• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

resisting spells or eval int?

kze

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i curently have:
110 tame
110 lore
100 magery,res spells,vet,necro,ss

how about changing res spells to eval int? thanks,

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i curently have:
110 tame
110 lore
100 magery,res spells,vet,necro,ss

how about changing res spells to eval int? thanks,
Depends on what you're fighting. For over 90% of things you won't need resist, just run and/or hide unless they have Paragon speed. With eval you'll get more damage out of death ray, should you choose to use it. FWIW, my tamers on Atlantic & Lake Superior both use Eval, since I tend to cast on things when they're redlined.

Honestly, I would drop necro & ss - it does have its uses, but it's HIGHLY situational, and you'll likely only use it in one place (Shadowguard Roof.) Spellweaving is great for increasing a pet's longevity with Gift of Renewal. From what I can gather out of this template, you're using magery as a supplement to healing? I'd invest in a 120 Magery, which will allow you to heal more.

And this is personal preference, but you don't really need Vet anymore, IMO (although I would keep it on a soulstone in case of pet deaths.) With Consume Damage mastery, there is NOTHING in the game (that does 100% physical damage) capable of killing a greater dragon. That said, if you frequently use older pets (Rune Beetle/Nightmare combo comes to mind), I would keep Vet on in case something goes wrong & your pets die.

Reactions: kze

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Can't really argue with the above info. But, for me if I was dead set on keeping the Necro on the char (spawns and fast advancing lower levels would be about the only reason I would keep it on there personally) I would definitely drop the resist for eval.

Also to @drcossack ... with consume damage are you able to maintain the mana upkeep on it with just mr on the suit or are you also having to run at least gm med to do so?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 115 med and about 30 MR on an imbued suit with 36% LMC - Blue Luck Jewels/Blackthorn Hooded Robe/Tangle/Lucky Charm/Corgul Necro book as well. Occasionally I'll wear the Blackthorn Doublet on my tamer, but not very often.

With my suit on Atlantic (where I've only eaten Taming 2) I only have GM Med & unknown amount of MR/LMC (can't check it right now anyway since Atl is down), and I'll run out of mana if I have the Combat Training masteries running. That char has low taming though - 90 something real Taming with over 110 Lore. LS Tamer is 116.9-ish taming/120 lore - I believe that would help with the mana cost of maintaining the mastery?

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If you want damage for after your pet has mostly redlined something just grab spellweaving instead of Eval. Word of Death will drop a redlined beastie quick.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Thanks. I have been toying with the idea of dropping med. But I only run 21 mr on the suit. That along with 110 med, 40 lmc I actually slowly build mana when mastery is on. I know "diminishing return" is supposed to not be worth it at some point.. but I have not hit that point yet when it comes to my mana lol.

Definitely tweaking the build and going from 95 taming with jewls to 120 though. That natural skill makes a decent bump on them for sure. Not sure if it effects the mana upkeep though. At least going from natural 95 tame to natural 105 tame so far I have not seen any difference on that front.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm only recently getting back into taming - I solo peace tamed my first GD last night. I'm working on 6x120 magery / taming / lore / music / peace / vet. I'm in the 115-118 range now with the rest in meditation.

of course, vet is of no help when taming. Thinking about stoning it and adding resist instead. Maybe then I'll only die 20x instead of 30x.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Difficulty taming GD is way over exaggerated. You can tame a greater dragon easy with A) Orange Petals B)a cheap low score greater dragon. Just go to Blackthorn's lure a greater dragon up into the big room near when you first enter and have your cheapie out waiting there for you to return. Invis yourself and tell your dragon to attack it. Keep your cheapie healed until the other dragon you want to tame is redlined and use a petal while it's happening. Quickly stable the dragon using the post at the entrance to the dungeon. Tame the dragon, healing when necessary.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Shoot.. I can tame a GD without even getting bitten a single time, and without a peacer. *hint* - Ya gotta love the virtues :D

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Difficulty taming GD is way over exaggerated. You can tame a greater dragon easy with A) Orange Petals B)a cheap low score greater dragon. Just go to Blackthorn's lure a greater dragon up into the big room near when you first enter and have your cheapie out waiting there for you to return. Invis yourself and tell your dragon to attack it. Keep your cheapie healed until the other dragon you want to tame is redlined and use a petal while it's happening. Quickly stable the dragon using the post at the entrance to the dungeon. Tame the dragon, healing when necessary.
Shoot.. I can tame a GD without even getting bitten a single time, and without a peacer. *hint* - Ya gotta love the virtues :D
I just do it in Fel Destard if I'm in the mood to tame one. Lure it away from the rest (after checking its stats with Lore), then beat up on it in the back of the first floor.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I would replace Resist with Spellweaving. Unless you play almost exclusively in Fel at Champ Spawns, in which case I would replace it with Ninjitsu for mobility, or better yet just change to a gargoyle.