• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about resizing a house

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do I have to consider before resizing a house?

• I know that I have to set access permissions on all containers again.
  • Will I have to rebuild the whole house?
  • Will I have to refurnish/redecorate the whole house?
  • How does resizing actually work, after you select the option from the house sign?
  • Will the friends list be cleared?
  • What happens with vendors and barkeeps in the house?

Thanks for helping!

C

CallMeIshmael

I'll try to answer to the best of my limited knowledge.

The first thing to consider when resizing is whether you have any other houses on the account. If you have grandfathered houses they will go condemned. If you have a condemned house (maybe you just placed a larger plot than you currently have and want to resize) it's likely you won't be able to replace on the resize lot if you haven't demo'd the house before resizing. Before resizing you should have only the house you plan to resize on your account.

Yes, you will have to redo all containers and rebuild from scratch. Resizing is actually a Demolish of your house, while placing a hold on the land where your footprint is. It is an actual demolish, and that's why other houses on the account can be a consideration, whether grandfathered or in demolition mode.

Yes, Since you're demolishing and placing a new house you will have to rebuild/redeco your new house.

Friends and Co-owners will be reset.

You cannot resize a house with rental vendors. Resizing a house is like a demolition, so your own vendors will be lost. Although normally you'd expect them to go into the house sign, since it's a demolition, it's like an IDOC... all items in the home will be dropped under the house sign and freely lootable. You must clear your home of all contents prior to your resize, including vendors and their contents.

Hopefully someone else will verify my input, but I believe it is accurate. Something to note, the resize option can bypass the normal 7-day waiting period for placing a home. You must wait one hour after placing to resize. When you resize you have one hour to place on your plot and you have only one placement per resize, so know what your maximum size is before resizing, or at least build big and work your way down. You can resize your plot every hour, however, so if you do not place exactly what you needed you can resize again an hour later.

The description of resizing when it came out in the publish stated it guaranteed placement by any character on the account for one hour. The gaurantee I take with a grain of salt. Once you resize your house IS demolished and gone. If you can place a new house on the plot within the hour you've succeeded. There are some things players can do to block placement (drop static objects, cast gates, kill pets) that could theoretically block placement for a time. To truly gaurantee the plot remains on the account I wish that after one hour, if nothing has been placed, that your original plot would auto-place there - or perhaps a box to check on the housing gump 'replace original plot', in case for whatever reason you were unable to place your new home, but that's just wishing.

Good Luck.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for this detailed answer!

I wonder why they called it "resizing" then. It's more like rebuilding. *shakes head*

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

I resized my house a while ago and I was totally panicing when I tried to place the new house.

If you are planning to resize your house in a hot spot be very careful.
The risk of people stopping you from placing again is very high.

And,the main thing is to make sure your game window is in the top left corner.
If you are playing 2D that is.Otherwise the cursor and where the house will go after placement is not accurate.

The offset is so big that you need to click maybe a few tiles from where you planning to place your house.And if there are other object in that place,like other house in my case,you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PLACE at all.

I hope I did make sense.

Best regards
The Scandinavian

T

The Home Guild

Hi there,

I resized my house a while ago and I was totally panicing when I tried to place the new house.

If you are planning to resize your house in a hot spot be very careful.
The risk of people stopping you from placing again is very high.

And,the main thing is to make sure your game window is in the top left corner.
If you are playing 2D that is.Otherwise the cursor and where the house will go after placement is not accurate.

The offset is so big that you need to click maybe a few tiles from where you planning to place your house.And if there are other object in that place,like other house in my case,you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PLACE at all.

I hope I did make sense.

Best regards
The Scandinavian
Well you have 1 hr to place and place again till you get the desired max size avaliable.Reguadless if someone is watching you.. the resize timer is 1 hr.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would suggest unbuilding your house down to a plain foundation, and then laying down goza mats in the shape of where you want your new house to sit (lay the gozas on top of your current foundation if it overlaps the new location), so you can eyeball it to see if there's anything blocking you.

for an 18x18 house you need to lay down a 17x17 goza square (which doesn't include the front steps). i'd suggest putting down an additional goza to mark the middle of the front steps becuase that is where you'll click to place your new foundation.

it also helps (depending on your situation and house location) to look at the same spot on other shards to make sure the size you want will fit. i had to look at 10 other shards before confirming that an 18x18 would fit where i wanted it to go (when i moved my house 3 spots to the right). and if you try to place a few times you get hit with the 1 hour wait between resizing which can be very stressful. it helps to go to test center and practice house placement while you wait (at least that's what kept me sane during that agonizing wait).

ps - and yes, they should call it rebuilding and not resizing. you have to remove everything and pack it somewhere, and then redo all your building and decorating once you've resized it. it's a lot of work and can be very scary if your resizing goes wrong and you have to wait an hour and you don't know if you've screwed yourself over totally and should have just left it how it was. i wish there was an option for "cancel the resizing and go back to original house".

C

CallMeIshmael

Noticed one more topic to cover, Hawkeye.

You asked, "How does resizing actually work, after you select the option from the house sign?"

You stand on your steps under your sign and say, "I wish to resize my house" There is no 'option' on the house sign gump. You'll get a box to confirm the resize. Click Yes and your house vanishes. You now have one hour in which only characters on your account can place a home over the footprint of your old house. You will need a House Placement Tool to actually place your new plot (and the sufficient funds in your bank to afford the plot).

Again, remember this is a demo of your current house, remove all items first.

Good luck

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
best thing to do is check the test center see if the spot where your house is open and see if the size plot you want fits saves alot of time moving all your stuff. Plus it gives you an idea exactly where to drop the plot in.