• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question of the day: 8 June 2008

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly one year ago today the Catskills shard lost one of its finest members. It was on this date last year that Grog passed away due to heart complications.

Grog was a friend to anyone he met in game and is still very missed by those who knew him so well. He was always willing to stop what he was doing to just chat to another player about anything. he was also a player who was known for being willing to help anyone who needed it.

He was so beloved that the Devs were petitioned by the players to place his name in the NPC name pool, and they did. I know I smile when I see one named Grog. Its a fitting honor for a man who touched so many peoples lives.

Here on the Stratics boards he was known for his humorous posts, his love of alcoholic drinks and thick slabs of meat. he was a special man who looked like a huge bear in real life, but had the softest heart under that rough exterior. Here in his own words is the story of the Brothers Grog.

Long ago there came to Sosaria a man named Grog. He found the land to be fine and settled in a shard called Great Lakes. He soon had a son and as Grog is a perfectly fine name, he named his son Grog. When he had a second son he knew that Grog was still a fine name so that son also was named Grog. And so it went...
Today there are over 60 Brothers_Grog in the Grog Guild representing every known shard of the shattered Gem. The main quarters of the Grog guild is in the very fine shard of Catskills. There are also Cousins_Grog in every shard and they are Grog guilded as is a lone Second Cousin_Grog in the Catskills shard. There is a Sister named Cayenne and on the Cousin side there is a lone female with the name of Ruby (RL wife's name). It is rumored that Ruby is an elf.
The Brothers had built a home in Great Lakes but when a better home became available in Catskills (gift from friends) they gladly gave away their cabin and Crafter Grog moved the Grog treasures to Catskills to join that branch of the family. Recently the Cousins came along and they built a small building in Catskills as well. Very recently along came a Second Cousin who also built a structure.
The three buildings of Grog now comprise the Grog Village. If one starts at the pyramid in the Malas desert and travels east they will soon come upon the Grog home. The rest of the Village is the next two buildings directly to the North East.
The lower building is the living quarters for the Grogs. The middle building is the Grog Warehouse. And the upper building is the brand new Grog Guildhouse. All the building are open to friends and strangers alike. There may be found a small number of vendors that sell off quite cheaply whatever is brought home. As an example all treasure maps are sold at the flat rate of 100 gold pieces.
The Grog Guildhouse is rapidly becoming the showplace of the family. All locked down containers are available for all to look through. If one looks about the Guildhouse carefully there are a few small surprises to amuse and befuddle most visitors. The Guildhouse is a work in progress and will continue to grow.

I know I was honored to of known Grog in game and even once posted a funny story claiming he was the mastermind behind the blackrock traders. because every time I chatted to him in Old Haven one would appear beside him. I knew I could kid him about it and I was right, he claimed he laughed very hard reading my story and thanked me for making his day.
So here is everyone’s question of the day:

Did you know Grog? If so is there a story about him you would like to share here? Has Grog have a affect on you in game and if so how?

I do hope Grog is watching from above and smiling because those that knew and loved him still have him on their minds.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only knew Grog as one of the nicest and most helpful posters on the New Players forum. Sorry, no stories.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never met Grog.

But...

The first event that I took part in when I came back to UO was the Grog memorial festival. As I didn't know Grog, I took the time out to ask everyone I could about him. I was so impressed with his life experience as translated through people who were complete strangers at the time that I kept the hat and rune book that were given out at the start of the festival. The next time that I rearrange my house (I have a plan, now just need the time), that hat will be somewhere near center stage.

After all, the people who I play with need frequent reminders, "Have fun."

A

Aang

I had only met Grog a few weeks before his passing. However, we spent many nights in his tavern, chatting about all sorts of things. In fact, the night before his death I chatted with him for a few minutes at the tavern. That will forever be my defining "UO moment". Two days before his death, he gave me a book with a few notes in it on things he was looking for including a few comments on them (I told him I'd keep an eye out while I was shopping). That book is now one of my most treasured UO items.

I can truly say that Grog has kept me in UO long after his passing for I am the owner of his old guildhouse for the time being. There are many memories in that old house and many items that constantly bring a smile to my face when I realize what they meant to Grog.

*raises a glass* Here's to you, friend.

T

The Dread Qu

In my time playing Ive met Grog on many occasions but he was always busy helping someone else.

If I remember right I saw him most in Old Haven back before the black rock mess.

I never really got to chat with him until about a week or two before he died.

He donated all kinds of things to GRI when we where running our new player aid program.

haha I remember Pitr bugging him lots to join our guild but he was always happy being Grog

For those of you who never got to meet Grog he always had that funny green hat on :p

Its been a hard year without him, but I feel that we are changing Catskills by following Grogs example.

Stay out of trouble and Have Fun :thumbup1:

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
****Sets out several cases of dark beer and assorted fine red meats, and places a green floppy hat in the middle of the spread****

I often would rp with him in the forums, as many of you may remember the cyber-morning breakfast.

In game I once ran up to him and told him to stand still. When I returnend I handed him a bottle of ale and I made mention to him that on the forums that I owed him a beer. He chuckled a bit. I don't think I ever saw him not wearing a green floppy hat.

I don't think you can play on Catskills long without hearing of the late Grog. I can remember even attending the cyber-memorial for him and seeing so, so many people there. And I can remember SunnySideUp and her son visiting in RL.

Grog will always be remembered in Catskills.

****Tips back a bottle of beer and eats a large slab of red meat in memory of Grog "Heres to you old friend, heres to you".****

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yes, I met Grog in game. Spent a good bit of time with him back during the height of the Ophidian invasion. One day I think he and I were the only ones in Papua. Actually, I guess I should correct that. I played with Cheyenne, the sister, tamer Grog. We died a lot that day but laughed just as much.

He is definitely still missed and remembered with fond smiles. Grog was truly one of the good ones.

B

BartofCats

I remember Grog for who he was. A kind hearted individual who went out of his way no matter what he was doing, to help out or stop and talk or answer a question I may have had. Sadly a year ago my heart sank when I heard the news of a great person whom the entire shard has lost.

I honestly and truely believe that there is not a single vet of 1 year or more that does not know of whom this "Grog" is.

Alas my friend, you have and will continue to be missed. The candles have been lit... and now a moment of silence for a truely missed one of a kind friend to the entire shard.

D

Dixie

I was not blessed to meet Grog in game, but I did learn so much about him after his sad passing. I remember the huge festival that was named in his honor, and in memory of his life and the profound effect that he had on others, I founded a guild called The Friends of Grog, and our goal is to spread his cheer to others---mainly new players. We give them freebies to help jumpstart their UO life and treat them the way the real UO community treats each other. We try and build community, all in memory of Grog and of his remarkable attitude and personality.

Just remember Grog's First rule...Have fun!

P

ParadoxUO

R.I.P. Grog.
You are missed.

My story with Grog...

GRI was spread thin and with no goals... so I decided to change it.
I talked to many players looking for guidance and their perspective...
I was lucky enough to find Grog... first here on the boards, then ingame.
He made me realize that Catskills has a unique setup... much warmer than most shards.
And we improved it... making it not only cozy... but a real Home for all UO players.

My thanks for the tap in the back... both here and in game...

And yes... lets "have fun!"

D

Des

I actually met Grog as I was quitting UO. He spent a lot of time at my house in game as I sorted through stuff and put it on vendors to sell. He was a kind person and will always be remembered by family and friends.

woody

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my fondest memory was of his great kindness . for instance i always take a extended 2-3 week vacation each year . well this year grog and i were sort of defending againt the orphine invasion and i said got to log we leave at 6am tomorrow have fun and do not tell me about all the cool new toys we get when i come back as i am sure invasion will be over before i get back. I got back and i was right rations orders journals were no longer spawning. so i missed them. well Grog took me to his house and presented me with a box or stuff he had collected for me 3 of each item that had spawned . they are today along with the valantine cards he signed for me and the items that were acquired by begging by him my treasured possessions. Also i will not forget how touched he felt when someone after his son died made a char and gave him a candle of love.