• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Quick 'How to' tame an Iron Beetle

N

Nenime

Ok, I tamed quite a few of them, died alot(!) and because I don't want my fellow Tamers out there going though the same pain, here's a quick guide how to tame this beasties. I hope you can make use of it. :)

What you need:
- A quick mount of 1 pet slot
- Decent Magery for Energy Vortex, G-Heal, Invis, E-bolt ...
- Fast casting ability (the faster, the better)
- Some knowledge of the place, so go up and down a few times before taming
- An All-70 suit is always recommendable

1. Go to this spawn point (starting from Abyss Entrace Moongate), ignore the spawn along the way.

2. (Note: With the Enhanced Client you will have difficulties to see them. Press Ctrl-shift then or set ShowNames All).

Prepair an E-bolt spell. All beetles run very fast for a few seconds when they are attacked. You can use this to escape from the insane spider- and goblin spawn. E-bolt, run (fast), invis, (heal) and repeat until you reach this point (below), which is quiet enough to tame. Now attack it till it's beaten into subjunction (I threw in two EV followed by a quick Mass Dispel), run in, tame. Taming itself is very easy (when set to 120, of course). Off through the near Moongate (Abyss Entrace), head to Bonding Gate, feed with meat and you're done. :)

For users of the Enhanced Client: To be able to feet it, it must be visible for you. You can achieve this by making it attack something.

Kri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great guide, thanks! :thumbsup:

Any more info about these guys usefulness? I'm still hazy on it's "ore mining/eating" ability...

N

Nenime

About this mining feature, there is a 'Mining Ore' option in the beetles menue but it's deactivated. At least I couldn't make it dig. At some point in this taming procedure, couldn't figure when, it drops occassionaly some ore into your backpack. In about 6 succesful taming processes it happened just once, so again I wonder wether it's a feature or a bug. It is not ridable, unfortunately, I tried it again and again but it's a bit difficult anyway to jump on an invisible pet.

What I can say for sure it that it requires 4 pet slots. And it's a pretty good fighter. Moves quick and in a All-70 suit it can easily munch away half of your healthbar with one bite. Only physical damage. Stats and skills are yet to evaluate but (tamed) roughly like this: Resistances 65/30/30/35/55 and Stats 420/33/45. I will lore some more in the near future but it's a drudgery because of the heavy spider spawn. We'll see. :)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I went and tamed one.

First off, the 2D Client Classic Enhanced the Beetle is permanently visible. It is just the Enhanced Client that it is invisible.

In reality it is always visible just not to the Enhanced Client.

I checked the little room to the east of the entrance to these mobs and it was empty except for a lone Iron Beetle. I tossed an EV at it to see and sure enough the EV engaged it.

I tossed EV's and ended up killing it. Well another one spawned after a time and I used two EV's at first then just kept sending in Earth Elementals as they can be controled (as in all follow me) and released. When the Beetle was ready to tame I just recalled the EE and released it. Walked on over to the Beetle and tamed it.

Well I went through 3 of the Beetles trying to get them out before I got the means to get them out safe and sound. I spamed the Tame south (just to get away from the INSTA SPAWN ON TAME replacement Beetle) Invis'd it to shake off all Aggro. I then cast Invis again and ran on out Invising the Beetle to shake Aggro and then Hiding to shake it on me. Cast Invis again and run some more.

When I got out of the Wolf Spider Layer I just let it kill everything between us and the gate.

Once I gated out, I was faced with the Oh I can not see it to feed it issue of the Instant Bond Gate.

So I loged out and loged in with the 2D and sure enough I could see it just fine. I fed it, walked it through the gate and it bonded with me etc and we left.

Now then I wanted to test this thing out for myself.

I have a Rune to Delucia as it is a good spot for Mining, LJing, Geting Meat, Bank and Stable.

I walked the Beetle down the Mountains there stopping for about how long it would take me to Mine a spot and it was dropping 12 Ore, which is as far as I remember right for that zone. It didn't seem to hit all the places I thought there should be ore but we did leave a trail .....

For what it is worth, it eats Meat. I was able to Heal it with Greater Heal.

I think the base damage was 18 - 20.

D

Drawde2

Can they eat ore or ingots? And do their stats/resists/damage types change depending on their color (which ore they last ate), or get different abilities?

N

Nenime

Ok, I went and tamed one.

First off, ...
Oh my. rolleyes: I was almost sure that you would write what you did, EnigmaMaitreya.

Anyway, it's perfectly fine with me that you had considerable less difficulties taming one. It shows that you are a much better Tamer than I am. I never claimed to know everything (or should I say: anything) about this brandnew pet. I did not claim either that this is the perfect or only way to tame one. What I did is to show a comparable safe and easy way to get one. The strategy is similar to taming a Fire Beetle except the fact that you can't mount and recall out. My tamed Iron Beetles all died on their way out. It's simply safer to let it be hostile till you're near the exit.
The thing about the spawn: It's a Beta and the spawn rate fluctuates a lot. (In the southeast of the Abyss there's a spot where I had a hen party with 2 Skeletal Liches, 1 Skeletal Dragon and 1 Skeletal Mage. Next time there was no spawn at all.) Oh, and sorry for playing with the (official !) Enhanced Client. I really should have known better. ;)

But, of couse, I honestly thank you for the adjustment. Readers will benefit from it. :)

N

Nenime

Can they eat ore or ingots? And do their stats/resists/damage types change depending on their color (which ore they last ate), or get different abilities?
Very good questions! I'm curious about that too.

(In regard to feeding ore: I tried several times but had no success. But this could be due to the SA invis bug [see above].)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Shrug* as I said I feed it meat, walked it through the Insta Pet Gate and feed it meat again and it bonded.

I doped ore on it and the message was there is no container .....

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nenime, did you try honor taming it to avoid the interference from excess spawn?

N

Nenime

No, not in this case. You're right, it would help to get it tamed faster. But with a little patience you can manage to tame one fast enough even with spawn around. You have to beat it into submission before taming anyway. The problem is the beetle respawn and the incomming spiders which immediately attack your pet and prevent you from escaping. As I said, when I tamed in the lair, it died pretty soon. For me and my beetle, it was too much. But EnigmaMaitreya showed that it's actually possible.
But if your question is understood to honor self after taming and just before escaping, unfortunately this won't help much too because it would protect you but not the beetle (as it is not ridable).

To lure it away by attacking and tame it in a quiet area might be lame but at least it works pretty well. :)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To lure it away by attacking and tame it in a quiet area might be lame but at least it works pretty well. :)
There is nothing lame about that process. It is always good to have choices on how to do something. After all we are all different and some things work better for me than for you because of our differences. That is a good thing. :)