• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Refinements YES or NO

Do you want Armor Refinements?

• YES

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • NO

Votes: 113 79.6%

• Total voters

ShadowTrauma

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be interesting to see if/how much people's opinions have changed on Refinements. The devs have certainly done a much better job cleaning up some of the issues with this new system, it still has a few problem areas however in my opinion, and I still do not want the system. Will I pout and cry when Refinements goes live? (...and it looks like it will be.) The answer is no, I will just be further disappointed, but ultimately unaffected.

I really do hope we don't see specific encounters designed with Refinements being required, that would defeat one of the largest points of them being "optional" in my opinion.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Exactly at the time we all still thought refinements would still allow us to get 95 dci. Then Bleak posted and said its only 70% now so that took care of probably the biggest problem.
Ya, I don't visit Stratics all that often. I didn't pay attention to the date on the poll.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
hmm, but new accounts can only see help! What would happen if you, and Theo, and several other like minded players started using help to converse with each other and avoid general chat?
We'd have to put up with spam bot spamming 100,000 times a day about UOGOLDXXX....

And I'd NEVER get a Circle.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's the issue at it's simplest; even if people don't want to use the new system for themselves, crafters have to navigate the labyrinth to do it for anyone else, newbies need it explaining to them, probably an hour after they ask because you've needed to spreadsheet it, or they've gotten bored and wandered off after you've tried to explain you need to see what parts they already have... The whole system is just horrible complexity for complexities' sake.

Why isn't there a simple, single Modification Gump with sliding bars, so you can input your target item, and then it says "You need X Skills, Y Items for this. Items Highlighted in Red are missing". Click and... Done. all skills are automatically used, items burnt up. Sure, it ruins the "Bang your hammer in a forge" feeling to crafting, but that's been buried under Imbuing and Reforging and suffocated to death years ago anyway. Piling more earth on the top with even more complications is just digging up and ("Candlelight romancing" - Ed) it's corpse.

The people here, who HAVE to have the peak item power will go through the process no matter how complex because they are fixated on the results. But they tend to be a dedicated minority. Make the process simpler, and we all get what we want; fun and the items required to go experience it, or just the items if you really must have them. Make it more complex and you drive out at least one group, those who won't trawl through spreadsheets no matter what... so this is bad, bad design. Keep the systems in if you really MUST have such stats-madness, but at least simplify the user experience!

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
most, including myself, voted in this pole prior to major editting taking place.
Yup, I voted no, because of the 95%. When it was dropped to 70% the only problem I have with it is that the process could easily have been pared down without losing much of anything of the idea. Not too complex, just too unnecessary.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stratics doesn't represent the entire playerbase, it represents a hardcore segment of the playerbase. So what, are we supposed to think the casuals are going to embrace this crap? Casuals are all going to scamper off to stock up on piles of nonstackable garbage and pore over charts? What a joke. If this poll is an inaccurate representation of UO as a whole, that's probably because it's too skewed in favor of Refinement.

This entire experience has been a minstrel show, a farce. Kyronix or whoever decided we were getting Refinement whether anyone wanted it or not, and the only "feedback" he ever wanted was positive.
There are plenty of casual players that post here, and... again... this system is purely optional, and I predict that in a month after its release every person here vehemently against the system will have forgotten it entirely because it will have ZERO effect on their game play.

Reminds me of the multipage flame fest over adding in murder reprieves. A bunch of people were going insane about how horrible it was and how it would ruin the game. Two weeks later it was forgotten.

Is it a great system? No. Could it be much simpler and accomplish the same general effect? Yes, it really could, but some people are acting like this is the end of the world or something. I just don't get it.

I would also like to add that they never said "Test this, and if you don't like it we won't put it into the game" nor have they ever, nor should they, AND they actually DID listen to some tester feedback. They took back the removal of feint, they got rid of the stamina loss boost on leather, and they dropped the DCI cap to a reasonable level. So in the end the changes to people game play and the REQUIREMENT to build new suits was pretty much removed.

I want to be clear that I don't "like" this addition, I find it to be needlessly clunky in both execution of the process and representation of the effects, but the IDEA is fine.

It's just like cannons to a lesser degree. I have yet to fire a cannon because each shot takes like 8 steps and like 10k to make when it should be 2 or 3 steps at MOST and much less cost. Just not worth it to me. This change isn't as extreme as that, but it suffers from the same design flaws.
The idea is fine, and while I personally may not be excited about it, and I personally may not use the system, I can accept that others are and will, and in the end it will have no effect on me either way.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not going to vote, because the topic goes beyond a simple yes or no debate. Back when refinements were first mentioned by the devs, I would have immediately voted yes; because the idea has long bugged me that we have whole categories of armor that are effectively useless at any skill level and for almost any player. (And we may as well throw in all the weapons, items and skills for which the same can be said.) On its face, this only looks like bad game design. My issue starts way down at the bottom of the ladder of balance, with the kind of armor that you can buy off vendors or find off monsters, and ends way up at the top, with rewards and crafted sets. What does it look like when a new player is told to simply ignore all of the garbage? Answer: it looks like bad game design. Any competent player is going to wonder why such massive quantities of it were put in the game in the first place.

In this very particular aspect that I'm describing, Ultima Online should be more complex than it is, because the game is (and always has been) billed not just as an RPG, but as a virtual world where everything you can interact with matters in some way. Simple and casual were NEVER words that Richard Garriott wanted to see us throwing at the game's crafting mechanics. Those terms weren't even in the industry vernacular when UO was created. Casual MMOs came several years later in response to overly complex RPG systems. I'd never ask the devs to roll over and serve that trend--it wouldn't get them anywhere significant at this point anyway. All I care about is how the amount of outright garbage the game's database spits into the game world doesn't represent simplicity; it represents bad game design, or (to put it in a fairer, more understanding tone) a culmination of "junk DNA" that has resulted from otherwise impressive updates and patches over the last 15 years.

Even though that sounds like a yes vote, it's not necessarily. But then again--and I'm saying this even as a fan boy for the dev team--I don't think my vote (or even yours) matters. Implementation is the important thing, as we all seem to agree, and I knew as soon as I read the OP that this wasn't a discussion about what Americans or Europeans want. So my first thought was, "Okay, why can't we just have our rule set and the Japanese players have theirs?" But my brain quickly countered with a sack of cold, hard bricks: at that point, we would be receiving special treatment in an increasingly tiny margin. And that's the quickest way to get publisher support for your localization shut down when the accountants are combing their books. Here in the year 2013, we're probably better off as suckerfish, to put it frankly.

Japanese players far outstrip our subscriber numbers and dollars--particularly our dollars in the item shop. Westerners have a bad habit of not really trying all that hard to financially support the games they claim to love. If you've bought something in the item shop recently, good for you, but you're part of the minority in our market. Without the Japanese players, we might be griping over nothing less than the game's closure right now. I don't think Americans and Europeans will be able to bend that reality out of existence with an Internet poll on Stratics.

Last edited:

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Gargoyle with 50 HCI = Crazypants, needs nerf
Whoever with 70 DCI = Balanced...?

Whatever, I'm a sampire, I'll just enjoy being more OP.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gargoyle with 50 HCI = Crazypants, needs nerf
Whoever with 70 DCI = Balanced...?

Whatever, I'm a sampire, I'll just enjoy being more OP.
There's no downside to the gargoyle HCI, but then again I think its fine. There is a downside to having 70% DCI.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's no downside to the gargoyle HCI, but then again I think its fine. There is a downside to having 70% DCI.
Not really. Just lower the resists you know the monster isn't going to damage.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And that's pretty awesome. Who doesn't like awesome stuff?

Anyway, these changes look pretty final to me. If they scrap this feature now, then their dev time would have been truly wasted. So I think we can all agree upon, that it is best to keep it...

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I think we can all agree upon, that it is best to keep it...
Hell no.

Although if I had to choose between refinements being torn out and mage armor being fixed, I'd say mage armor must be fixed, so mage armor gives all normal armor bonuses and is once again part of imbuing and reforging etc.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats true, but I was mainly referring to pvp situations, as I don;t know why anyone would care about gargoyle hci in pvm.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hell no.

Although if I had to choose between refinements being torn out and mage armor being fixed, I'd say mage armor must be fixed, so mage armor gives all normal armor bonuses and is once again part of imbuing and reforging etc.
I agree on that. Same with balance taking away the ability to parry/evade.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Refinements are just another flavor of ice cream, at least for now with the current game content. Should players be required to alter dci cap's in the future 'to survive', then I would have to say, that Refinements are on the food pyramid. Until that day comes, enjoy your flavor of ice cream.
All of your post was very smart and well-written Gedgerez. I quoted just the above part because it's kind of relieving to think of it like that. A lot of people will probably skip your analysis but they should take the time to read your whole post (especially the devs). With tweaks this could be a system that is grindy-fun enough for the Japanese players and fun enough for NA/EU players who just like to tinker around with systems.

I wish this had worked out differently. As it is another way to tinker around with UO I don't think that in itself is a bad thing. In fact it will probably bring some players back to check out the new system. It got brought up in Linkrealms (a game inspired by UO that I play) the other night in global chat and players talked about it for a couple hours. It's got a lot of unrealized potential. Maybe that can be ironed out later. Let's hope so. Putting the system into the game isn't terrifyingly awful, but letting it sit without any further tweaking would be.

Clearly this system does have some fans according to the poll; I wish some of those fans would chime in to explain the benefits of the system in an articulate way, to give a clearer picture. Although I'm not crazy about refinements as they are being implemented, I'm a HUGE fan of introducing systems like this as OPTIONAL and ADDITIONAL ways to play the game and develop your character and items. It's a sandbox and anyone who says there should be only one cookie and only one way to cut it is welcome to my ignore list. The majority on Stratics will always be against change of ANY form, but that doesn't mean those of us who are reasonable can't keep on truckin' with some reasonable discussion.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The refinements are coming despite public opinion, despite the 100's upon 100's of complaints I have read & documented personally on test center.
It's really the most blatant case of "Players hate my idea? Well screw them if they don't appreciate my genius!" UO dev arrogance I've seen in at least a decade. At least MrTact had the decency to yank Diminishing Returns years ago when everyone hated it. The way they ruined factions has taught them nothing.

Last edited:

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to say....I love refinement ONLY because it created some awesome deco for my artist
room and smithy rooms and kitchen. :):) And I do not a degree in engineering to deco.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hell no.

That would end up putting us right where we are now (pre-pub 81), Every mage, (including myself) would just switch to Studded/Plate Armor, and drop med if we were to get all the bonuses non-med is getting but keeping the items med-able. (one of the reasons dexers are underpowered when compared to mages, They first, need all 3 stats, Dexers need more skill-points in their template no matter how you put it together)
That's the reason I don't want mages to benefit from the extra bonuses.

I actually like the way mage armor is changing though, Except for the fact it cannot be applied to artifacts or items with more than 4 mods.
not to mention it's going to be a lot easier making my dexer suits, since it's not going to be possible to get Mage Armor as a property via reforging, now them val=hammers & barbed kits have a smaller chance to roll Wasteful items I'll never use.

(Mage-Armor negates the inherent lmc bonus & stamina protection) I still don't see the justification of it not being able to get added back or added too an item with more than 4 properties.
But it's not something that the Dev's can't tweak in a future publish or anything. all it would need to do is negate the refinements and the LMC/Stam bonuses, and IMO the new mage-armor system would be amazing.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would end up putting us right where we are now (pre-pub 81), Every mage, (including myself) would just switch to Studded/Plate Armor, and drop med if we were to get all the bonuses non-med is getting but keeping the items med-able. (one of the reasons dexers are underpowered when compared to mages, They first, need all 3 stats, Dexers need more skill-points in their template no matter how you put it together)
That's the reason I don't want mages to benefit from the extra bonuses.

I actually like the way mage armor is changing though, Except for the fact it cannot be applied to artifacts or items with more than 4 mods.
not to mention it's going to be a lot easier making my dexer suits, since it's not going to be possible to get Mage Armor as a property via reforging, now them val=hammers & barbed kits have a smaller chance to roll Wasteful items I'll never use.

(Mage-Armor negates the inherent lmc bonus & stamina protection) I still don't see the justification of it not being able to get added back or added too an item with more than 4 properties.
But it's not something that the Dev's can't tweak in a future publish or anything. all it would need to do is negate the refinements and the LMC/Stam bonuses, and IMO the new mage-armor system would be amazing.
I actually like the mage armor changes for the most part as well. I mean it no long takes up any imbue weight only costs 250,000 which is probably less then most would pay for the materials you needed to imbue it before. I think it would be nice though like you said for mage armor to be added to anything even if it is an artifact or has more then four properties. I think at the very least for instance if I take mage armor off an artifact then decide later on oh I am going to use that for a mage I should be able to reapply mage armor to that artifact. But not sure how possible that is coding wise. But over all this a good fix for the mage armor issue.

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted yes. Lets continue to screw this game up and run it into the ground...I remember when Age of Sh*t was released and an overwhelming majority of players stating that it was time for UO to "change to keep up with the times". I also remember a mass exodus of players leaving because of changes made to "keep up with the times". So, all you peep's that encourage the dev's to keep UO "on par" with other mmo games, this is what you've asked for and this is what they continue to shove down our throats...I couldn't tell you how many times i've heard players say "adapt, deal with it, learn game mechanics" this includes the OP. Well, practice what you preach LOL...I say bring it on!! Soon we'll have them turn this game into Bloons Tower Defense LMf'nAO.