• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Replacing Resist Spells With...?

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey all,

As I've slowly got back into the game from when I last played in 2003, I've been noticing more and more tweaks I need to do to my characters to bring them up to date. And today's turn under the spotlight is my tamer. Currently he has the following stats and skills (all real), and I would appreciate comments on where to move the remaining 70 points from Resist Spells, as I understand that at present there would be far more utility in putting them to another use;

Strength - 100
Dexterity - 20
Intelligence - 110

Evaluating Intelligence - 100
Magery - 100
Resisting Spells - 70
Meditation - 100
Animal Lore - 110
Animal Taming - 110
Veterinary - 120

Currently I have a 100% LRC suit with 49/70/70/70/70 resists, not including the ring and bracelet which are now replaceable as I no longer need them for Vetinary, so I can make points up from them... although ideally I would like to save money if I can. My current thinking is to go for Spellweaving for those 70 points, as it comes highly recommended; I have no experience of the skill at all though, it not existing when I first left.

So, any suggestions please?

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you play in Fel? If Tram only then yes move the points out of MR but if you play Fel then you might want to keep the points where they are.

If your char is from 2003 shouldnt your chars have 720 skill points? Your template only adds to 710. Judging by the low magery and EI im guessing that your relying mainly on your pet and probably just using magery for healing yes/no? If yes can probably drop a few points out of med.

Need a bit more of an idea of how you would like to use this char to suggest where to use points, I know some people like to go ninja for the dog form so they can run faster with GD's, lots do like spellweave for WoD for the big damage blast.

But best guess if your just PvM in Tram then I would go spellweave

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As relic stats it about your play style

If you are just a plain hunter with your pets and more frequently travel the safer lands

then I would look at

Tame 110
Lore 110
Vet 100
Mage 100
Eval 100
Med 100

This will leave you 100 points you will be able to control anything easily and if you add the talisman of birds you will have 115 tame and lore, cary one of the +15 magery spell booka for better spell casting. You will not really need magery thow as vet and a good greater dragon will do very well in just about any situation. You casting wil mostly be used for travel and ocassional healing or curing. for you addational 100 poiints i would add Spell weaving for its gift of life, and word of death for final kill shots. But there are other methods. With todays MR you can somtimes drop Meditation completly as you wont really be casting many spells with your pets. You can pick up mele skills like archery to backup you pet, or necro for some different spell attacks.

Now if your travels take you to fel well PvP is a totally different world.

Some PvPers dont even have Vet as te fight shouldn;t be that long.
they ride dread mares or other ridable attack mounts to get into the fight. Templates are very varried but mages with mage weapons or archer are now more of the norm.

Tame 110
Lore 110
Mage 120
Eval 120
Med 100
Necro 70
this leaves you 90 points for playing around with other skills

Tame 110
Lore 110
Archery 100 (hunter headress to 120)
Tactics 100
ninja 90
hiding 100
stealth 100
Purley an ambush offensive style

as you can see many diff styles for difffernt play

Give some more details on your play style and I am sure we can help you round out your char

:thumbup1:

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Hey all,

As I've slowly got back into the game from when I last played in 2003, I've been noticing more and more tweaks I need to do to my characters to bring them up to date. And today's turn under the spotlight is my tamer. Currently he has the following stats and skills (all real), and I would appreciate comments on where to move the remaining 70 points from Resist Spells, as I understand that at present there would be far more utility in putting them to another use;

Strength - 100
Dexterity - 20
Intelligence - 110

Evaluating Intelligence - 100
Magery - 100
Resisting Spells - 70
Meditation - 100
Animal Lore - 110
Animal Taming - 110
Veterinary - 120

Currently I have a 100% LRC suit with 49/70/70/70/70 resists, not including the ring and bracelet which are now replaceable as I no longer need them for Vetinary, so I can make points up from them... although ideally I would like to save money if I can. My current thinking is to go for Spellweaving for those 70 points, as it comes highly recommended; I have no experience of the skill at all though, it not existing when I first left.

So, any suggestions please?
Take the time to read up on imbuing and make some friends that are imbuers, or train it up yourself if that is your bent. Imbuing will make your character much more flexible and viable. Take your time, there's no rush, but do put in the effort to learn how imbuing works and what is possible with it. I've had a couple of friends come back to UO after being away for some time, and in working with them I've come to realize how important it is for returning players to get a real good grasp on how imbuing works and it's potential. You can spend a lot of gold on it, but it is also quite possible to do an awful lot with it without spending millions of gold pieces on it.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks all for the answers so far; To just clear up some confusion first, my account is only at the 2 years stage at present, as I left in 2003, but haven't played since ;)

My play style is on Europa Trammel only, and what I seem to be doing is yes,fighting with pets for now; when they've got aggro well enough, I've been firing spells from under them as I slowly get used to how certain creatures move and fight (Greater Dragons can turn on you if not careful, and Paragons almost always seem to charge at the tamer not the pet). When out of mana, I meditate back up before firing again.

I've been using Energy Vortex, invising and honor taming to avoid stat loss in finding new pets to sell, although that doesn't seem to bring in much income alas... I've yet to find a creature above 3.3 Pet Calc rating.

Regarding Imbuing, I'm not sure I'll want to invest the time and gold to learn this myself; I don't think I'll be back for another 2 years this time, as I just want to see a lot of the new content, and buy one or 2 rares I never had back in the day... so I'm largely focused on earning as much gold as I can for those. I've also not got around to shifting Carpentry to the lumberjacking warrior I still have, as I don't want my goods to carry his silly name... and it's not that important for me to get high end wood that I don't really use, and don't have time to chop to sell when combined with manual mining as well.

So that's roughly where I am for now!

J

[JD]

This one sounds really fun to me.

I'd name the character 'a bake kitsune', have 2 bake kitsune pets, and run around in bake kitsune ninja-form....

120 Archery (100 trained, 20 from Hunters' Headdress)
120 Tactics
120 Animal Taming* (89 trained, 26 on jewels, 5 on birds of britannia talisman)
110 Animal Lore* (105 trained, 5 on birds of britannia talisman)
80 Vetrinary** (54 Trained, 26 from jewels)
60 Meditation
100 Ninjitsu
72 Chivalry

* 115 Taming/105 Lore gives 99% Greater Dragon Control. I'd wear Primer of Arms/Conj Trinket/Fac Primer of arms but if I needed to tame something or extra stable slots I would swap in the birds of britannia talisman for 120 taming/110 lore. Quite easy to make a 1-keypress equipment change macro in the EC...

** I would use Chivalry to support my pet while fighting. If the pet died I could make a 1 keypress macro to swap in a 2nd set of rings which has +26 vet on it to res my pet.

This template sounds SO FUN. The only drawback is no real way to reliably invis, which I like to do when taming aggro things.

But how would this fare in PVP?

L

Luke Carjacker

This one sounds really fun to me.

I'd name the character 'a bake kitsune', have 2 bake kitsune pets, and run around in bake kitsune ninja-form....

120 Archery (100 trained, 20 from Hunters' Headdress)
120 Tactics
120 Animal Taming* (89 trained, 26 on jewels, 5 on birds of britannia talisman)
110 Animal Lore* (105 trained, 5 on birds of britannia talisman)
80 Vetrinary** (54 Trained, 26 from jewels)
60 Meditation
100 Ninjitsu
72 Chivalry

* 115 Taming/105 Lore gives 99% Greater Dragon Control. I'd wear Primer of Arms/Conj Trinket/Fac Primer of arms but if I needed to tame something or extra stable slots I would swap in the birds of britannia talisman for 120 taming/110 lore. Quite easy to make a 1-keypress equipment change macro in the EC...

** I would use Chivalry to support my pet while fighting. If the pet died I could make a 1 keypress macro to swap in a 2nd set of rings which has +26 vet on it to res my pet.

This template sounds SO FUN. The only drawback is no real way to reliably invis, which I like to do when taming aggro things.

But how would this fare in PVP?
I see no ability to hide, invis or most importantly, heal yourself effectively with this template for the purposes of PvP. Obviously, if you can't heal you're gonna die really fast in PvP. Healing skill, bushido (confidence), magery (heal & greater heal) & necromancy (spirit speak) offer effective ways of healing in PvP. Chivalry close wounds is rarely seen in PvP.

For this template, the tamer would be dead before the pet could even get involved in the fight, 20 seconds or less. Some form of healing or hiding is absolutely critical.