if a spot typically put out 20-30 ore, it will still put out 20-30 ore when mined.

If, before randomization, if a spot typically gave out 60% colored, 40% iron ore, those percentages will still hold true, though if the spot's currently iron-only, you'll have to use a Prospector's tool and/or Gargoyle's Pickaxe to get the colored ore. (Note: the devs that wrote the description of Elves for Mondain's Legacy mistakenly thought that all ore sites gave 40% colored - anyone who's ever mined knows better. I've seen spots that regularly only gave 10% or less color, and others approaching 80-90% color, every time they were mined).

So, if you kept fine-tuning your books for the best return per trip, the resulting runes are still going to pay off big-time - just random ore color.