• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Reforging -- The Search for Accurate info.. HELP !!

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm really amazed of the lack of information about HOW the Reforging system actually works. I'm going to start REALLY looking because this information has to be out there already. I'd like to know the "weights" of various properties & all the gruesome details etc...

Anyway.....

I'm aware of these threads here...

( #1 )
[Imbuing] - Reforging. How to | Stratics: A Career Path in Gaming

( #2 )
[General] - Reforging Question... Runic Weights? | Stratics: A Career Path in Gaming

Specifically if anyone is aware of the website Semmerset is referring to in thread #2 post number 7..

"Fundamental +60
Stractural +40

If 2 property add ( and use dull runic)
100+20( powerful) + 40( stactual) = 160
Only calculation,it can.(but singl 40 ssi,impossible)
However,add one more property and it is very hard for max(ssi 40) .
And if you use copper runic,very hard.

and my reforging knowledge from japanese web. :D" <<---- URL ANYONE ??

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
To be honest this confuses the heck out of me also. I have seen no website or other info.

Deception

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I am searching for the websites myself Vexxed. I've been only going off of what Semmerset has given us. Hopefully we will get more info soon

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went to the uo Japan website (translated to English by google) in hopes of finding links to fansites which might take me down this path. Unfortunately, the images can't be translated so there are a few too many branches to try. If anyone wanted to try it for themselves...

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went to the uo Japan website (translated to English by google) in hopes of finding links to fansites which might take me down this path. Unfortunately, the images can't be translated so there are a few too many branches to try. If anyone wanted to try it for themselves...
Yep Been there done that too! If you google translate you can usually tell what the topic is after reading some of the posts. I've even switched my google search to include Japanese / Chinese Languages in the searching & gone through the top 20 pages of hits searching for keywords you'd think would cut it... NO luck. I've submitted a question asking for a detailed explanation of Reforging in the "Ask Devs Forum" so that question is in the Queue, but I have no idea when or if it will be answered. I do know that the "Ask & Answers" draw from the major UO Fansites so if anyone wants to use some of those other sites to perhaps get a "Explain Reforging in Detail" question through to the Dev team I think that might help...

Anyway....

CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN REFORGING IN DETAIL..... ??

LetheGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you simply want to know how they figured out the maximum property weight for each runic tool ignore the rest of this post (I have no clue). ;)
If you want to know how much weight reforging assigns to a specific property intensity, there's no need.

[General] - Reforging Question... Runic Weights? | Stratics: A Career Path in Gaming

Semmerset gave us all the info we need in those threads. Imbuing allows us to custom tailor exact property intensities/number of properties. We're given the two variables ( base property weight total item weight ) we need to figure out exact property intensities.

Reforging is a more focused and updated version of the runic crafting we've always had. Since the intensities/properties are still random we don't need to know individual weight per percent intensity. We only need to know the maximum intensity per property. Since the property intensities are still random we set the budget (choose the right runic tool) high enough to allow the rng to roll a maximum intensity property.

This shows each hammer's single property budget, total budget per hammer and how many properties each can produce. Powerful,structural,fundamental add 20/40/60 to a hammer's budget.

To increase the chance of a single max property you'd use the lowest end hammer with the budget you need.

For -15 mage weapon:
Find the lowest end hammer that can produce the intensity you want.
Copper Runic with powerful reforge in this case.
140 (copper's max single property intensity) + 20 (powerful reforge) = 160.
Any hammer with a single property budget of 160 or more can produce a -15 mage weapon. There is chance the copper runic will add two additional properties. Each property adds 40 points to the total budget of the hammer and the points will be split between all three properties.

If we wanted to try for a -15 mage weapon with 40 ssi we need a hammer with atleast a two property 320 point budget. An agapite hammer + powerful reforge would have a chance to make it, but it can also roll three more properties.

-15 mage wep takes 160 points
40 ssi: same as the mage wep (copper hammer and powerful reforge) 160 points

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so why not use val hammers to get the highest intensities? am i understanding this right?

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i cant even figure out how to get the menu or display up to reroll a item, let alone do it. haha

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
so why not use val hammers to get the highest intensities? am i understanding this right?
Some of the property group (like luck's "of Fortune") are ONLY available from low-end runics. They can occur as a random property on the higher runics, but you can only choose them to reforge for with the lower half of the runic range.

Last edited:

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have done this sir. However, have not seen a menu or option to modify or as said here. Reforge anything.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Are you sure you're using a Stygian Abyss enabled account? And, you can't reforge without sufficiently high Imbuing skill.

LetheGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrm :confused2: Are you trying to do it at the queen's forge in Ter Mur? If yes, do you have the 15000 loyalty points needed to use the forge? Not sure what else it might be.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you sure you're using a Stygian Abyss enabled account? And, you can't reforge without sufficiently high Imbuing skill.
to make things clear, i have made over 2 billion gold just by making suits. so yes i am 120 imbuing, and i am a 15 year vet, and yes i have every expansion. and no i wasnt in ter mur, but my crafter does 15k loyalty anyways. i was in my main castle.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
to make things clear, i have made over 2 billion gold just by making suits. so yes i am 120 imbuing, and i am a 15 year vet, and yes i have every expansion. and no i wasnt in ter mur, but my crafter does 15k loyalty anyways. i was in my main castle.
Six you can pat yourself on the back all you want... 2 billion blah blah, 15 years blah blah, but when you ask umm..... "Newbie" questions often & repeatedly people will stop caring how old your account is or how many heads you have in a box... I mean didn't you just post about obviously reforged armor that you swore wasn't reforged? Anyway, I guess I do find the quoted stuff above annoying after the 15th time lol.
This is PEON btw.

On a side note..
Basics

Re-Forging requires:
  • Stygian Abyss entitled account
  • User must be near a soulforge (soulforge bonuses do not apply)
  • User must have at least 65% Imbuing skill, more skill enables more options
You can only Re-Forge non-magical, craftable items. Both the item and the runic tool must be on top level of the backpack. Re-Forging will consume up to 10 charges from the runic tool, depending on the number of options selected. Runic tools can now be combined together if they are exactly the same type, up to a maximum of 100 charges. Higher runics have more budget and can add more properties but some properties are only possible with lower runics. For example, you cannot add "Auspicious/of Fortune" with a bronze runic hammer. If no naming options (Grand, Exalted, Inspired, Sublime Artifice) are selected, the tool will simply add item properties randomly.

Runic Re-Forging - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you simply want to know how they figured out the maximum property weight for each runic tool ignore the rest of this post (I have no clue). ;)
If you want to know how much weight reforging assigns to a specific property intensity, there's no need.

Semmerset gave us all the info we need in those threads. Imbuing allows us to custom tailor exact property intensities/number of properties. We're given the two variables ( base property weight total item weight ) we need to figure out exact property intensities.

Reforging is a more focused and updated version of the runic crafting we've always had. Since the intensities/properties are still random we don't need to know individual weight per percent intensity. We only need to know the maximum intensity per property. Since the property intensities are still random we set the budget (choose the right runic tool) high enough to allow the rng to roll a maximum intensity property.

This shows each hammer's single property budget, total budget per hammer and how many properties each can produce. Powerful,structural,fundamental add 20/40/60 to a hammer's budget.

To increase the chance of a single max property you'd use the lowest end hammer with the budget you need.

For -15 mage weapon:
Find the lowest end hammer that can produce the intensity you want.
Copper Runic with powerful reforge in this case.
140 (copper's max single property intensity) + 20 (powerful reforge) = 160.
Any hammer with a single property budget of 160 or more can produce a -15 mage weapon. There is chance the copper runic will add two additional properties. Each property adds 40 points to the total budget of the hammer and the points will be split between all three properties.

If we wanted to try for a -15 mage weapon with 40 ssi we need a hammer with atleast a two property 320 point budget. An agapite hammer + powerful reforge would have a chance to make it, but it can also roll three more properties.

-15 mage wep takes 160 points
40 ssi: same as the mage wep (copper hammer and powerful reforge) 160 points
1) Thx for the Reply LetheGL, but I totally disagree..... The devil is in the Details & what we have currently is a vague understanding...

2) I understand what you did about taking the tables and using them to figure out the "weight" of a given mod simply by taking for granted that the Runic Budgets given to us are correct & then looking to see what THEY said is the minimum runic to hit the wanted REFORGE intensity... so like you said 160 for -15 MW etc. BUT.... How those Budgets are broken up into multiple properties is important and also

-20 MW takes a Copper... Copper w/ 1 Mod = 140 points
-15 MW Takes Powerful Copper which adds 20 points = 160 points... Seems to me -15 MW is anywhere from 141 - 160 "Budget" points...

3) Example... I want a 100% fire Soul Glaive with 45% Velocity.. The 100% fire Reforge with ZERO other mods other than the elemental is EASY.. I get that part. BUT, then tell me not simply how, but the BEST way to achieve 45% Velocity when I reforge a 2nd time. I know it takes at least a powerful copper Reforge & a Copper has 2 property Minimum so that's 180 pts + 20 (powerful) = 200 points... Now is powerful copper more likely to craft this wepaon or do I switch to just a Bronze Runic Reforge? aka 3 Min properties so a budget of 260 points.... As you can see it really is all in the Details...which we don't have..

I do appreciate your work though. I bet you'd love to hear the DEVS explain how it works reguardless...

LetheGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I gotcha now I think. We need to know if the different runics are equal with the only difference being a higher 'budget' or if each tool has a higher minimum/maximum intensity range (like they do with plain runic crafting). Yes?

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Six you can pat yourself on the back all you want... 2 billion blah blah, 15 years blah blah, but when you ask umm..... "Newbie" questions often & repeatedly people will stop caring how old your account is or how many heads you have in a box... I mean didn't you just post about obviously reforged armor that you swore wasn't reforged? Anyway, I guess I do find the quoted stuff above annoying after the 15th time lol.
This is PEON btw.

On a side note..
Basics

Re-Forging requires:
  • Stygian Abyss entitled account
  • User must be near a soulforge (soulforge bonuses do not apply)
  • User must have at least 65% Imbuing skill, more skill enables more options
You can only Re-Forge non-magical, craftable items. Both the item and the runic tool must be on top level of the backpack. Re-Forging will consume up to 10 charges from the runic tool, depending on the number of options selected. Runic tools can now be combined together if they are exactly the same type, up to a maximum of 100 charges. Higher runics have more budget and can add more properties but some properties are only possible with lower runics. For example, you cannot add "Auspicious/of Fortune" with a bronze runic hammer. If no naming options (Grand, Exalted, Inspired, Sublime Artifice) are selected, the tool will simply add item properties randomly.

Runic Re-Forging - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia
when i have been away for 4 months, i could car less what anyone thinks. newbie questions? I dont know crap about trammel and the rest of the candy lands. I just know this reforging looks like it could be profitable.

This response was to these questions, "Hrm :confused2: Are you trying to do it at the queen's forge in Ter Mur? If yes, do you have the 15000 loyalty points needed to use the forge? Not sure what else it might be." & "Are you sure you're using a Stygian Abyss enabled account? And, you can't reforge without sufficiently high Imbuing skill."

If it bothers you do not read it. I asked for help/advise not smart*^& comments.

Last edited:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it bothers you do not read it. I asked for help/advise not smart*^& comments.
1) You shouldn't have read my post then if it bothers you so much....
2) You've received both "Help / Smart*^& comments....

Mostly I was just trying to point out that the process isn't complicated and the advice you've received was accurate & should enable you to reforge stuff. I simply get tired of your holier than thou ELDER PvP master stuff... Try humble for a change, & YES Reforging can make just as much as imbuing earned you. There's people been doing that since day 1 so it might be hard breaking in on the market at such a late date. I'd honestly consider farming High-End Shame Mosnters if that's in your ballpark. Keep what you need & sell the rest, but Jewelry with like 16 Mods etc has it's uses.

I'm out.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. You just walk up to the soulforge and click the tool to use it - it will give a different menu than the normal crafting one.
1.a. There is the possibility that you have the soulforge too close in proximity (x/y - the problem can occur on the same floor, or if your soulforge is over or under the regular forge on a different floor) to your regular forge and anvil, for weapons and metal armor.

2. Items must be clean of ALL PROPERTIES other than Exceptional bonuses (DI for weapons, additional resists for armor) and/or elemental colors, and be made of the base material only (iron, wood, leather, stone, etc., not special ores, leathers or woods), and cannot have been previously imbued.
2.a. I'm not sure if using a whetstone on a weapon prior to reforging will affect it. Frankly, it would be better to wait until after reforging, in the off chance DI gets added - it's only imbuing, not reforging, that you will want to get rid of the DI for.
2.b. Elemental damage stopped counting as a property a few months after the SA launch. It's now considered a bonus effect that sometimes occurs in the runic process (with another property rolled for if a check indicates it), so the only way to have clean elemental damage weapons are to find them as non-exceptional loot, or have them from before SA, where you created a single-property weapon with a DC hammer, and that single property was elemental damage.

IMO, Fel is the only Candy-land in UO - it's where all the people with the in-game maturity of preschoolers hang out, and where the creeps hang out that try to seduce the unwary into getting violated by them with promises of candy (power scrolls, more resources, etc.). So, please, leave your Fel-superiority ideas where they belong - in UO PvP Thief, UO Factions and your shard forum's threads for PvP discussion.

LetheGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can only speak for myself Six. My replies were meant to help you not to ridicule. Getting the imbue menu up is a simple process so the questions/replies posted are pretty simple.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're not getting the menu at all, then I suggest you move yourself to a different Soul Forge and try it again.

And -
..... IMO, Fel is the only Candy-land in UO - it's where all the people with the in-game maturity of preschoolers hang out, and where the creeps hang out that try to seduce the unwary into getting violated by them with promises of candy (power scrolls, more resources, etc.). So, please, leave your Fel-superiority ideas where they belong - in UO PvP Thief, UO Factions and your shard forum's threads for PvP discussion.
What Basara said ^^^^^^^ Fel has way too many angry, immature players for most of us to bother venturing into that wasteland...

Last edited: