• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Request for Opinions/Information

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I am about to finish up my Tamer.

I will end up with

Lore(120)
Taming(120)
Veterinary(120)

Magery(110)

Music(115)
Peacemaking(120)

With Jewelry I will have about 50 Skill Points left over.

I can

a) put them into Focus (waste 10)
b) put them into Meditation
c) put them back into Hiding
d) Put some into Chivelry(20) and SpiritWeaving(30)
e) Your opinion

They all seem to be about equaly attractive/unattractive.

Help :blushing:

A

Azazel of LA

I myself would go with thew focus , every little bit of mana and stam can help you when your in a bind.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may do Focus(40) chivelry(5) spellweaving(5).

The Chivelry and SpellWeaving would be totaly dependant on Remove Curse and the Heal Over Time spell.

T

Tycolby

I hear that a few points in Chiv does wonders for pet at are cursed ( remove Curse)

S

Shanna

If you farm Miasma with your tamer, chiv is almost needed. If you're going to use mage, I'd say med is more important than focus... Then again, everyone has an opinion when it comes to that.

E

Evilminion

Yet another thing I love about this game is how everyone plays it differently, but we all end up with workable characters. :)

My money's on Focus or Meditation, since the regen is so critical to magery. But then, that's just me!

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Tamer is a tamer.

Everything else is totally secondary to that. Being secondary its use is not expected to be great unless it directly supports the survival of the character first, the pet(s) second.

Being down at Me's room has given me a lot to think about.

*Gets on SoapBox*

It is just .... wrong, that I can go attack a Balron with my Greater Dragon, get it 30% to 40% damaged and

a) Some one comes along and cast 2 EV's for the entire ball of wax
b) Some Archer comes along and shoots 3 arrows for the entire ball of wax
c) Some melee comes along and spends 10 seconds for the entire ball of wax
d) Some spell gets cast and the Balron is dead in one cast, two max.

OR

In short 99.9% of the time the Pet is nothing but a Meat Shield for any other class down there to get the entire ball of wax.

Ball of Wax = Win every thing.

*Gets off Soap Box*

For the Imps and Normal Balron no biggy as it would simply be Karma and Fame anyway.

BUT for the Paragon Ballron ..... To have that thing damaged 45% and have some Archer come along and shoot 4 arrows and get the Artifact Drop .... is just .... well why even bother, it isnt like that Archer/Melee/EV'r/Caster is going to go take that Paragon Bally on without some thing else providing the meat Shield.

I have lost out on 25+ consecutive Paragon Ballron's due to the above scenario's.

BUT

I have just about finished my Stealther (about 4.0 skill ups to EvalInt being GM'd). I was in the room last night with the Stealther (mage 110, focus 100, meditation 100 and EvalInt (then) 85), and I was easily holding my own with EV's and Casting Spells.

SO, it is my intent to group the two and see if I cant finaly get a Paragon Balron Drop.

It isnt that there are other places to do this, it is more to the point that if I can NOT out damage any other class (sans Theif) then I have made a gross miscalculation.

I have 5.0 Skill points (on my Stealther) to put in Magery if I can find a 115/120 Magery Power Scroll at an ... affordable price.

E

Evilminion

Actually, I'm fairly sure that if a paragon drops any sort of artie, it's random which of the looting-rights damagers gets it. I got several marties, a few chocolate ingredients, and two chests from paragon balrons in Mel's room, and with my little hiryu, I certainly managed less than 50% damage in any of those fights.

The same was definitely true for Mel: all you needed was looting rights, and you had as much chance of getting an arty drop as anyone else who did enough damage for rights. :) Comparing notes with all the other folks in the room at the same time, three out of the five times we dropped her that evening, she had no arties or marties at all. The only things she was guaranteed to be carrying when she died were her doublet, cloak, and necklace. She almost always had a bunch of peerless ingredients. All else was potluck.

So don't worry, you've got just as much a chance of getting any particular loot as I do, and moreso since your dragon can flatten a paragon before my hiryu takes three bites. :D :D

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I'm fairly sure that if a paragon drops any sort of artie, it's random which of the looting-rights damagers gets it. I got several marties, a few chocolate ingredients, and two chests from paragon balrons in Mel's room, and with my little hiryu, I certainly managed less than 50% damage in any of those fights.

The same was definitely true for Mel: all you needed was looting rights, and you had as much chance of getting an arty drop as anyone else who did enough damage for rights. :) Comparing notes with all the other folks in the room at the same time, three out of the five times we dropped her that evening, she had no arties or marties at all. The only things she was guaranteed to be carrying when she died were her doublet, cloak, and necklace. She almost always had a bunch of peerless ingredients. All else was potluck.

So don't worry, you've got just as much a chance of getting any particular loot as I do, and moreso since your dragon can flatten a paragon before my hiryu takes three bites. :D :D
I had no problems with Mels loot and agree with your assessment.

I am not in agreement in terms of the Paragon. One would think if it were random, then in general with 3 people on it, that I would stand a 33% chance of being the one that was rewarded. To have missed 25+ consecutive artie rewards would seem to be stretching the pRNG's failure. Now if the Paragon were to NOT always reward an artie then ok things can come into alignment of just the wrong time of the day or what ever.

I freely admit I am clueless as to how these newer things work so I accept that I may be wrong.

BUT the issues is still on the table for me. I spend 3 minutes working the Paragon down (NOT to) 40-45% and an Archer comes along and free shoots 3 .. 5 arrows and drops it. Were we measure in seconds not minutes.

I am not really wanting to bad mouth Archers or anything.

I just need to come to terms of what each of the class's can do and I got the impression there is a Tamer Template that can be a Melee some how. perhaps a Paladin Tamer Template?

Tek

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may do Focus(40) chivelry(5) spellweaving(5).

The Chivelry and SpellWeaving would be totaly dependant on Remove Curse and the Heal Over Time spell.
if your human you can cast chiv spells at min 20 naturally, u just need book and tithe

A

Andore

i would say this and you can discard/take what you will.on my tamer i can kill a para balron in less than 3 min.i do beleive i have lored your GD and it is far better than mine.furthermore with my luck suit (957 luck)1 out 4 para bally's give a martie.1out of 3 if i tag a statue.my template is:

115 animal lore
115 taming
110 magery
103 music (will be 115)
65 discord (will be 120)
100 focus (will be 0)
117 vet (will be 120)

as with anything else it is all about what tactics you use when monster hunting.luck is a definate factor when getting marties,chests maps etc. .
if you have any questions i will be happy to answer 'em in game just contact me ICQ or PM me and i will be happy to help.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think my Luck is around 300 to 400.

If Luck plays a part in getting the Artifact drop, then I am very clueless as to how they (OSI/EAM) coded that determination. And would go back to believing I am as equally clueless as to what Luck does for a character.

If anyone can give me the rules on how the determination is made then I would greatly appreciate it.

In general, I do not fault the GD or me or any tamer.

I am not wanting to indicate anything should be nerfed/changed.

Even with my Stealther, he can cast 2 EV's and out damage the GD with ease, as long as the MoB doesnt retarget the EV's and dispell them. Even so, with his Focus(100), Meditation(100), recasting an EV is not really a big issue as they were not being retargeted fast enough for him to get into a mana drain scenario.

I did this for learning purposes on a Greater Dragon (Several) in Destard.

I am assuming the Archers and the Melee's were using an appropriate Slayer weapon and any advantages Chivalry was giving them. There is clearly no doubt in my mind that those two templates were droping the ParaBalron much faster than my Greater could. Again it isnt about ... envy, it is trying to understand how they are doing it, what can I do to be more efficient/effective. I probably would not even consider adding Archery to my Tamer. BUT I might consider creating a character with Lore+Taming skills to control a Mob AND have melee skills.

Our template design only seems to differ in the Focus and the limits of some skills. You went Discord I went Peace. As it turns out the Peace is basicaly as good as Honor vs most things except the Greater Dragons. That means I can peace them and mostly just stare them in the face taming them. The Tweeners Dragons to War Horses I need to lead tame them, but they dont have a lot of Spit left in them peaced and when they break peace I just run up a bit and repeace them. Greater Dragons ... well now that is a different tail. Now that I am Legendary Tamer, I can Honor tame them, usually, in one Honor cycle. I dont really tame them any more except for an upgrade.. My Honor is staying between 3rd tier 4th bubble and 3rd tier 5th bubble. So the peace is working out for me.

I am very torn on the Focus vs Meditation. Your choice and AZ's observation are very much in line with mine. I am just currently in the 50's in meditation working it down bring veterinary from 110 to 120.

The more I look at it, the more I am regening Mana than I am Stamina. This is leaning me towards keeping the Meditation. I may change this to focus after Veterinary is done, not like it is an effort to switch back and forth between them :)

I really do suspect some one down there had a Mage Weapon that was also (maybe) a Slayer Weapon and had Chivalry. They were up close and beating on the Balrons (never saw them do it to the Paragon version). Does that make sense or am I just making bad assumptions. I can see the Chivalry but I would not know what they droped for tactics.

D

Desolation87

IMO it's all about what you are fighting. In this case your fighting Balrons. Weak to energy attacks, such as energy bolt and Eves. However the dragon is hitting in physical and fire. So yes your right your dmg per hit is probably lower. Fight something that isn't too good with fire, (melisande perhaps?) than your dragons dmg per hit will be alot higher.

Every class has its strengths and weaknesses. A mage can cast a wide range of differnt elemental dmg but not so much physical. A Chiv user i.e. archer or swords. Can use consecrate weapon, turning the weapons damage into the enermys weakness. But no other class can tank like a tamer. It's just about using the right pet for the right situation. Say you were getting the keys for the shimmering effusion quest. All the monsters do alot of cold dmg. Take a dragon here and he will be toast in seconds. However, take a Cu Sidhe there and the difference is incredible. People say playing a tamer is easy and all you do is say 'all kill' however theres alot more to it.

E

Evilminion

My tamer does indeed have a mage weapon. I figure as long as I'm close in to vet the hiryu anyway, I'd might as well be whacking on the enemy at the same time. Only rarely does anything retarget against me, and it certainly helps with magery gains.

The disadvantage is that my melee damage is minimal. But sometimes it really helps, particularly if I cast poison on the enemy every time it wears off.

I have my very own greater dragon now, so I'll be able to try a few damage experiments of my own once he bonds!

E

Evilminion

Awww, thanks! :) Not to worry, though; I only just became high enough level to handle one of the big guys, and someone was kind enough to give me one of theirs.

'Cause goodness knows, my attempts to tame one ended in little more than a crunching sound and a contented dragon. :D

(Tamers: the other white meat.)

WHICH, bringing me back around to the original topic, is why I think you're doing the right thing to put peace on your tamer. I may need to soulstone off a couple of skills and try that myself one of these days.

Decisions, decisions... :)