• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question About Magic Pet Healing

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So some times I can not get close to my pet to use vet - so I was thinking about
1) Adding magery and using greater heal
or
2) Using Spellweaving (im at 120 and can get a 6 focus)
or
3) Mysticism and focus
or
4) Chiv (I have max karma)

I find no info on how much each heals - any suggestions?
Thanks
Sir AJ

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So some times I can not get close to my pet to use vet - so I was thinking about
1) Adding magery and using greater heal
or
2) Using Spellweaving (im at 120 and can get a 6 focus)
or
3) Mysticism and focus
or
4) Chiv (I have max karma)

I find no info on how much each heals - any suggestions?
Thanks
Sir AJ
If you can fit it (which should be easy), Mysticism, IMO. 103.5 Taming/120 Lore gives you max control chance for a greater, and for Vet, you only need 110 with enhanced bandies. That's 334 skill points, Myst/Focus will be 574, and you only need enough Magery to recall (or, since you're already @ 120 weaving, use A LOT of recall scrolls/charges), leaving you free to put enough spellweaving on your temp to get guaranteed casts of Gift of Renewal and Arcane Empowerment.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mystic tamer - never tried it
1. What's the advantage over EI and inscription with high magery?
2. How do you keep the pet healed when you can't get close to the pet?

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Mystic iunno, should try later (very later). As for GoR, I think these giantic (6 focus) heals through any poison etc., auto-cure are a clear advantage. Lasts longer than its cd meaning your pet is always under the effect.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mystic tamer - never tried it
1. What's the advantage over EI and inscription with high magery?
2. How do you keep the pet healed when you can't get close to the pet?
1) Greater Heal is magery dependent, not Eval. Pretty sure scribe has no bearing on it either.
2) Cleansing Winds. However, it's a half second slower than a GHeal (1.25 for GHeal, 1.75 for Cleansing), which is why I also suggested Spellweaving to go with it. Gift of Renewal will heal for MUCH more over its duration with a 6 Focus.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I mean what's the advantage in general of mysticism and focus vs EI and inscription when it comes to damage, since a tamer can't use rising colossus - trying to visualize how the mystic tamer template would work?

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Problem with spellweaving is the cooldown on Gift of renewal.
And I agree that a lot of Myst is wasted and it takes two skills to do much.
That is why I was thinking of chiv with 4/6 and highest karma.
Someone said that karma was not as important now that skill determined the amount healed - anyone know a good reference about this change?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I also had not heard that chivalry healing depended only on skill, seems karma still a big factor on my characters - correct me if I'm wrong

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Magery, eval and scribe have little pvm viability these days except maybe EQ as for the same manacost there are other skill spells that do more damage there. However, magery buffs/debuffs deserve a note, as well as para spell. It is also a bit more pvp viable. Spellweaving has WoD as the ultimate lotsa hp monster killer with its direct damage, GoR as some uber-heals-cure (at 6 focus obviously) and some other nice things. There also is necro, that has little heals but has wither for champ spawns, evil omen that helps with bosses, helps poisoning pets, helps when you WoD, transforms help standing inside your pet, regain mana and hp, stealth around etc., you can raise dead that aid your pet in dealing damage. For mystic soothing winds sound great, spell trigger, healing stone, stone form to keep yourself alive and some nice damaging spells, however summons make mystic a bit weaker tamer (they're outclassed by a good trained pet), and therefore mysticism loses a little bit of it's potential for a tamer, who has an access to a better option.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Magery, eval and scribe have little pvm viability these days except maybe EQ as for the same manacost there are other skill spells that do more damage there.
Sorry but that's not true in the slightest. Magery can output greater damage than any of the other spell schools, including a fully enhanced WOD. It also has more damage types than the other spell schools meaning greater viability in targeting the weakest resist of the opponent.

To the OP, you'd want Magery 100%... it has the better range/cast time/least skill points needed, you need it anyway for melee defense, you also get Arch Cure, Teleport, Invis, Mindblast, fields and a bunch of other useful stuff.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The opness of wod lies in the direct dmg that ignores armor. However, magery sure is more useful in different effects. I do not agree it can dish out more damage per manacost than the other schools (in pvm ofc). To deal more than ten points eval is needed except for mind blast, eq is capped at 100 dmg, higher circle spells can deal some damage if you match for the lowest resist but for the same cost other magic skills have spells that deal much more damage or in a more useful way - such as area effect of wither or direct damage of wod. For magic poisoning though magery is the only way to go.

Last edited:

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Problem with spellweaving is the cooldown on Gift of renewal.
And I agree that a lot of Myst is wasted and it takes two skills to do much.
That is why I was thinking of chiv with 4/6 and highest karma.
Someone said that karma was not as important now that skill determined the amount healed - anyone know a good reference about this change?

It is still karma UO giude says 39 hp at max karma for greater heal to heal 39 hp you need about 85 magery

But chivalry curing and remove curse is skill based

The biggest problem i see with chivalry is the range only 2 tiles

If you have a realy tight template and only have 50-60 skill points to spare or if you have problem with mortal then chivalry might be better option

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since I play on Siege I have skills stoned to change depending on what I am doing. I have been fighting monsters that do not allow me to stand close to my pet and heal with vet.
My vet template is

120 Lore
120 Taming
120 vet
120 resist
100 hiding
100 ninjitsu (for dog form to heal myself when needed and to get to places quickly using stealth)
60 stealth (with +15 on rings or bracelets)

I was actually trying to use the same template with out the 120 vet for times when I can not stay close to my pet to heal.

Val'lyn De'ana

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
What is keeping you away from your pet when you are trying to heal? You do have stealth and hiding. Maybe drop the resist and add magery. Then you can invis yourself and stealth in without worry of agro.

-Val'lyn

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is mainly for boss monsters that cast area effect spells (like the guy that arrives after a white net toss) where I can not use vet.

cdharr68

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I believe you play Siege like i do... im a fan of Spellweaving for a tamer... when you get high level focus 4-6 the gift of renewal is amazing... saves a ton of bandages and greater heals with magery are often enough coupled with gift of renewal. The problem is on Siege there are very few weavers that i know of... id love to add spellweaving to my template and would if i could find more weavers on Siege... do you know of any? maybe its my playing time and i miss them when they are on?

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most people have Spellweaving on a stone so to get 4 other people to come to Brit with 100-120 is very hard. So most just ask for people with 0 skill to show up (and they stone their own skill to 0) to get a zero skill level 6 focus and then add back on skill from their stone. It is fairly easy to get 4 people depending on the time of day.

I have thought about SW (I have 120 stoned) but isn't there a cool down time on gift of renewal?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is mainly for boss monsters that cast area effect spells (like the guy that arrives after a white net toss) where I can not use vet.
I find even with 20 mana regen and 120 med I still run out of mana healing my GD at range when fighting bosses like this. My normal tactic is to set the GD on the Scalis then when it drops to about 15-20% health I will call it back and bandage heal to 100% and "all kill" to the boss again. This way I can save my mana for offensive spells and tank it along with my pet. I will throw is a few greater heals but mainly heal with vet.