• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Request for Time Shifting Events

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has ordered to stop setting clocks back in winter beginning in the fall of 2011, the Kremlin's press service announced today.

The move will be useful since the need to adjust to time changes causes a stress and diseases, the president explained. Russia will set clocks one hour forward in March of this year for the last time, he added.
So starting in the fall of 2011, players from Russia will have Europa events starting at midnight :sad4:
I know at least five active players attending events affected by this change.

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate today's russian government...

But... russian workers from this fall maybe not be able to join events. 12am it's a too late. This is sad :sad3:

O

Ozzmandias

You're never going to please everyone, If you had the events earlier most people in the UK and further west wouldn't be back from work yet :(.

It's a good middle of the road time as it is.

Cheers

Oz

EM Emile Layne

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you sure this change will cause a problem?

Daylightsavings shifts the clock forward by one hour during the summer. Doesn't that mean that for those who don't adhere to DLS the gap closes by one hour?
Wintertime isn't affected by DLS.

Timezones always confuse me though... so I might be completely wrong here.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event start time since fall 2011:
UK summertime season = 23:00 here
UK wintertime season = midnight here

EDIT: I knew someone who confused by Timezones too :eyes:

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you sure this change will cause a problem?

Daylightsavings shifts the clock forward by one hour during the summer. Doesn't that mean that for those who don't adhere to DLS the gap closes by one hour?
Wintertime isn't affected by DLS.

Timezones always confuse me though... so I might be completely wrong here.
Russia and Europa/UK move forward an hour for Summer around the same time in March so no issue there, But Russia aren't going to be moving back in the fall so I believe events for them would then become 12am but then of course they would go back to 11pm when Europa/UK move to Summer time again.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're never going to please everyone, If you had the events earlier most people in the UK and further west wouldn't be back from work yet :(.

It's a good middle of the road time as it is.

Cheers

Oz
There's constant talk in the UK of abandoning Summer Time as well; I expect to see it within the next 20 years or so, as slowly anything that influences trading becomes globally uniform. But as you say, you can't please everyone; Russia itself covers 11 different Time Zones alone, so pleasing people in Western Russia is always going to bother those in the East (but then they can always invade America from Kamchatka to take out some of that stress, and maybe even get a new Victory Card :p)

EM Emile Layne

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Russia and Europa/UK move forward an hour for Summer around the same time in March so no issue there, But Russia aren't going to be moving back in the fall so I believe events for them would then become 12am but then of course they would go back to 11pm when Europa/UK move to Summer time again.
Surely Russia will be moving the clock back again in the fall? Otherwise they'd effectively be switching to another timezone.

Like I said before: Daylightsavings shifts the clock forward by one hour during the summer and shifts back at the end. Wintertime isn't affected by DLS. So wintertime should be considered as 'normal time'.
At least, that's what wikipedia told me...

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for today we at UK+3 time. Since fall 2011 we switch to UTC+4 and stop touching clock twice per year.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
to be fair the uk is talking about not switching the clocks anymore...to be honest...why do we still bother...its nothing to do with farmers as they blog the roads up whatever time of year.

Crest Lavender

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well - Russia is indeed thinking about changing its timezones in general - but as far as i know
nothing has been finally decided yet - or am i wrong there?

EU Countrys are discussing the pros and cons about the Summertime since years already, but
tbh i dont expect a change there anytime soon.

How about trying to find a solution that works for everybody in the one or other way?

If i understand the problems right, its about events beeing to late for those people in
the GMT +4 Timezones, since events are starting about midnight there yet and will
move to 1am when the UK starts BST, right?

On the other hand the event-time is now set to a time, where most people are back
from work (8pm UK-Time).
Since GMT is the 'earliest' Timezone in Europa (Do Portugal switch to Summertime?), i think it might be possible to switch it a little bit to please the players in the later timezones.

Or one might could alternate the starting-times, maybe dependant on the weekday - like start events earlier on a sunday e.g.

just my thoughts about it :)