• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Raising Parry with/without Bushido question

Ashkenazy

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Creating a Pure Paladin and raising parry. Does it make it easier or harder if I also have Bushido?

Also whats best way to raise parry now days?

hirikawa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
5-6 Sheeps + if u use Swords Skill then equip Mace, or if u use Mace Skill equip Sword. As extra suit with HPR will help there. U can rise skill up to 120 in this way very smooth and fast.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Well, 1 person for sure doesn't like my idea....

At 94 parry there's plenty of worthwhile things to fight that can raise parry and be kinda fun and profitable.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I took it to 120 in shame, just off the earth elems and the mud elems since they dont cast and have decent skills.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I always get mine to 120 in old Haven. I equip a two handed weapon of a weapon skill that I don't have and get 9 monsters among zombies and skeletons to bash away onto me.
Tends to work pretty fast.

Santos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always get mine to 120 in old Haven. I equip a two handed weapon of a weapon skill that I don't have and get 9 monsters among zombies and skeletons to bash away onto me.
Tends to work pretty fast.
Good way to work healing also.

MiNi MaGi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone confirm if using NPCs in the pits still works? This is the way I used to train Parry (3-4 years ago), Took a few hours, depending on starting level to hit 120. I miss the old days, Could make a 5xgm warrior by placing Hay on top of bags of flour, then casting blade spirits in the center and fight them. :p

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sheep took me to 120.
When?
I tried it 2 days ago with sheep (Parry only, no bushido, used a buckler). Attacked 9 sheeps and tabbed out of combat. They came running towards me and and stood around me, but were only attacking me every 10 seconds a single time. It was wierd. Took me ages to get a few gains (started from 100.0).
After an hour I got so bored, that I decided to switch to skeletons. They took me from roughly 100.5 to 109.0 within another hour. At 109 I stopped gaining. So I recalled back, took a crystal ball of knowledge and went back to the very same skeletons. The crystal ball reported "too easy" for parrying, which means I can't gain off them.

Maybe something has changed with a patch after the last time you all trained parry?

Haven't tested the sheeps with the CBoK, but will do that, the next time I'm logged in. But TBH, I don't expect, that sheeps give any better gains than skeletons...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sheep farms. Hold a 2 handed weapon. I've not done it for a while but I'm sure thats the way.
But that's only for a template with bushido?
Using a 2H instead of a shield without bushido results in a much lower block chance, which should statistcally also result in lesser gains:

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td}Shield{/td}
{td}2H{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}80+ dex, 100 parry{/td}
{td}30%{/td}
{td}17%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}80+ dex, 120 parry{/td}
{td}35%{/td}
{td}20%{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Besides, another question: Bushido from JoaT doesn't count for the block chance penalty when using a shield, or does it?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But that's only for a template with bushido?
Nope don't need bush. In fact I have a char I need to get up to 120 parry who is currently on about 111 so I will try later again.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just tried sheeps at 109 parry/0 bush with just a buckler. CBoK reported: Too easy.
I also tried with a crook (char has just swords & zero mace). Result is the same with sheeps: Too easy.
Then I took the crook to the skeletons, just out of curiosity. What do you know, the crystal ball reports: Easy!
But the best thing is, I'm gaining like crazy! I have 9 skeletons working at me (1 on my tile, 8 around me) and I went from 109.0 to 115.0 (which is my current cap) in 19 minutes! Wow. (The crook went from 36/36 to 0/30)
But you also should bring a cheap suit with 70 phys resist (I recommend buying a few of the new brittle items, since they come with 255 durability and just cost 100 to 5000gp). And bring bandages!

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been a while, but I will try again tomorrow.

As for the crystal ball of knowledge, I don't think it would work with parry. If you parry something, it isn't based off or compared to anything of your opponents or of your character, other than the parry skill itself. It's a flat chance to block, it doesn't care about how high or low your opponents skill is. Given that, I don't see how it would work at all honestly.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for the crystal ball of knowledge, I don't think it would work with parry. If you parry something, it isn't based off or compared to anything of your opponents or of your character, other than the parry skill itself. It's a flat chance to block, it doesn't care about how high or low your opponents skill is. Given that, I don't see how it would work at all honestly.
The only thing I can say for sure is, that when it reported "Too easy", I didn't get any gains, no matter how long I tried.

Santos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just did parry to 120 at the yew sheep pens in a couple hours. Bushido is about 80.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
As has been discussed in other threads about other skills... sometimes a skill can get stuck. I just had my disco get stuck at 109.9... went something like 6800 castings of tribulation without a gain before I decided to stone away 120 music, raise music to 90. Then raise disco again. It went from 109.9 to 120 in well under 6800 attempts.