• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returing tamer, ready to update pets..

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks,

Well, DM my tamer, is looking at updating his pets. I use EC and Pincos, so I use the new lore tool. I lored some of my pets and their scores are rather low, although they are well trained. I just spent the last hour, hunting nightmares for the leather, but lored each one before the kill to see what their scores were. The highest score I saw was 3.7.

I haven't really checked any other possible pets yet, but what score would you be looking for in a new pet? Does anyone actually see possible pets with scores above 4.0...4.5...anything actually approaching 5? I'd like to think about a new mare, rune beetle, CUs, and have to go get my first GD (I have a dragon and WW, no GD). What kinda scores can I expect? What would you guys look for?

Thanks for the assist folks, appreciate it.

DM

PS, as I was reading was hit with idea, could it be the area I am searching, I'm doing the spawn down around Doom.

Last edited:

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will have to farm for a while to get great scores, but they are absolutely out there. I rarely hunt with anything on any of my tamers that is under 4.0. With that said, you need to understand your pets and what their strength/weaknesses are and what they're good against. I have some high 3.X pets that are VERY effective because their stats/resists are "in the right places". It's nice to see you looking at pets OTHER than a gdrag. I get tired of "tamers" who can only survive while toting a gdrag around. As reference, looking at my multiple tamers stables, my best nightmare is a 4.9 (yes, you read that right....4 TOTAL points in stats/resists from being perfect), a 4.5 gdrag, 4.4 rune beetle, 4.4 cu sidhe, 4.2 bake kitsune, 4.5 unicorn, 4.2 hiryu, 3.9 dread mare. Well, you get the idea. But understand that it took a LOT of time farming to find these critters. When the mare spawned in front of me I almost creamed myself....

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"When the mare spawned in front of me I almost creamed myself.... " LOL, yeah, I can see that happening.

I like my pets, I like using different pets, I like messing with 'em. Ain't quite as much fun if all you use is a GD. I use my pets solo, I'm not guilded, I haven't been on a run in probably 6 to 7 yrs, hahah. Maybe I'll join a guild once I get my pets updated and see about heading out on some runs. I could use the experience and companionship of something that can talk back to me.

Nice stable there Aibal. I'm in no big hurry to fill my stable, but it is something on the to do list. Appreciate you making sure I know that the pets above 4.0 are out there. I have the patience to get what I want.

DM
Tamer
Baja

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I went back out and found me a decent, more than decent, nightmare. Took a number of taming attempts, and one death....been gone a long time... one death aint bad.....and I got one that was rated a 4.2 on the lore gump. Once he was tamed, he shows as only a 3, but the Stratics calc sez he is a 95%....so I'm happy. I'll give him a week and start the training. In the meantime, I'll have to start looking for a good CU. After that, a new Rune......then go and get me my first GD.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you're looking at pet upgrades, the pet power ratings are a handy guide but I don't recommend relying too heavily on that number alone. Read the lore info carefully and consider what the pets strengths and weaknesses are and how those compare to your old pet if you can. Sometimes you'll find a pet with a better rating, but the distribution of its resists or skills isn't as good as those on your old pet.

My approach has always been to tame the best pet I find on day 1, feed and stable it then go back to the spawn looking for something better. I set myself a deadline usually a week or so of hunting, and if I can't find anything better then I'll stick with that pet. Otherwise I'll replace it with any stronger pets I find until I'm happy with the result. I go around with the stats of my best pet and the maximums for that pet in an NPC book and lore spawn searching for something that's between those figures. I might go back later and have a look for the elusive perfect pet, but I really don't worry if my pet isn't a 4.5 or better :)

Wenchy

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Wenchy, good info and better thinking, appreciate your help.

DM
Tamer
Baja