• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returned after 8 years ...

Kayla Dragonclaw

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hello!

I played UO from 1997 to 2007. Since then I have tried a lot of other sandbox games - I most recently participated in the Linkrealms beta - but none could compare to UO.

So I spontaneously reactived my account yesterday. I've decided to play on the Atlantic shard as it seems to be the most active.

Before I left, I really enjoyed running a little shop. Is that still worth it?

Can you still successfully run a shop outside of Luna?

What kind of things sell?

How do you generally make money in UO these days?

I have all the expansions up to the one with the gargoyles. Do I also need High Seas and the King's Collection?

I never really enjoyed fishing, so I'm wondering.

Are there any other things that I should absolutely know as a returning player?

I hope you can help me.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
welcome, you have chosen just the right time to re-activate as all active accounts will receive the new expansion at no cost.
Running a shop outside of Luna is actually more possible now rather than less since the introduction of vendor search.
High seas, while not essential, was bought by some people simply for the storage increase that was included in it. While it is mainly concerned with fishing there are also 'sea' related encounters such as Corgul the soulbinder and pirate quests - or you could become a pirate yourself and attack merchant vessels.

Kings collection is decor items, including some that are craftable only by crafters who have the expansion.

Kayla Dragonclaw

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for your answer, Petra!

I'll wait before I make a decision regarding High Seas and the King's Collection then. It doesn't seem as if they are absolutely necessary.

I just noticed that my account is already 119 months old which means I can pick a veteran reward again next month. Which 10 year reward is best?

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rewards are a big personal preference issue, but I would always suggest being extremely cautious with your picks. Most of the choices can be bought in-game for gold, which means they are not IMO good choices for your own rewards. Soulstones are what I would always suggest for picks, because those are extremely handy, and you can never really have enough.
That being said, of the 10 year rewards, the only ones that would interest me at all are the t-map and mib rugs...but consider that they only give one a week, and the maps are at most lvl 4, and it becomes a novelty that I would rather not waste another possible soulstone on.

Nebuchadnezzar

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Played from 1997 to 2005. My main chars were Nebuchadnezzar and Aravan on the Great Lakes server. Had the honor to be in C*P for years and play with Permafrost(RIP), the best mage and shot caller I ever came across. Man I miss those times.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best choice will depend on your playstyle. Just because you have year 10 eligibility doesn't necessarily mean a year 10 reward would be best. Several new rewards have been introduced over the last few years at lower levels. I would suggest that you read over the full list of what is available before making a choice.
You can find an upto date list here