• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question Regarding Looting Rights and new Doom drops

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just in Doom doing some Rotters on my bushido warrior. Another guy arrives, probably a sampire, and we are the only ones there. I join him fighting one of his rotters, not because he needs any help, but because I've always thought that each character who gets looting rights has a chance for the drop. He apparently did not like my assistance, because he told me to "f-off". When I explained my view on the looting rights, he said it doesn't work that way. Is it different for this Doom event, or am I mistaken in how the loot system works, or is he mistaken? I don't want to take someone's perceived spawn, but it would be nice to know that we are both benefiting from working together and just taking them down faster. Plus, when I work in a group, it would be nice to know whether we should all target different critters or doing the same one works just as well (if not better). Appreciate all the insights from the esteemed experts of Uhall.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is an explanation of the method of distribution, but the key part is quoted below:

The way the GRP system works is that each creature you kill awards a pool of points based on their fame. That pool is distributed among players on the creatures "top attacker" list (which accounts for damage received, damage dealt, and damage healed). As you kill creatures you accumulate points, and the more points you have, the closer the chance of you getting an Artifact of Doom approaches 1 in 1.
If I am interpreting this correctly, the points pool is being divided up among the players on the top attacker list, which is to say that if two people are fighting one monster, they aren't going to get as many points as they would if they were fighting the monster alone. In other words, it's probably not beneficial to fight a monster that someone else has already started fighting.

As for the question of the benefits of fighting with a group, hypothetically speaking if it were possible for two or three people to kill monsters fast enough to offset the point reduction that each of them would be getting for fighting alongside each other, then it might very well be beneficial, however without knowing the exact numbers involved it's hard to say.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is an explanation of the method of distribution, but the key part is quoted below:
If I am interpreting this correctly, the points pool is being divided up among the players on the top attacker list, which is to say that if two people are fighting one monster, they aren't going to get as many points as they would if they were fighting the monster alone.
The distribution of points is independent of how many people are on that list. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc etc...positions in the list are always going to get the same % of points awarded from the total available. For example if I'm in the first position I'm going to get say, 15%. If there are two people on the list, and I'm in the first position I'm going to get 15%, and the next person is going to get 12%. The available pool is also not being subtracted from when those points are awarded.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, I think that makes sense, so in that case it is actually far more beneficial for groups to attack monsters if they can target them faster than a single player would be able to otherwise. Thank you for the clarification.

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The distribution of points is independent of how many people are on that list. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc etc...positions in the list are always going to get the same % of points awarded from the total available. For example if I'm in the first position I'm going to get say, 15%. If there are two people on the list, and I'm in the first position I'm going to get 15%, and the next person is going to get 12%. The available pool is also not being subtracted from when those points are awarded.
Appreciate the info. So, in my scenario, if I joined in then he will get the same points for 1st position unless I somehow overtake his damage lead and take 1st position, which means he drops to 2nd. And under Kyronix example, the 2nd spot gets 3% less. But in the grand scheme of things, it seems it is better for the two of us to get a combined 27% for each kill (15% +12%) than for each of us to get 15% from half the kills. At least it seems that way. Even if one of the two warriors consistently got 1st position and the 15% each time, the 2nd person would benefit from getting 12% from twice the monsters.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Appreciate the info. So, in my scenario, if I joined in then he will get the same points for 1st position unless I somehow overtake his damage lead and take 1st position, which means he drops to 2nd. And under Kyronix example, the 2nd spot gets 3% less. But in the grand scheme of things, it seems it is better for the two of us to get a combined 27% for each kill (15% +12%) than for each of us to get 15% from half the kills. At least it seems that way. Even if one of the two warriors consistently got 1st position and the 15% each time, the 2nd person would benefit from getting 12% from twice the monsters.
As a disclaimer, I just picked those #s at random as an example. It is in your best interest to kill stuff together, the quicker a creature dies, the faster your point pool grows, and the more rolls you get based on that pool of points.

It also is more fun to hunt together, because this way, afterwards when you are at the tavern enjoying some ale you can get into an argument over how big that Gibberling was and have a good ole fashioned tavern brawl!

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The part in RED above confuses me somewhat... If there ins't a group & only 1 character kills the monster does he get 100% of the points available just to himself?

Also...

"The distribution of points is independent of how many people are on that list"... I get that people on the top attackers list basically get the same points when the critter is killed but you listed that as 15% and less.... What if there ins't a list? Does the person who kills the critter then get 100%?

Assuming I'm only interested is MAX efficiency for just my character is a group still ideal? I understand that if your partying up etc.. or helping guildmates that sharing kills provides better drops for all involved but not clear about being solo.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a disclaimer, I just picked those #s at random as an example. It is in your best interest to kill stuff together, the quicker a creature dies, the faster your point pool grows, and the more rolls you get based on that pool of points.

It also is more fun to hunt together, because this way, afterwards when you are at the tavern enjoying some ale you can get into an argument over how big that Gibberling was and have a good ole fashioned tavern brawl!
Glad I wasn't drinking ale myself. I might have been billing you for a keyboard, or maybe a monitor. lol

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The part in RED above confuses me somewhat... If there ins't a group & only 1 character kills the monster does he get 100% of the points available just to himself?

Also...

"The distribution of points is independent of how many people are on that list"... I get that people on the top attackers list basically get the same points when the critter is killed but you listed that as 15% and less.... What if there ins't a list? Does the person who kills the critter then get 100%?

Assuming I'm only interested is MAX efficiency for just my character is a group still ideal? I understand that if your partying up etc.. or helping guildmates that sharing kills provides better drops for all involved but not clear about being solo.
Every creature has a top attacker list when it dies, even if that list is just you. No matter how many people are on the list, the positions on the list are always going to award the same % they are going to award for each position.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As he stated : top attacker 15% - 2nd 12% - 3rd 10% and so on so if you are the only one hitting it

Wait for it

Wait

15% Tada that is it, so more people more of the points will be dolled out :)

Is that simple enough for ya

Now just rotate who get attacked to balance out #1 , 2 , 3 , 4

:)

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.... It also is more fun to hunt together, because this way, afterwards when you are at the tavern enjoying some ale you can get into an argument over how big that Gibberling was and have a good ole fashioned tavern brawl!
Now see, this is why Kronix is my fav dev....;)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
u will always get people moaning your in there spot.... theve been there hours cant us just go somewere else????? wtf.... oh and on top of that u are being ... disrespectfull nto quote a teenagers coin.... or rude.. to a elder person... etc etc ..Hell were all down there trying to do the same thing...in a small space ...get used to sharing.... and bloody grow up!"

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, to sum it up, killing the Doom MoBs is better with 2+players attacking the same monster (it goes down faster, obviously...) regardless whether the 2+ players are or not partied together ?

That is, hunting together regardless whether partied or not will not affect their "individual" chances at a Doom drop (but actually make their individual chances increase, respectively, as they will be able to kill more monsters in the same amount of hunting time and thus increase their overall chances at Doom drops per player) ?

Did I get it right ? The new Doom hunting is a group thing ?

If so, the slow drop rates for 1 player attacking 1 monster make a whole world of sense to me ! The correct way to get this hunting done is not solo, but as many players as possible!

Multiply the attackers, reduce killing time and thus increase the drop chances for all is the way to get this hunting done, correctly !!

Cool, great job Devs !!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He was mad because even if you did just 10 percent of the total damage and got looting rights, you would still get 50 percent of the points.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, to sum it up, killing the Doom MoBs is better with 2+players attacking the same monster (it goes down faster, obviously...) regardless whether the 2+ players are or not partied together ?

That is, hunting together regardless whether partied or not will not affect their "individual" chances at a Doom drop (but actually make their individual chances increase, respectively, as they will be able to kill more monsters in the same amount of hunting time and thus increase their overall chances at Doom drops per player) ?

Did I get it right ? The new Doom hunitng is a group thing ?
it depends on your characters. for example, i would not want 2 low damage tamers on the same mob as my high damage sampire. Luck is also a factor. i wouldnt want low luck players attacking the same mob even if they did equal damage as me if i have a high luck suit.

thats an ideal situation, in doom during this season you cant really get mad at people attacking "your spawn" because its everyones spawn and its expected that you wont be the only one there.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He was mad because even if you did just 10 percent of the total damage and got looting rights, you would still get 50 percent of the points.
This isn't how it works. Nobody can take points that you would get from your position on the list, and being the only person on the list doesn't give you points for other persons on the list.

Here are some examples...

A Ghoul is worth 100 points.
Bob, Joe, and Bill all attack and kill the ghoul and based on their damage dealt to the ghoul, the damage they received from the ghoul, and the damage they healed on each other that was caused by the ghoul the "top attacker" list wound up like this,

Joe - gets 15 points
Bill - gets 13 points
Bob - gets 11 points

Now let's assume that for the next ghoul Bill went to make a sandwich and Joe and Bob are the only ones left. Their top attacker and point distribution would look like this,

Bob - 15 points
Joe - 13 points

Finally, Joe has to go to bed because he has to be somewhere in the morning and Bill is still making his sandwich (it's a grilled cheese, which takes some time, and you have to watch it because if you don't, it'll burn). When Bob kills the next ghoul the top attacker list and point distribution looks like this,

Bob - 15 points

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i think he's talking about pickles right?
skip the grilling and just go straight to pickles, right?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
and special K, thanks for the clarification!
it is muchly appreciated!

thats right, i just called Kyronix Special K!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This isn't how it works. Nobody can take points that you would get from your position on the list, and being the only person on the list doesn't give you points for other persons on the list.

Here are some examples...

A Ghoul is worth 100 points.
Bob, Joe, and Bill all attack and kill the ghoul and based on their damage dealt to the ghoul, the damage they received from the ghoul, and the damage they healed on each other that was caused by the ghoul the "top attacker" list wound up like this,

Joe - gets 15 points
Bill - gets 13 points
Bob - gets 11 points

Now let's assume that for the next ghoul Bill went to make a sandwich and Joe and Bob are the only ones left. Their top attacker and point distribution would look like this,

Bob - 15 points
Joe - 13 points

Finally, Joe has to go to bed because he has to be somewhere in the morning and Bill is still making his sandwich (it's a grilled cheese, which takes some time, and you have to watch it because if you don't, it'll burn). When Bob kills the next ghoul the top attacker list and point distribution looks like this,

Bob - 15 points
so what your saying is, if im playing 5 characters, killing one rotting corspe with all them at the same time, each of those characters gets just as many points as if i had killed the rotting corpse with a single character.

Last edited:

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So if I'm eating grilled cheese in Doom with Grizelda the Hag and throw her into the Lake, if she floats she's a witch?

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so what your saying is, if im playing 5 characters, killing one rotting corspe with all them at the same time, its the same as if i was playing just one character?
I might be misinterpreting your question, but it wouldn't be the same, because you would have 5 characters each earning points and each having a chance at a drop. You the player would increase your chances at a drop by having 5 characters there earning points instead of 1.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I might be misinterpreting your question, but it wouldn't be the same, because you would have 5 characters each earning points and each having a chance at a drop. You the player would increase your chances at a drop by having 5 characters there earning points instead of 1.
i reworded it a bit. sounds like this system invites multi-boxing.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
sounds to me like the people doing less damage are getting less points

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so what your saying is, if im playing 5 characters, killing one rotting corspe with all them at the same time, each of those characters gets just as many points as if i had killed the rotting corpse with a single character.
No two people will ever receive the same amount of points because two people cannot occupy the same spot on the top attacker list.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No two people will ever receive the same amount of points because two people cannot occupy the same spot on the top attacker list.
Over time, though, presuming true randomness, two characters with identical skills and equipment should still get approximately the same number of points. One will get 15 points and another 13, but they should be trading off and on. So with it being the case that one character can only get so much, and one might as well share, it's a big benefit to the multiboxers.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty sure that multiboxers will always benefit from nearly every aspect of the game by being able to manage multiple clients.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
(it's a grilled cheese, which takes some time, and you have to watch it because if you don't, it'll burn).

Now I want a grilled cheese sandwich!

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
so what your saying is not to make a grilled cheese... and to opt for a premade sandwich... or a bag of chips?
Wait, I'm confused. Why doesn't Bill have his laptop in the kitchen like everyone else?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that what matters most is that, in a limited time Event as this one is, players do not need to be concerned about spawn "being mine".....

Actually, the more players hitting the same one target the better it will be for all players as the target will be going down faster and so chances at a drop for all participants will be increased.

That is, there is no need to push other players away from the spawn but actually it would be better to welcome other players to hunt the same spawn....

Good job Devs !