• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question for pvpers

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been playing around with outside the box ideas for builds and I have to wonder why no one uses bushido to have 5 lesser hiryus as pets in pvp. Being level 1 there are caps on some aspects of damage done (like with ai)
A player would have to avoid 5 pets that are doing damage, dismounting and dropping your physical resistance rapidly. Of course I've never pvped so I'm guessing there is something I'm missing.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I think trained 2 slot dog/ferret/gorilla (or vollem which is even tougher) will help you way better than not trained lesser that will die fast.

I also was trying to understand what developers wanted us to do with Lesser controlled by bushido skill , but failed :)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think trained 2 slot dog/ferret/gorilla (or vollem which is even tougher) will help you way better than not trained lesser that will die fast.

I also was trying to understand what developers wanted us to do with Lesser controlled by bushido skill , but failed :)
With tamed 2 you need to add 200 points of skill. If your template already runs bushido you get free damage and debuffs

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And you're able to control them all? All kill all follow etc?
Yes but Mervyn will kill them quickly. The ones that hang around at least. The others will be 3 screens away trying to kill something on a hill.

And yes pet to player damage is capped.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes but Mervyn will kill them quickly. The ones that hang around at least. The others will be 3 screens away trying to kill something on a hill.

And yes pet to player damage is capped.
as usual, you're wrong. The pets will follow whoever you target...assuming they don't die first. As far as pet damage being capped in pvp, that only extends to Armor Ignore (35); other sources of damage are still based on your resist.

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
as usual, you're wrong. The pets will follow whoever you target...assuming they don't die first. As far as pet damage being capped in pvp, that only extends to Armor Ignore (35); other sources of damage are still based on your resist.
You have some pretty unfounded faith in pet AI lol I can leave a pet on some steps or behind a stalagmite (stalagtite? always mix em up) faster than you can say boo

gwen

Slightly Crazed
With tamed 2 you need to add 200 points of skill. If your template already runs bushido you get free damage and debuffs
Dog /gorilla/ferret have -21 taming requirement . If trained to 2-slot and after assigning resists/regens/specials still below 30 taming -anyone can control it with 0 (zero) taming.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
They would actually be more of a problem to you than a help. I’m assuming you’re going to have these as trained (I mean just skill) and bonded.
so I’m assuming you won’t want to release them. So a pvper will kill them all in one hit with frenzied whirlwind, then you’ll be stuck on foot with no ability to mount.
maybe you could ride a VvV mount and use 4 hiryus but they are really not going to do anything other than supply a pvper with a source of mana to leech and will be a headache to get them ressed. They’re not magical so won’t do much at all. And they will never catch a player speed wise.

Summoning pixies with spellweaving would be more effective as they actually cast spells and you don’t have to res them and can keep recasting them.

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Dog /gorilla/ferret have -21 taming requirement . If trained to 2-slot and after assigning resists/regens/specials still below 30 taming -anyone can control it with 0 (zero) taming.
Yeah, and base damage of like 5-11 GTFOH

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Yeah, and base damage of like 5-11 GTFOH
People with working brain will find that poison, aura of nausea, disarm, dismount, battle defense , etc... don't depend on base damage at all.
But ones like you really better GTFOH.

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
People with working brain will find that poison, aura of nausea, disarm, dismount, battle defense , etc... don't depend on base damage at all.
But ones like you really better GTFOH.
Dogs, gorillas, and ferrets dont get any of those specials. MAYBE poison. Any self-respecting PvP'er will G-cure your 2 slot piddlin mutts poison in about 30 nanoseconds.

Again, GTFOH

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Once upon a time you needed Bushido to ride them, but not to control them. This led to a guy I used to run with on LS, who did not have Chivalry, using one extensively and having great success with it. Not too long after the peak of his adventures, they changed it to needing Bushido to control them. I don't know if they've been additionally nerfed since then. (Neither the first nor the last time something was nerfed after he had victories PKs didn't think he was entitled to. Funny, that.)

I don't think you can control 5 of them without Taming, but I don't know that for sure as I have no Tamers and don't know the details about slots and the like.

But if you have a Bushido warrior you PvP with, try it, and maybe it'll work for you like it did for my friend.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't know if they've been additionally nerfed since then.
They haven't been nerfed, but they haven't been improved either, whereas chars now are a lot more powerful than they used to be. I have seen a bokuto mage take down Rikktor on his own. Before, a PvPer would have to call in a sampire to do this. I can't imagine 5 lesser hiryus doing anything, other than acting as a damage increase mule for your enemy if they whirlwind and get bonus damage to yourself from whirlwinding multiple targets. - And restocking their mana to 100% in the process. All PvPers have ways to deal with all eventualities, and they love to carry dragon slayers - not normally for hiryus but for bane dragons.

Last edited:

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most pvp needs fast moving pet/s (very high dex) to keep up w all the ‘illegal’ (only in quotes bc they’re not approved but obviously not enforced) speed programs use by almost all pvpers.

Multi-pets can & are (or were when I last pvped) used at very specific choke points but all must b linked to petballs & the user must really know what they’re doing. More often then not, multi pets end up running loose & dying fast.

Theory-craft w pack mentality pets looks great on paper but falls apart quickly in practice due to much of what has already been mentioned in thread.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They nerfed pets vs players damage because they didn't want to upset the pvp crowd even more, but didn't nerf player vs pets damage as they should have....

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This tactic only works in a choke area as a surprise. Ages back a player or two would try this in the star room and it would work for a bit. Today there isn't anyone running into a gate to escape thus the best trap spot isn't much of a choke. You also need something like fire-breathing because someone will push and the animals suck at chasing.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
They nerfed pets vs players damage because they didn't want to upset the pvp crowd even more, but didn't nerf player vs pets damage as they should have....
I don’t think it’s necessary to nerf pvp damage vs pets when you can add a lot of HP to most pets.

The biggest problem I remember was greater dragons when they first come out. One fireball and your were pretty much toast. Each doing like 70 dmg. It was dumb.

Same thing for the bane dragons. It was pretty much dismount all kill. So dumb.

Regardless when I pvp(Ed) I didn’t want to spend the whole time fighting a pet, running from them, or dieing from dismount all kill templates.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This tactic only works in a choke area as a surprise.
I’ve used multi pets w good success holding chokes at corners such as in deceit & hythloth. Narrow hallways & corners are your friend since spells are LoS. Players can see whats ahead but vexed when trying to pass. Using corners allows one to nullify spells & force advancing enemies into killzones. Thats why I said ‘very specific choke points’. ;)

Players need to be spot-on when controlling the pets however bc it can fall apart fast the second ur pet wanders from a relatively safe corner.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don’t think it’s necessary to nerf pvp damage vs pets when you can add a lot of HP to most pets.

The biggest problem I remember was greater dragons when they first come out. One fireball and your were pretty much toast. Each doing like 70 dmg. It was dumb.

Same thing for the bane dragons. It was pretty much dismount all kill. So dumb.

Regardless when I pvp(Ed) I didn’t want to spend the whole time fighting a pet, running from them, or dieing from dismount all kill templates.
idk. I've seen sampires (which is, admittedly, a sampire) do 100+ to my pets with Armor Ignore - that was a scrolled 5 slot Chiv/AI Nightmare with 120 Wrestle/at least GM Parry; even if I were casting spells myself, I couldn't keep up with how much they were healing. Pets can do 1/3 of that at their maximum.

Phreak

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This tactic only works in a choke area as a surprise. Ages back a player or two would try this in the star room and it would work for a bit. Today there isn't anyone running into a gate to escape thus the best trap spot isn't much of a choke. You also need something like fire-breathing because someone will push and the animals suck at chasing.
1681542840829.png

Oh there's still people getting trapped in the star room as of yesterday (not my screenshot but I did get a good chuckle)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
idk. I've seen sampires (which is, admittedly, a sampire) do 100+ to my pets with Armor Ignore - that was a scrolled 5 slot Chiv/AI Nightmare with 120 Wrestle/at least GM Parry; even if I were casting spells myself, I couldn't keep up with how much they were healing. Pets can do 1/3 of that at their maximum.
I mean sure but can’t you just paralyze most Samps? Rest is a cakewalk from there.

Maith Ceol

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Dogs, gorillas, and ferrets dont get any of those specials. MAYBE poison. Any self-respecting PvP'er will G-cure your 2 slot piddlin mutts poison in about 30 nanoseconds.

Again, GTFOH
My ferret has poisoning and searing wounds ...