[Discussion] Rares Festival Regulations....

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Rares Festival should be

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Dec 17, 2006
Chesapeake
vboards.stratics.com
This is pure feeler that I am sending out to the community on my own. I have no power to say this is how it will be nor am I the mod or news reporter here. The poll will be public so I know who is voting. Do not be afraid to vote, this is your voice and opinion

If you write a reply remember one key thing, It's not what you write but how you write it.

Suggestion
I feel it should be done this way because...
I would like to see the following additions...

Collectors who do not use stratics can send their vote to me over icq at 267944224

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Dec 17, 2006
Chesapeake
vboards.stratics.com
I forgot to add an option for mini festivals like Nabins Swap Meet idea. Example 2 major Rare Festivals and 1 mini Swap Meet. (Received over icq)

Funtony

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Rares Festival shoud be held every other month on a different shard. These are my reasons why:

1. There are over 30 Shards and each shard has at least 2 Major Events every month with Rewards and Event Items handed out. Do the math. That is a lot of items to keep track of. Having a Rares Festival once or twice a year makes it taxing on Collectors and Sellers a like with that many items.

2. Needs to be rotated, so that people get a chance to see more of that Shards' Rare Items. Allows players who live on that shard to not have to transfer and can show off more of their Wares, as the Festival counts down to zero.

3. Creates a sense of Community for the Hosting Shard and allows the Citizens of that shard to show their sense of pride and honor with the Festival Design, Housing, and Organization.

4. Once or twice a year just does not give people time to see all that is available. If the Festival rotated to all the Shards once or twice a year, then it would take 10-20 years for each shard to have it on their shard once.

5. I prefer having the Rares' Festival more often as it gives me a chance to change my Collection, either add to it or sell an item that doesn't fit my taste anymore. Plus I don't want to wait 6 months to a year to see if someone is going to sell it.

6. Having the Rares' Festival more often also allows people to see what Rare items have become available and to allow the Hosting Shard's Citizens to display their Museums and Wares, perhaps make trades and private sales, too!

There are many more reasons to have it more often then once, twice, or even once a quarter, but I think you get the jist of what I am saying from the reasons listed above.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Dec 17, 2006
Chesapeake
vboards.stratics.com
The Rares Festival shoud be held every other month on a different shard. These are my reasons why:
Thank you for voicing your opinion, it is very appreciated and you gave me a different view on things I have not thought of.

Promathia if you would please post a constructive response I would appreciate it, to keep the thread going in a positive direction. Purdy please?

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 30, 2009
(Insert everything restroom has said here)

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jul 20, 2008
Zento, Catskills
I feel like 3 times a year is a great number and that is what I voted for.

That gives plenty of time for people to attend many EM events and have enough stock to make a trip somewhere WORTHWHILE.

I skipped a whole festival in the last year because I didn't have the stock to justify the effort. I no longer am a "power rares guy", but I believe that having festivals at any greater frequency than 3 cheapens the value of them and also the quality of the items that we see on the vendors.

IMO, there is nothing worse than transferring to a shard for a rares fest and it basically looking like any Luna vendor on shard "X"....

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jun 20, 2010

That gives plenty of time for people to attend many EM events and have enough stock to make a trip somewhere WORTHWHILE.

I skipped a whole festival in the last year because I didn't have the stock to justify the effort. I no longer am a "power rares guy", but I believe that having festivals at any greater frequency than 3 cheapens the value of them and also the quality of the items that we see on the vendors.

IMO, there is nothing worse than transferring to a shard for a rares fest and it basically looking like any Luna vendor on shard "X"....
I Agree Slick, thats sorta what i posted in the Baja Proposal. And Funtony's post up above is why i mentiond in my post about all the people who has chars on every shard. It will get very expensive xfering rares off of some for rares fest once every other month.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 24, 2003

I agree that three times a year is probably best. If they were spaced out evenly, the rares fest closest to the winter holiday will do the best. But I am undecided about the recent quality of stock. I think the 100 mil price limit combined with my observation that there seem to be more events but yielding fewer items.

At least it seems to me that the 10 item or less events always exceed the 100 mil vendor cap here in the forums. Even a lot of 15/20 item drops were very well thought out and generated a lot of 100+ mill attention.

This year anyway there haven't been so many (that I saw) holiday driven events that gave out desirables in mediocre quantity that would stock a vendor nicely. Specifically Easter and Saint Patrick's Day.

Finally with so many more attending events, the items are spread out over more players. This isn't a bad thing at all. But it makes it harder for one person to stock a rares vendor.

I see rares fest expanding more into multiple silent auction plots while vendor plots may yield high end very uncommon Lunaish items plus a few tidbits left over from here or there.

B

Beleth of Atlantic

I have to say the the elitist sense of entitlement openly displayed by some members of the rares community is disgusting.

You are not special because you thought of/helped with/carried out the first rares fest or any thereafter. You are not special because your collection is massive. You should not be a ****** because you are posting something on the internet and feel you are superior to others.

Thank you Gareth for the poll. I voted for 4 times a year, once per season seems reasonable with the amount of items being introduced via EM events.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Dec 17, 2006
Chesapeake
vboards.stratics.com
Thank you posters above for giving your opinions, reading all of them just pulls me in like 50 different directions like, I want to do it that way, this way or the other way hehe. I am just more of a tell me what to do, how to do it and where/when to show up kinda person these days....which is weird because I use to be a control freak but I'm happy with whatever you all decide to do as a community. :)

:beer:

Bon Iver

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
Toad Town
I voted for three times a year because it seems like the perfect amount of time, 4 months for each fest. As one of those in charge of this years Atlantic Rares Fest and from talk from other holders, they take a while to prepare for. Also most collectors and buyers want some time to revive their stock and their bank accounts. Every other month, as was previously stated above, is extremely rushed and the economy won't be stimulated enough in that short amount of time.

Just an opinion, no one has to take it to heart.

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
Vesper & Minoc
There are a lot of good points and food for thought in the threads here. I'm sure many of you all reading here are vet players 10+ in UO the numbers of players have dwindled significantly since UO began.

I would love in an ideal world to see folks create a char or travel to every shard over a year and interact with other folks, but I don't know how realistic it would be to host an auction or sale as some shards simply do not have enough active players to accomodate such.

Does that mean we can maybe modify a bit and do 3 shards a year, the next year ideally a different 3? Then in between rather than sales... maybe host museum or display events? An opportunity for folks to create a toon (NO COST if you have a slot open) come meet, tour, engage in some sort of low skill/risk fun... part of bringing rare's fest to GL is just as stated a sense of shard pride, community, improved traffic... we do an annual Gathering of the Guilds on Great Lakes its a meet and greet-recruiting opportunity.

It would be great for information, budgeting, window shopping to get the chance to visit shards between sales in an organized event and chat, compare notes, see who has what that might end up for sale.

Heck maybe an event could be arranged that would divide visitors up into teams by shard to win bragging rights in some competition.

Sorry if I'm too PollyAnna... lol

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 31, 2001
Hi there,

even the crazy smiths needs to say something about this.
3 times a year I say.Would I cry my eyes out if it will be more or less?
Naah not really.

If to many ,I stay home.If to few, I have more gold on the next one.
RL is good that way,I plan to visit all festivals but RL sometime needs me and I simply skip a festival.

Regards
The Scandinavian

N

Nez

Very well put. I fourth the frequency of 3 times a year!

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 30, 2009
Awards
Stuck on a rock somewhere in Felucca
What to say.. What to say...

The original posting way back in the beginning of the year we thought having a fest after the 4th of July would net that holidays items and/or the spring cleaning items as well. Anyone else think the walls have ears?

Neither of those events have taken place and I understand the spring cleaning is not going to happen until closer to the Atlantics Rares fest (late September) Many of my guild mates have very little lock down left waiting for this to happen

That being said and after reading the many discussions of this and prior posts I am still undecided as Gareth mentioned there are many points in both sides of the discussion that make sense.

As a mediocre collector I use my rares and event items as home decor mingled in with rubble and Luna style items as many players do. But I love and appreciate (sometimes drool over) the major rares collectors museums and thier collections. After attending the Rares fests over the past several years I have to say they are down right fun and often times better run then EM events. (sorry Bennu and Promethium ) I can plan my RL schedule around them and know I am spending that weekend at my desk. Also put aside items and transfer tokens knowing I am attending that event.

Hosting this falls Rares fest on Atlantic- It can be alot of work- I suppose it depends on the content you want added in your festival. I have attended fests where there were just vendors and an auction available.

What if there was a silent auction held every month with a swap meet?

Just a thought

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 27, 2003
always Legends
I agree with Slickjack's reasoning, but voted for once a year..... make it really worth it