• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about finding port # for my UO

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this may be a tech support forum question but it always seems pretty quiet there.
Anyone know how I find the port numbers for my UO so that I can prioritize them on my new router for supposedly increased performance?
Would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance!

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the server side, I think it's 5000 or 5001 through 5005, but it's going to vary on your end. My PC right now is using a bunch of ports in the 49000-50000 range for UO and browsing.

As long as it's a good router with more bandwidth than your incoming Internet connection, I wouldn't worry about prioritizing ports. Or do you have concerns about others doing heavy streaming/downloading? Depending on your router's software (I flashed DD-WRT on mine), you can give priority to a port or port range. This presumes, though, that your PC didn't give ports in that range to bandwidth-sucking apps. Better yet, give priority to an IP or IP range. You could also give priority to your PC via its MAC address.

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the server side, I think it's 5000 or 5001 through 5005, but it's going to vary on your end. My PC right now is using a bunch of ports in the 49000-50000 range for UO and browsing.

As long as it's a good router with more bandwidth than your incoming Internet connection, I wouldn't worry about prioritizing ports. Or do you have concerns about others doing heavy streaming/downloading? Depending on your router's software (I flashed DD-WRT on mine), you can give priority to a port or port range. This presumes, though, that your PC didn't give ports in that range to bandwidth-sucking apps. Better yet, give priority to an IP or IP range. You could also give priority to your PC via its MAC address.
Thanks.
But where exactly do I go to find server side and my port numbers?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never tried this, but I'm guessing that maybe you could start up UO and then open a command prompt and try the netstat command with various parameters to get a listing of active connections (which includes their port number) and their PIDs. Then check PIDs in Task Manager until you find the one that corresponds to UO. However, I don't know if the port that's used by UO is always the same or just falls within a specific range.

Try looking up the netstat command and hopefully you'll find an article that gives more specific instructions for the version of Windows that is on your computer.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had originally included netstat and the Stratics list of server IPs, but I cut more than I pasted. I like netstat -n for a quick, purely numerical list. Then you can look at http://uo2.stratics.com/technical-information/server-ip-addresses to see which of your connections is a UO server.

But strangely enough, right now I'm connecting to Sonoma on an IP that isn't listed there:

TCP 23.37.22.31:55701 54.241.135.23:5002 ESTABLISHED

So it would be easiest if you can give priority to your PC based on its MAC address, depending on your router's software. If you can't, then you'll want to prioritize IPs by range. Depending on how your router's software deals with IP ranges, for East Coast shards you can prioritize 107.23.0.0-107.23.255.255 or 107.23.0.0/16.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would suggest that nobody in this thread mentions their specific ports. I am pretty clueless when it comes to networking and hacking but it seems like a good way to maybe get in trouble?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would suggest that nobody in this thread mentions their specific ports. I am pretty clueless when it comes to networking and hacking but it seems like a good way to maybe get in trouble?
Agreed... but there are programs that folk use they pretty much tell you your IP.... and all but yeah ports... wouldn't give out that info.

And OMG that makes 2 today!.... I think I must be cracking... or you are Goldberg. Actually a helpful post... what is this world coming to! That's it! The sky is falling!!!!!!! We are all going to die!!!!!!

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the command you are looking for is called netstat.
start an elevated command prompt
write something like
netstat -na
then look for the lines with the established word in them
u can also redirect the output from the command prompt, so u can examine the output vie notpad..Fx..
netstat -na >> output.txt
assuming u are in a directory where u can write, or else u have to cd to one, or give full path Fx C:\files\bla\bla\myfile.txt

Lord Obsidian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The outgoing port (your side) can be any number from 1025 up to 65535, because outgoing ports are handed out (and managed) by your IP stack in (usually) consecutive order for each new outgoing TCP connection. Also, your outgoing port will change each time you login / relog - it would be pretty much useless to work with these.
If your equipment is capabable of prioritizing traffic based on its destination / remote port, then the numbers you are looking for are 5001-5004 (TCP).

Now for the server IPs, the list at http://community.stratics.com/threads/shard-ip-addresses.249180/ has slightly more info (subnet), but also only contains the what I have called the "management IPs", as these are the ones being polled by the shard selection screen. You will actually never be connected to the "management IP" for gameplay, but to an IP within the same subnet.

If you would like to know specific gameplay IPs for the shard you are playing on, I can tell you them (the list for all shards is a bit long to post!), or you collect them yourself with "netstat -an". There are 2 "gameplay IPs" for each shard, with Atlantic being special (as usual...) with at least 3.

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Giving out a local port is no problem, since they're so dynamic, and any decent firewall should be blocking unsolicited incoming traffic anyway.

Since my PC is on a home LAN, it's in the 192.168.x.x range. I put a different IP in my post, deliberately chosen in case someone thought to be clever with me.