• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Regarding "legacy" pets, UO:3D and their return to UO:R (05/17/01 update! <-NEW->)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cerebus

Wow, nice post James. Sure am glad I didn't pay 300k for a pure mare.

<center>*In Search of Good pic*</center>
<center>/shared/forum_images/beige/icons/uhoh2.gif<font color=blue>I have the body of a god..................to bad its Budda</font color=blue>/shared/forum_images/beige/icons/uhoh2.gif</center>

R

Red or Dead

This should go to the top until it happens. Very clear description of 'legacy' tame. However a comparison pic of legacy mare would be nice too.

B

Blakhart

Thanks for that post, James. I had the gist of all that, but not the specifics. I feel alot better now. I can't wait for them to start spawning again. I wonder if they will spawn everywhere, or just in old lands. If they spawn in Ilshenar, that would be so cool. Tame the mare, go back to the old lands, and find out you got a pure black. Hehe. Ah well. Thanks again.

Blakhart

M

Mercury

300k thats it on GL some go for over a mill.

quotes
It not what is thats is it's what you think it is that is.-Mr. Jonsel
It not what you dont know that will hurt you it's what you kknow that ain't so.-Mr. Rock

S

Shanira

Great informative post. Although I already knew most of it! ^_^ At least now I know why stupid OSI took out Legacy creatures. I never really did get that.

Think this should be made sticky!

Shanira

"What do you wish to use a dictionary crafted with exceptional quality on?"

J

James of GL

Thank you all! In fact, this post will be locked once Mordanna returns from her beauty sleep /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/wink.gif.

I'll do a picture of a legacy and a new mare in 2D and 3D now and add it to my post. /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/smile.gif Unfortunately I don't have all kind of legacy nightmares.... Mordanna has such a picture, let me dig it up /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/wink.gif

-James

E

Elyssar

Good, informative post. I'll try to make it sticky to the top.

Tamer Forum noob Moderator...all tamers, all the time.

B

Barnacle

Nice work on the post James. You did a nice job, and it's informative. Please dont wake Mordanna up from her beauty sleep....we dont need that sorta trouble here! :)

Barnacle of Pacific- Gm Tamer/Bard/Mage and all around nice guy.
Matar Legoate of Pacific- Gm Fisherman/Blacksmith and all around pretty boring guy.

J

James of GL

Thanks /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/smile.gif Mordanna was asking me to do this post at ... hm ... well, it must've been early morning for her already /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/wink.gif She then stumbled off to bed, heheh. /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/laugh.gif

-James

T

Tre\/orI\/

As a new tamer i was never quite clear about the whole 'legacy' pets thing but this faq has answered pretty much all the questions that could possibly be asked on the subject, cheers. Worth it just for the screenshots alone! :)

You tried Vaseline and it came out in a rash?!
Hmmm.................

J

James of GL

I did a small update and added another question which could be of interest /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/smile.gif Find any more questions you'd like to be answered?

-James

G

WOW James, really nice post! I have a long mane "blue" and a pure WW that I barly use anymore because of their value. Its comforting to know that they will be back one day! Now it is Orgin we are talking about so we will see them spawn again about a year after the vet rewards are released! sad but true!

<center><font color=red>*your pet looks confused*</font color=red></center>
<center>
</center>
<center><font color=green>Courage is not the absence of fear, but action in the face of it!</font color=green></center>

J

James of GL

Hello everybody,

I did another brief update and added a question from UO.com.

Any more questions for me to add? /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/smile.gif

-James

M

McKinneley

Great Work James. I actually did not realize that pre-patch mares would not show in 3D (the short maned ones). I knew pures and long manes did not show, but thanks for clarifying that all pre-patch mares were considered legacy.

I can't wait for these to be added back in. Will be great to see pures around again, maybe by the time they are added back in, my new tamer will be GM. I should probably create him soon!!

<font color=red>McKinneley, Baja

J

James of GL

*LOL* /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/laugh.gif I think your chances of GMing your non-existant tamer until the update are pretty good /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/wink.gif

-James

S

sorcerer

good, I'm also happy that I didn't buy a TB mare for 550k, hehe
but I will surely have gained the last 10% in taming before TB mares respawns... hehe

Greetings: Lord Sorcerer (Drachenfels)

W

W00t W00t

aww comn make the sosaria guide sticky too

lets have a full page of sticky crap up top hehehe

J

James of GL

Hello everybody,

I added another question which came to mind when I read W00t W00t's post in another thread. Don't ask me why *lol*. But I added it anyway /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/wink.gif

-James

P

PacificDamien

will this mean that multi-colored hellhounds will spawn again too? I miss my bright fluorescent red hellhound... I believe that it's color came from those new luminous white wolves... I loved that hound....

Damien- suicidal GM tamer/warrior

T

Tama Ravenshadow

DOH! I wanna be able to sell my pure WW for 600K+
:(
I dont want them to spawn again...well. at least make mares spawn so when I get up I can tame one...Just dont make WW spawn again. people laughed whenj I said selling for 500

You want regular or extra crispy?
Tamera-Tamer/Mage (CoM)
Sauron-Archer/Bard
Aximili-Swordsman LJ
OOoooOOooOOo=Sry I made you mad Sauron..."

J

James of GL

Without the intention of sounding rude here... aren't you just a tad selfish, maybe?

"don't make wyrms spawn so I can sell mine for maximum profit" and "only make mares spawn so I can tame one" sound quite selfish to me.

But that's just my observation.

-James

G

<font color=blue>Or maybe he was joking.

Hehe

<font color=black>Feel the burning stare of my hamster...and change your ways.

J

James of GL

Yes, maybe. I think I'm too spoiled by Sir TaMeAlOt and his like on Great Lakes /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/wink.gif

-James

L

Lady Amanda

i like taming the pet but i rufuse to transfer them to people unless they pay the 35-45k for WW's and Mares like they should be the people selling dragons 2k on wakoku shard thats plain BULL pucky

<center>

</center>
<center><font color=green>I <font color=red>hear <font color=blue>voices <font color=purple>and<font color=purple> they <font color=blue>don't <font color=red>like <font color=green>you
</center>

J

James of GL

Greetings and salutations everybody,

most of the taming community still seems to be a little confused about the news, or they haven't even heard them yet. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif So here's a little guide which will hopefully

clarify everything "legacy" pet related.

Let's begin with an introduction of "legacy" pets.

<font color=blue>(1) What are "legacy" pets?</font color=blue>
<blockquote>
Legacy is a term choosen by the OSI Dev Team to describe several kinds of animals that used to spawn in at least two different variations. More precisely, they are

nightmares and white wyrms. A while ago, there was a patch which changed the spawn to one "standard" body, so Ultima Online: Third Dawn would recognize them with the

new client, and display them as nightmares and white wyrms. So four different bodies of nightmares (2 short maned, one "blue long maned" and one "pure black") and two

bodies of white wyrms ("dark" white wyrm and "pure white" wyrm) were reduced to one.
</blockquote><font color=blue>(2) Okay, but how does that affect me?</font color=blue>
<blockquote>
Since the variety of "colors" has been reduced, those newer tamers or those who didn't tame one yet will never be able to tame some kind of pets, because they don't spawn

anymore. In addition to this, tamers selling those legacy pets ask insane prices for their "rares".

In UO:3D it also affects you in a different way. All legacy pets will not properly show with the client. Nightmares will show as horses, while white wyrms will show as

dragons.

This image was taken from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tamingarchive.com/>The Taming Archive</a>, but slightly resized and converted into a *.jpg file so it would display with all browsers. :)
In the top picture you see a "pure" white wyrm -> legacy pet, next to a current white wyrm. In the picture below you clearly see that the legacy wyrm doesn't display as a

white wyrm at all, instead it appears to be a red dragon.

Here is a picture of the nightmares in 2D and 3D. The mares in the back row are all legacy pets. The single mare is the new body of nightmare, the only one which currently

displays properly in 3D.

Legacy mares rom left to right: Easter, Blaze, Hope, Drusos
Stand-alone new nightmare: Chance (R.I.P. 05/14/01)

Thanks to <font color=blue>Elyssar</font color=blue> for providing Drusos, the "pure" mare in this picture!
</blockquote><font color=blue>(3) One second, why are the short maned mares in that picture horses in 3D? I thought all short maned mares would look okay?</font color=blue>
<blockquote>
No, but that's a common mistake /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif. It's that OSI chose the body of the short maned nightmare which leads to this confusion. All nightmares which spawned prior

to the patch are legacy mares. And since there are two kinds of short maned mares as well, this of course goes for them, too. Had OSI chosen the body of the "pure" mare

it wouldn't have been any different, only the mares from after the patch do correctly convert yet.
</blockquote><font color=blue>(4) Are legacy nightmares real horses in 3D, or do they still have nightmare stats?</font color=blue>
<blockquote>
Legacy pets still possess their full abilities in UO:3D, which is very bad in the case of nightmares, since they look like ordinary horses. It is only their looks which are wrong,

their stats remain the same.
</blockquote><font color=blue>(5) So will that be fixed?</font color=blue>
<blockquote>
Yes, the Dev Team at OSI is currently working on a fix for that problem. It will not affect any legacy pets in 2D, as stated by <font color=red>Calandryll</font color=red>. It will only fix their

appearance in 3D.
</blockquote><font color=blue>(6) What's the rumor about pure mares returning, then?</font color=blue>
<blockquote>
The Dev Team discovered that they could easily change the standard body of nightmares and white wyrms back to the different variations, because of the way the legacy

pet fix works. <font color=red>Calandryll</font color=red> has also clearly expressed on UTB that he is looking forward for them to spawn again, because he feels that every player should

have an equal chance of owning such a pet, and "not just those who possess enough money to purchase one". He said "they were never meant to be rare".
</blockquote><font color=blue>(7) Does that mean they also make different skins of mares for UO:3d?!</font color=blue>
<blockquote>
Currently, there is no real info on that. It was said, however, that they're "not yet working on that", which could mean everything and nothing. They might eventually come, the

possibility is there. But if so, then it is likely not going to be too soon.
</blockquote><font color=blue>(8) So when's that going to happen?</font color=blue>
<blockquote>
Not in the near future, I am afraid. The fix requires a client and a server side update, so they can't implement it right now. However, it was important to

<font color=red>Calandryll</font color=red> that it will go in as soon as possible. Which doesn't mean too soon, sorry for discouraging some of you now /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
</blockquote>
<font color=blue>(9) I saw a "pure" white wyrm / a "pure" black nightmare, is the fix already there!?</font color=blue>

<blockquote>
No. I've been getting a lot of questions like this, people even saw "pure white wyrms" spawn, but it can't be more than maybe a server glitch (I don't see how, but you never

know...) or something similar, including mass halluncination *lol* /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif. I made sure to check back with <font color=red>Calandryll</font color=red> regarding those sightings, and he pointed

out again that the fix would also require a server side update, so a patch will not and never "just" make them spawn again. B'sides... imagine the uproar on

Stratics and UO.com, so you wouldn't miss it .... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=red>Note! There is one exception, and that is the test shards. </font color=red> Calandryll <font color=red>was kind enough to let me know that the fix is currently being tested on them, so prepare for legacy sightings there. Not on the regular shards, yet...</font color=red>

</blockquote>
Okay, this was my brief FAQ regarding legacy pets /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif Please don't hesitate to ask me any more questions, I'll gladly answer them so we can collect a lot of topics

which need to be addressed here.

Thanks for your input,

-James<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by James of GL on 05/17/01 05:36 PM.</FONT></P>

J

James of GL

You know I never do.... *runs from Mordanna!!* /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/wink.gif

-James

E

Elyssar

So...James...are pure mares going to spawn again? I wanna be 133+ like Sir TaMeSaLoT so I simply must know!

*dodges the raw ribs that get chunked at her*

All that is, will be, or ever was...

J

James of GL

<font color=yellow>GM_James tells Elyssar: I'm sorry, I cannot help thee with that. Take care!</font color=yellow>

T

Tama Ravenshadow

To James-
Of course it was rude. I am a tamer and I DONT HAVE MILLIONS OF GOLD! I WANT MY TAMER GOLD!
:)
j/k
I still only want leg mares to spawn, not wyrms. I like how the new ones look anyway...

You want regular or extra crispy?
Tamera-Tamer/Mage (CoM)
Sauron-Archer/Bard
Aximili-Swordsman LJ
OOoooOOooOOo=Sry I made you mad Sauron..."

J

James of GL

Hello there!

Just wondering... how does it make sense? *lol* ;) I mean, the legacy wyrms come in two colors, so they look the same if you like them for their looks. Only that there will be one variety more :)

-James

E

Elyssar

The wyrm spawning now is the sort that has ALWAYS spawned, the icy-grey colored one that is the white shaded grey dragon (except in 3D it displays correctly.)

I personally looooove the "pure" white wyrm. It just looks so neato. /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/smile.gif

All that is, will be, or ever was...

W

Well =P

Just wondring, at the begining, did Kirins and Unicorns have different types?

J

James of GL

Hello there!

No, they didn't, because they are Third Dawn creatures. No Third Dawn creature spawns in varieties, if you look at the white wolves, ostards, etc. they only use one skin for all colors (in UO:R there are grey and blue white wolves). Ki-rins and unicorns weren't ever meant to spawn in different colors and they didn't.

(as for the unicorn, it used to have a different color in the beginning, a light grey and not a bright white, but it always used the same body type)

-James

M

mio

this might sound stupid to you, but what do Ki-Rins look like in UO:R? just colored horses or something? a post would be appreciated :)

-mio, kaal on europe

J

James of GL

Hello there, ki-rin (that is the plural already /shared/forum_images/beige/icons/wink.gif) look like bright orange horses in UO:R. I'm afraid I don't have a screenshot, but I'll post one later :)

-James

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<font color=006400>Marveous posting, was wondering this for a while now, thank you muchley James!

<center>One Can Reason With Ignorance, But It Is Futile To Argue With Stupidity.

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/egypt.gif<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/sdtbaja>The Shadowdale Tower Halls & Link to CNS Web Site</a>/php-bin/shared/images/icons/uriel.gif
/php-bin/shared/images/icons/takethat.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/flash.gif

M

Mring

hey i just heard from someone on a true black yesterday at the brit bank that someone just tamed it for him.. and that they are back.. is this true?

J

James of GL

No, definitely not :) I've been getting a lot of questions like this, people even saw "pure white wyrms" spawn, but it can't be more than maybe a flaw in the program or something. I made sure to check back with <font color=red>Calandryll</font color=red> regarding those sightings, and he pointed out again that the fix would also require a *server side* update, so a patch will *not* and *never* make them spawn again :) It will probably be implemented once they're going to upgrade the servers for whatever reason.

I hope that helped,

-James

<font color=191970>Great Lakes

James, Bardic Tamer
Jayge of Trinsic, Scoundrel

Europa

Pyre Pendragon, Treasure Hunter Tamer
Phoenixsong, Bardic Tamer
Wynd Spiritblade, Warrior Blacksmithy</font color=191970>

M

Mring

hey yes that did thx a lot :)

saved me from staking out the mare spawn! :p

P

Puppy

Pure white wyrms ARE spawning on the rewards test server, or were yesterday before they took it down again. I bought one from someone who had two stabled. I didn't see any pure/longmane mares, though.

Since this thread is kind of cumbersome, I'm going to post this info in a new thread below so people will be sure to see it. :) I'm all excited!

Stupid lasers!

J

James of GL

Thanks for the info, Puppy, I added it to the FAQ /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif. Be sure to let me know when anything changes, I don't play UO.

<font color=191970>Great Lakes

James, Bardic Tamer
Jayge of Trinsic, Scoundrel

Europa

Pyre Pendragon, Treasure Hunter Tamer
Phoenixsong, Bardic Tamer
Wynd Spiritblade, Warrior Blacksmithy</font color=191970>

G

Geo_Of_LS

I can't wait till the fix goes through, *mumbles...about 1-2 months about OSI was talking about it...go figure..oh well...mumble grumble*
The only downside to this I can see is...the competition it'll create at the mare spawns. In Fel tamers are gonna get, granted they have any, red friends/greifers to help them tame any pure that spawns. In Tram it'll be people luring, *ugh*

Oh well, I'm looking forward to it anyway, even though I'm easily killed in Fel, hehe, bard-tamer. I can't wait to see what my pure hell hound looks like in 3d!!
Currently it's a....dog. Yuckers.

Osi is to banning as Americans are to sueing.
People suck =[

J

James of GL

Heheh /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Like I've said before, with the fast spawn "pures" will soon be everybody's mount and the other mares might get more attention in the future... because everybody and his brother will ride a "pure" /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=blue>"I try to get away from the Tamers' Forum, but they keep dragging me back in!"

G

I dont want a pure mare, i want one of those lovley long maned mares, they look so much nicer /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/magic.gifGM Tamer/php-bin/shared/images/icons/magic.gif
/php-bin/shared/images/icons/takethat.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smash.gif/php-bin/shared/images/icons/eek4.gif

I

Ingesticide

But however my mare looks, it's still my loyal mount. When the legacy's start respawning, I'll just stick with the mare I have now, the first mare I ever got and she's still going strong, I don't think I'd ever trade her in for a new model, heh. I'm sure this will be devestating to the bank sitters who live to show off their pure mares and wyrms. I'd just like to see the variety back, it seems there's more mares than horses at the bank these days, if it's going to be that way it'd at least be nice if they didn't all look the same.

<center>

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity,
and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
-H.P. Lovecraft</center>

D

Deadly Priest

La lA la... just to piss you all off i'm replying to this post... but so i don't get OT or anything... why couldn't they leave the legacy pets as a legacy and not switch them to... umm.. nowness? .. i have a considerably confined vocabulary...

R

RedPhoenix

Holy cow how did you manage to find this post? Its a year old and no one cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.