• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

~ Reptalons Revisited ~

J

[JD]

Reptalons have a very bad rep. Mention "reptalon", and a tamer will reply "Reptalons suck!"

So last night I decided to dig further and really see for myself what was the skinny on these under-used potential pets.

I read some good advice on the stratics page, and moved both Miasma and Rend to the entrance of the Labyrinth so that they were out of my way.

I dragged any minotaur spawn and unwanted reptalons into Miasma's grassy park area and used EV's and my newbie 100 myst/focus RC to kill them. Many players don't know about this trick but if I got aggro, I used pointy eared power to run and invis, passed down through the ages from all my elven forefathers.

I still wasn't really killing them that fast so I decided to go out, waving at Rend and Miasma while I was on foot, to get my favorite Greater Dragon.

I wave at them on the way back in, chain invising my dragon and myself as I go. Miasma decides to follow me back to the grassy knoll, despite all efforts to get her to stay at the entrance. I eventually convince her to go stand guard at the entrance for me again. Rend glares at me like I'm an Elven McNugget. Hey Rend........ my eyes are up HERE.

At last I'm finally situated back in the grassy knoll area, with a very hungry dragon. I pull some more reptalons.

As I lored them I discovered a reptalon with 119 wrestle and another with 108 tactics! This is interesting info as it is not on the stratics reptalon page (Calls updaters!) below:

http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=hunters&id=2459

I'm assuming this means they can have a max of 120 wrestle and 110 tac, although I'd need to do more loring to ensure those maximums. It's safe to say that those are the maxes for now.

I settled on one with 119 wrestle, 106 tactics, 900+ HP, but only 54 Physical resist (I couldn't hang around all night to find the 'perfect' one - its dangerous in there! And this one was 'good enough' for now.

Getting this particular reptalon provided to be quite the adventure, because as I was beating it down I noticed someone invising themselves in the corner! Crap, other players are coming in.

I beat him down to 40% and realized, I have my prized greater dragon with me. I have to stable it before I can tame!

UGHHHH. I'm facing other players coming in and poo-pooing Operation: Reptilon.

This unknown species may stay extinct, forever.

Now I know why I chose to use EV’s and Rising colossus in the first place. It’s slower but I could have tamed it right then and been done with it.

So what ends up happening is this invis’d person turns out to be part of a larger group, who then trains Rend on me in the grassy knoll area. Ouch.

I run out of there to stable the GD. As I get to the stables I have some trouble because my dragon is still showing in my control slots but isn’t visible. I log in and out several times until I can finally see it, and stable it. In hindsight I believe in my rush to "beat" those other players to taming my prize reptilon (or getting back before they KILL it), I forgot I'd invised my GD. Like Durrrrr Mcfly. ><

By now I figure the Rept is dead but somehow it hadn’t died yet. I like to think they kept themselves invis and attacked Rend because as tamers they knew what I was trying to do, but I don’t know for sure. I did get a couple instances of "Someone else is already taming this creature". That coulda just been my fault, running around and invising to keep aggro clear so I could invis-lead tame the reptalon.

Long story short they all died, all 3-5 of them. I lived, using my pointy eared power.

I called in a guildmate to help clear the trash. He comes in, waves his Gargoyle fingers and everything falls dead at his feet. Wow, he really is Wise.

I tame the reptalon and send it off to the stablemaster to be bonded.

In Retrospect, a stealth mage tamer with ninja smokebomb would have been perfect for this.

I reviewed the stats/skills/resists/abilities for both the Cu Sidhe and Reptalon. I noticed a lot of similarities, but also a lot of differences. My impression was OSI tried to make a “Similar but different” pet, akin to archery and throwing skills, when they created the reptalon.

My thoughts that the Cu is more “Defensive” in nature, and thus better for PVM. As in PVM, you want your pet to be able to “tank”. While it tanks, you nuke, curse, support it with cures, heals, and maybe you do the hustle if you have elven style (like me). Hamster style comes in a close 2nd.

The reptalon however appealed to me as a potential PVP pet as it seems to be more “offensive” in nature. In PVP, nobody is going to waste time killing your pet before you, so instead of having a defensive pet, you would want the most offensive pet you can find. And reptalons are pretty offensive! Have you smelled one? Peeeeee-yewwww!

Yes, a Dread Warhorse is still probably better. But they are hard to find, and expensive.

After taming, my initial impressions were:

* Wow, I am really disappointed this pets hitpoints are so low (it started with 950 and is halved to 475, that’s less than a 3-control slot regular dragon)
* Wow, this thing had 119 wrestle and 106 tactics pre tame!
* This thing does the EXACT base damage a Cu does (21-28)
* It has a fireball and some sort of paralyzing roar
* The damage type is 25% poison, and 75% energy.
* It’s rideable, kinda cool
* It has the same max physical resist (65) as the Cu
* It is MUCH harder to obtain and tame than the Cu, who live in their little valley and follow any pointy eared elven tamer out that wanders nearby.
* I remember being disappointed its strength was lower than the worst Cu.

I read on the stratics comments someone claimed that a reptalon could be trained back up to their pre-tame skill levels. We’ll see if, when bonded and trained, it ends up at 119 wrestle or not.

After these experiences, my thoughts are that Reptalons are in need of a change to make them more viable for tamers. Aren't the UO developers aware how under-used these pets are, and how HARD they are to obtain?

The best suggestion I can make, given how hard they are to obtain, their low hp, lower str, poorer resists, and inability to heal themselves, is that Reptalons should be changed to a 3-slot pet, and the rest of their abilties left alone.

Has anyone else done extensive Reptalon testing/investigation?

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice write up, JD! I haven't gotten around to checking out the Labyrinth yet, but your story makes me want to go there and have a look-see. Congrats on your reptalon!

I have a question about the invis taming strategy - mostly just wondering if I'm understanding the concept correctly. You get into position, start a tame attempt, get an "anger the beast", and drop a precast invis on yourself. Keep doing this until you get a "you start to tame the creature" message. Then just keep invising yourself until the tame attempt completes to hopefully avoid aggro during the attempt. Is that it? I'm guessing 2/6 FC/FCR is pretty important for this strategy to be most effective.

I've got cu sidhe lead taming down now, so I guess it's about time I start working on the permanently pissed big guys! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

D

Demoquin84

I am pretty sure he spams his tame last target button *until* the fabled blue words appear, then invis, more words, precast invis and target when pet "sees" you. You may be able to cast less this way and save mana.

JD i love the story:) i think i am going to try and get one when i have time.

J

[JD]

it was quite the epic adventure, especially more so seeing as miasma and rend were both about - each having paragon running speed - and i was on foot. teaches you to play smarter, react quicker, and think ahead

i use the ec so i'm not sure if you can do the same with cc. but there's these 2 targeting systems, the legacy and the new method where whatever spell/ability you use is directed at the current target.

so what i do is precast invis, spam tame, and listen for the reptalon "i'm gonna kill you roar". then ill use my target self mouse wheel and invoke the power of the pointy eared ones.

remember from a prior post, all pets make a "yes master" or a "no/im gonna kill you" noise. they will roar i'm gonna kill you right before they try. thats when you would want to be invis.

it takes a lot of timing and patience to do it right. but it works quite well.

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it was quite the epic adventure, especially more so seeing as miasma and rend were both about - each having paragon running speed - and i was on foot. teaches you to play smarter, react quicker, and think ahead

i use the ec so i'm not sure if you can do the same with cc. but there's these 2 targeting systems, the legacy and the new method where whatever spell/ability you use is directed at the current target.

so what i do is precast invis, spam tame, and listen for the reptalon "i'm gonna kill you roar". then ill use my target self mouse wheel and invoke the power of the pointy eared ones.

remember from a prior post, all pets make a "yes master" or a "no/im gonna kill you" noise. they will roar i'm gonna kill you right before they try. thats when you would want to be invis.

Dude can you clarify this further?

Do you wait for the blue writing and drop the invis or precast, press the tame macro and invis dependant on if the beast is agro'd or not?

I'm confused!

As a suggestion, sounds like using honor on yourself could make your life lots easier!

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

JD,

Thanks for the explanation. I use the EC too, and have a spam tame macro. I realize I need to do this myself to know for sure, but won't the reptalon/nightmare/GD etc. immediately try to attack you if you pop out of hiding/invis with the initial tame spam? Or is there a delay, with the anger sound coming just before the creature tries to eat you? I don't really notice a delay with the cu sidhe - if she isn't happy I'm trying to tame her, she immediately snaps.

J

[JD]

won't the reptalon/nightmare/GD etc. immediately try to attack you if you pop out of hiding/invis with the initial tame spam? Or is there a delay, with the anger sound coming just before the creature tries to eat you?
I bolded an important part.

Perform this test: Go invis yourself in front of an aggro bake kitsune. Make sure you are properly invis'd and don't get the "You are revealed!" message.

Now walk 1 step breaking invis, and count... one onethousand... two onethousand... listen...shhh..listen

"GRRROWLLLLL"

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The method I'd suggest, (if you have the skills on soulstones) is to stealth herd the reptalon you want out of the spawn area and up near the entrance. Then it's just a plain vanilla beat down and lead tame. Avoiding the fire breath, cos that does hurt some ;)

I did tame in the central spawn area with rend n miasma where they usually spawn (reptalons were new so I couldn't move either for fear of killing players over by Miasma and whenever I tried pulling a rep to the entrance they "helped" by killing it :D). I precast invis and pulled the spawn to the side a few times, stealthing back to the quiet spawn to repeat that till just 1 rep remained. I sat dropping EVs killing reps until a keeper one appeared. EV'd that one down to a sliver of health then tamed it. Luckily I succeeded first time cos that's a tight space for lead taming lol. An interesting way to hit 120 taming, but I can't say I'd recommend it!

Wenchy

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bolded an important part.

Perform this test: Go invis yourself in front of an aggro bake kitsune. Make sure you are properly invis'd and don't get the "You are revealed!" message.

Now walk 1 step breaking invis, and count... one onethousand... two onethousand... listen...shhh..listen

"GRRROWLLLLL"
I've definitely noticed the growl with bakes, but they don't give you the "anger the beast" message when you try to tame them. I'm just curious if there's still that delay in aggro if you anger a reptalon with your tame spam.

I'll just go to TC to try things out - that way I won't be as worried about insurance costs when I make a mistake!

D

Demoquin84

My first tame was a success. Was able to Ethereal Voyage on 2nd attempt. Found a decent 3.8 star half way in the maze near the water.

Second day, was a PITA!!!! I have died SO many times due to all the air elementals popping up and only bringing a Charger. With the help of Krusty, we were able to beat this one down so i can tame at the entrance. Waiting the week then testing this baby. Looks great as a mount too ;)

HP 475
501 / 83 / 258
60/ 40/ 45/ 62/ 84

Pre tame
Wrestling 114.5
Tactics 106.4

Does that mean it will tame up to that point? If i heard correctly on Reptalons.

Also the Pet Calc in the sticky need to have a look at. They say max Wrest and Tactics is 150 ish and 135 which is clearly not the case (anymore?)

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Awesome post!! I just came to look for info on the reptalon and boom there it was. perfect timing! I cannot wait to hear how they do after bonding.

Hrothgard

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great story JD !

Next time bring me along with you. I am sure my peace skill would have helped a bit as well as a few well placed heals.

I think I will go check out the maze this weekend. Have not ventured there yet. I want to experience quite a bit more of the older content (Doom etc ..... ) before I venture into abyss/underworld.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Some day I am going to get myself a reptalon. There are underrated pets out there, and this may well be one of them.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, it isn't that they're bad pets (they beat the classic dragon by a couple of miles), it's just that the hiryu, cu sidhe and dread war horse are all better in one way or another than the reptalon.

I hear that before my time, their nerve strike attack was very lethal indeed... but that was before my time, so doesn't count!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Actually, it isn't that they're bad pets (they beat the classic dragon by a couple of miles), it's just that the hiryu, cu sidhe and dread war horse are all better in one way or another than the reptalon.

I hear that before my time, their nerve strike attack was very lethal indeed... but that was before my time, so doesn't count!
Actually, the classic dragon is one of the most underrated pets in the game if you want my opinion. That and the nightmare. The most overrated is the dread mare in my opinion - it isn't bad, but there are better options for just about any situation, followed closely by the bake kitsune - a pet whose numbers look phenomenal, but whose performance doesn't live up to the numbers.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmmm ... what about bringing in a 'throw-away'-GD (release it after a nice rept shows up) and honor taming?

J

[JD]

throw away gd could work too but it probably wouldnt be trained, so its questionable how effective it would be when you compare to 2 EV's or an RC.

also, it would either eat you (or your newly tamed reptalon) unless you ran far off to release it. seems like a lot of trouble.

im probably gonna stick with the EV/RC method in the future.

stealth would help a lot, or just be uber-fast on the invises

S

Stupid Miner

As I lored them I discovered a reptalon with 119 wrestle and another with 108 tactics! This is interesting info as it is not on the stratics reptalon page (Calls updaters!) below:

http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=hunters&id=2459
... calling for updaters? Why have other people do it? You can collect the info just as well as anyone.
Only reason there isn't info is because no one has provided it yet.
*shrugs*
Hope you don't think any of us are actually getting paid to do this stuff. :)

If you use the EC, you can get all the lore info in just one screenshot.

S

Stupid Miner

Is there a user setting that lets you do this? I'm using the EC but have to click through the various lore screens to see everything.

Thanks!
I actually dont use the EC... or a tamer... I may be confusing it with KR. Definitely worked for KR :)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I actually dont use the EC... or a tamer... I may be confusing it with KR. Definitely worked for KR :)
Ya, there was a pet lore gump mod for the KR client that put all the info on one screen. Unfortunately the gumps can't be modded now. Let's hope that changes.

J

[JD]

... calling for updaters? Why have other people do it? You can collect the info just as well as anyone.
Only reason there isn't info is because no one has provided it yet.
*shrugs*
Hope you don't think any of us are actually getting paid to do this stuff. :)

If you use the EC, you can get all the lore info in just one screenshot.
sorry miner i didn't mean to offend bro, i did leave a comment on that page as well as post here. i was just hoping it would attract the attention of someone who had the power to update here. not having espn, i'm not sure who that would be... i definitely appreciate the volunteered time of you, petra, and all the other wonderful stratics people.

in other news, Puff the magic reptalon bonded with me this morning, yay!

i'm working on grinding out a project right now but as soon as it's done i intend to train Puff and see just how magical he is.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
in other news, Puff the magic reptalon bonded with me this morning, yay!
I have a large and hairy boura in the stables being broken in myself. Looking forward to training it and seeing what it can do. :)

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
JD and Demoquin,

Any updates to share on training your reptalons? Very interested to hear how they are doing.

The other night I took my stealth-tamer-in-training to the Labyrinth to check things out. First time I'd ever been there. Looks like dragging a reptalon to the entrance for taming is a good option after clearing out the minotaur spawn there. I was there for about 20 minutes and didn't notice any minotaur respawn after I EV'd them. Wonder how long before they respawn?

J

[JD]

The entrance minotaurs do take a while to respawn which is nice if you are pulling stuff to the entrance. If you're there to kill them for their split resist weapons, gold, or skill, it kinda sucks.

I'm about to post an update which affects if I will be using a reptalon..

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm about to post an update which affects if I will be using a reptalon..
JD, did you ever post an update on your reptalon experiment? I briefly looked through old posts and didn't find one.

Thanks.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After these experiences, my thoughts are that Reptalons are in need of a change to make them more viable for tamers. Aren't the UO developers aware how under-used these pets are, and how HARD they are to obtain?

Good luck.

Several tamers have tried for years now to get some love for the Reptalon but without success.

This is just one of the several threads which in the past have now and then popped up

http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-tamer/144999-why-no-reptalons.html

J

Jonathan Baron

I tamed two a few months back: one I that I didn't look at closely because it was a bit like Doctor Johnson's Dog, and one I paid very close attention to because I got over it.

For those not familiar with Boswell's Life of Johnson, Samuel Johnson wrote of one of the first dictionaries and was a very, very witty fellow in an age when great conversationalists were as rock stars are now, and when the name of the poet, Byron, was as well recognized in the English speaking world as that of Napoleon. Johnson was also a major a**hole...but a very clever one. That, at least, we continue to admire today. Call it our...uh....great link with the 18th Century.

He said that a woman making conversation was like a dog dancing on its hind legs; you don't expect it to do it well, you're simply surprised it does it at all. Although that will get you stooge slapped today, it applies to pertinent things...like, say, being simply surprised you were able to get out of the Labyrinth at all having tamed a Reptalon, stats be damned. I named him Sterling.

Then I got serious...so serious that I begged someone who knew what she was doing to lore of bunch of them for me. I made no references to Doctor Johnson to her.

In the end I got Larry...498HP, great resists, but skills you'd expect: GM max. Maxed them all and decided to see if Larry was better than a distant relation to Johnson's poor dancing dog.

I was making my UO gold at the time killing Bouras for their pelts. The price was high then, I was too terrified of that damned mine on the Tokuno Islands where you can get Shadow Elementals for pet training, so I simply used those gruff and grunting Bouras. Trained many a pet on Bouras....made lots of gold...it worked out.

Larry's forte' is his para spell. The Boura's forte', apart from being an over-sized musk ox of a creature suited to an Ice Age, is reflecting para spells. Interesting match-up. Yet with slightly fewer than 500HP, it took some bandages, especially when two or three Bouras would gang up on Larry. Still, Larry did fine - not as well as, say, a Bane Dragon that had just been fed its stew (thank GOD the war has reduced the price of the stew to 40k on some shards) but with enough fierceness and satisfying dragon-like special effects to make it fun to watch.

Still I was left with no real mission for Larry that another rideable four slot pet wouldn't fill as well or better. I'd heard the Guild Leader of The Cadaver Club (PvP guild on Chessy) used one effectively for killing people and killing people is often a very good thing in UO but I'm better at the getting killed part.

And just when I thought Larry and I would become seldom seen relations, I decided to re-up on honor in Fan Dancer Dojo against those women who truly do make lousy conversationalists: the Succubus, may they have to listen to themselves shriek for an eternity.

Yes, the pet of choice is the Cu Sidhe, as natural a demon slayer as the Hiryu is a dragon slayer but I get a bit bored by their slow, chomp, chomp, chomp bleed attack. So I'd tried the Bane, I'd tried the Hiryu, I'd wanted to try the Greater Dragon but thought that would be...well....as I often do, I find the Greater Dragon to generally be too much club for most situations and the Succubus is definitely a short Par 3.

In I went with Larry. OMG!! She leads with E-Bolt, he leads with para, he brushes aside that crummy E-Bolt, ignores all that "I HAAAAATE MEEEEEEN!" wailing area effect nonsense and just kills the damned...uh....kills the damned creature and kills her fast. Kills another, and another and I've re-upped my honor, replenished the fame I'd dumped at the door (the self rez sacrifice cover charge) in a far shorter time that with my grumbling Cu, Duncan. Not as fast as you Discorders do, but fast.

Yes, this all could be be put simply: Reptalons are good at killing people and demons. But what's the fun in that?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm definitely going to be farming for a reptalon some day. Maybe after I rebuild my computer...

C

Cantabrigian British

...I'm going to try to choose my words correctly as I DON'T want to violate any terms of use here. However, my anger an frustration in your writing is...is.. never mind, that is an argument for another day.

So... to the question that I'm most curious about. What the f#ck are you talking about here: "Many players don't know about this trick but if I got aggro, I used pointy eared power to run and invis, passed down through the ages from all my elven forefathers". What?????????????????? Let me say it again.... WHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT??????????

Sorry dude. I don't understand what your saying. Can anyone else clarify?

Pointy eared power? WTH?

For the love of god... WHAT?

P.S.

Sorry, I should have mentioned. I have used Reptalons since they first came out. I like them for the sole reason that near-nobody uses them. I've taken mine to doom, killed ancient wyrms with it, bone deamons and much more. I KNOW what I'm talking about. And frankly it rather offends me when I read the ranting of someone that uses terminology that I either don't understand... or, if I do understand, find severe disgust in the way they worded it. Mostly because a "newbie" would have no friggin' idea what your talking about.

ok, ok... calming down... I'll add again, the word that helps soften my post...PLEASE explain more clearly. Please?

J

[JD]

Alas, Puff the magic Reptalon is no more. After he bonded I could never bring myself to sit down and grind out his training. I hate grinds. Which is why all my toons are newbtastic. And then I luckily happened onto a Dread Mare, and Bane Dragons came out so I kinda lost interest in Reptalons.

I would still like to see them made a good pet one day. I'd like to see more variety in the pets running around.

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
About a year ago i let free my fully trained rept, even with discord I had no real use for em.

J

Jonathan Baron

My goodness, that was a bit of T.S. Elliot's The Waste Land.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I just thought I'd add, reptalons have been gaining some traction in pvp in certain circles lately, that's something I'd like to look into myself someday.

J

Jonathan Baron

Indeed. As I believe I noted up-topic, the leader of Chessy's Cadaver Club has one as his mount of choice.

The whole matter of employing combat pets as one would any weapon - which they are really - seems to fall into a realm of logic breakdown when it comes to PvP, no matter which one you choose. No doubt there is a topic that explores that exasperating controversy.

J

[JD]

the stun breath would seem to be very useful in pvp not to mention the elemental resistances... hence my original interest