• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Questions about the new pet revamp and how it works

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
  1. Initial stats and how they affect training - will a 4.2 pet end up better than a 2.4 after complete training, or does it work similar to imbuing where existing stats are calculated into the total amount of points available to allocate?
  2. What spells are used from each of the non-magery schools that you can now add to pets? And they're replacements for magery, correct? Will spellweaving pets use gift of renewal and gift of life on their own, will word of death work similar to how it does for players with a max focus? Chivalry use enemy of one and consecrate weapon and such?
  3. Those who have tested it somewhat extensively, what have you found to be effective so far?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  1. Initial stats and how they affect training - will a 4.2 pet end up better than a 2.4 after complete training, or does it work similar to imbuing where existing stats are calculated into the total amount of points available to allocate?
  2. What spells are used from each of the non-magery schools that you can now add to pets? And they're replacements for magery, correct? Will spellweaving pets use gift of renewal and gift of life on their own, will word of death work similar to how it does for players with a max focus? Chivalry use enemy of one and consecrate weapon and such?
  3. Those who have tested it somewhat extensively, what have you found to be effective so far?
1) It's similar to imbuing. Higher resist requires less points to reach max, but they cap at 80. Also, some pets can't increase resists at all - my Rune Beetle wasn't able to increase its Energy Resist, but that could have been a point allocation issue (I don't remember how many points I had available.)
2) Yes, they replace Magery. Don't know what spells are used, because I haven't replaced Magery on any pets.
3) All I've done so far are resist and HP bumps (White Wyrm/Dragon), with my Nightmare (need to train it to 5 slots) & Rune Beetle getting a base damage bump as well. I also gave my Rune Beetle max Mana Regen.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will ninjitsu use dog form and mirror image?
Will bushido use confidence and evasion?
Will necromancy use wraith form and vampire form and wither?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I still need to find pets with good starting HP, stats and resists then?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will ninjitsu use dog form and mirror image?
Will bushido use confidence and evasion?
Will necromancy use wraith form and vampire form and wither?
Necromancy pets can not use forms, but they do use Wither. However, that could be exclusive to the Shadow Wyrm...although I doubt that's actually the case. I don't have any other pets that can use Necromancy spells at the moment, but I'd guess all of them have the ability to use Wither, Omen, Poison Strike, etc.

Turbo

Adventurer
There are definately a lot of questions about these new abilities and some will be real hard to test without devs coming out and explaining them. I have tested chiv and it appears to cast everything. It better not cast sacred journey and leave me behind :) I would like to figure out if the karma for the spell effects is based on that pet type's wild karma level or the tamer's current karma.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I still need to find pets with good starting HP, stats and resists then?
The higher the stats when tamed still the better pet, but it's not as important as it used to be. Mainly want to keep an eye out for anything with str/resists that go over the training cap, and get those stats as high as possible. Of course it really only pertains to higher up stuff, as one slot pets stats are so low it doesnt even matter.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Also you cannot reduce resists so might not want to tame one that has very high poison resist for instance, as there is a max total resists pets can have and you start off with a pet with over 80 poison or cold resist, you wont be able to increase the (arguably) more important resists of phys/fire and energy up to 80.