• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about Essence of Battle

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have seen on a vendor an imbued Essence of Battle ring showing Dex bonus 7, STR bonus 7, HCI 15%, DI 55%.

Now, ain't the CAP 50% ? So how can this ring have 55% ?

Not only that, checking at the imbuing calculator for jewellery http://www.knuckleheads.dk/tools/imbuing?itemtype=jewelry I come up with an imbuing weight of 542/500 with the above mods.

And on another vendors, I found another Essence of Battle ring showing
Dex bonus 7, STR bonus 7, HCI 15%, DCI 15%, DI 30% and checking at the above calculator brings up a total imbuing weight of 552/500.

So, my question is, how were these rings done ??

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its 55 DI cos its an imbued artifact part.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its 55 DI cos its an imbued artifact part.
I do not understand what that means....
CAP is 50% but because it is an artifact part it "nicely" allows for imbuing up to 55% ?
I do not get it....

Also, how can the imbuing weight exceed 500 for both of the rings I saw ?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I seem to notice some glitchy stuff in overcapped properties with respect to imbue weight calculations, or properties on items that don't normally have them.

Every time I've noticed this, it always works in my favor, so I don't complain.

For instance, the the true imbue cap for DI on a ring is ... 25%. So if the internal imbue weight calculation really takes all values >= 25 as 100%, then the ring with 7 7 15 55 is: 1.1*7/8 + 1.1*7/8 + 15/15 + 1 * 100 = 392.5. The other example of 7 7 15 15 30 using my theory is 492.5.

I have no proof to back this up, but I've noticed a strange imbue weight seemingly applied to armor reforged with HCI for instance.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have yet to understand how that ring was imbued to 55% DI and whether or not those 2 rings where imbued exeeding their 500 imbuing weight or not.

Any ideas ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think there were times when you could imbue artifacts.

You mean now it is no longer possible to imbue the craftable Essence of Battle ring ?

That is, one is stuck with the mods as they come after crafting it ?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have a few artifacts I imbued before they changed it like the daimyo helm.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a few artifacts I imbued before they changed it like the daimyo helm.

You mean the developers did not have them removed from the game or at least reverted into what they were prior to imbuing them ?

Now, that is surprising as it gives an advantage to some players who possess them over others who don't......

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now, that is surprising as it gives an advantage to some players who possess them over others who don't......
Sure does! I love my imbued essence of battle. Saves me having to spend out on crystal shards for each weapon as I can now just imbue 45 DI on them!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no, because you can buy and use an imbued daimyo helm

Only if those few players who possess them are willing to sell them and depending on how much gold they would ask for them and whether the buyer can even afford buying them.............

Too many "ifs" and "maybes" to make it fairplay in the game.....

And Developers should ALWAYS control the level of fairplay and balancing in their game.....

I repeat that, it is surprising to me that the Developers did not either delete the imbued artifacts or at least reverted them to their status of NOT being imbued as it gives an advantage to some players who possess them over others who don't......

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a nice old Djinni's ring that I imbued to 1 int, 9 HCI, 1 sdi and 2/3 casting. No idea what I would ever do with it but I have it on my floor as a reminder of days gone by.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Only if those few players who possess them are willing to sell them and depending on how much gold they would ask for them and whether the buyer can even afford buying them.............

Too many "ifs" and "maybes" to make it fairplay in the game.....

And Developers should ALWAYS control the level of fairplay and balancing in their game.....

I repeat that, it is surprising to me that the Developers did not either delete the imbued artifacts or at least reverted them to their status of NOT being imbued as it gives an advantage to some players who possess them over others who don't......
They surely will if you offer enough gold.
As to amount of gold it always differs. And it would be pretty stupid to give to every new playe a high end suit "to make it fair".
Imagine. You have spent all your gold to buy a very cool high-end artifact and on the next day Developers deleted this item because now you can't get this artifact as a loot from monsters. Does it sound good for you?

Some players earn/possess more gold than others. It's fair.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They surely will if you offer enough gold.
As to amount of gold it always differs. And it would be pretty stupid to give to every new playe a high end suit "to make it fair".
Imagine. You have spent all your gold to buy a very cool high-end artifact and on the next day Developers deleted this item because now you can't get this artifact as a loot from monsters. Does it sound good for you?

Some players earn/possess more gold than others. It's fair.
As long as any and all players maintain the same equal possibility at getting that item as a craftable or as a drop, not having to purchase it at exorbitant prices, then it is fair....

When anything is held by only a few, who hold a monopoly of it, then things start getting out of whack and unfair because this monopoly, allows those few to ask whatever they want for those items since they only have them, noone else can any longer make or get them, and this creates a distortion into the economy with low offer but high demand.

That is why in real life there is, in most economies, a rather powerfull authority called anti-trust...... Even the most capitalist country in the world, the USA, has an anti-trust authority which, actually, has great power to investigate and break monopolies....

It exists for very, but very good reasons and, IMHO, the same logic should apply to UO's economy. No players should hold a monopoly of any items however this monopoly can be achieved or maintained., I think. It is not good for the game, IMHO.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Then do you propose that less intelligent PLAYERS be banned, on account of the less intelligent players being demonstrably unable to understand the more complex ingame systems, and the intracacies of suit building, without the more intelligent to explain it to them/do it for them?

I have a 16 y/o account. I can get 16 year rewards. The likelihood that someone starting a brand new account today will ever have that account 16 years from now is, IMHO, quite remote. Does that mean I should not be allowed to ride my ethy tiger?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If I recall correctly, you can still imbue and Essence of Battle. The cap for the ring is 500 imbuing points. So if you are able to imbue 25 DI on top of the 30 DI then you have a 55 DI piece. This is acceptable for this piece and the single DI slot takes up 220 imbuing weight. So you could create the following:

Imbued Essence of Battle
55 DI (220 weight)
15 HCI (130 weight)
5 STR (68 weight)
5 DEX (68 weight)

This is a total imbuing intensity of 487.

My favorite imbued Essence of Battle is this:
30 DI (120 weight)
15 HCI (130 weight)
15 DCI (110 weight)
5 STR (68 weight)
5 DEX (68 weight)

The total imbuing intensity is 497.

There was a brief time in game when you could imbue an Essence of Battle with 55 DI and the extra 30 did not count in the intensity. This was for a very brief period after imbuing came out and then the bug was fixed in a publish.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My favorite imbued Essence of Battle is this:
30 DI (120 weight)
15 HCI (130 weight)
15 DCI (110 weight)
5 STR (68 weight)
5 DEX (68 weight)

The total imbuing intensity is 497.
Pretty similar to the one I use on my sampire:

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
There are so many thing over the years that I missed out on due to real life in this game, And so many thing that I have that others did not get. For example the alacrity book I was away and did not get one! I don't hold it against those people for having them and me not and that is just a small thing.

Attachments

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then do you propose that less intelligent PLAYERS be banned, on account of the less intelligent players being demonstrably unable to understand the more complex ingame systems, and the intracacies of suit building, without the more intelligent to explain it to them/do it for them?
This is a game where fighting is based upon properties now. It started skills based, but at some point (some say unfortunately...) it became item based and since then, the outcome of fights depends largely on whatever properties one might be using.

This game also has an important part of it in PvP. Now, if some players can make use of unique equipment which others cannot, it goes without saying that they will be able to win most fights while those players who did not not have access to these fighting items when it was possible (whatever the reasons) and who cannot get them any longer because their availability has been discontinued, will be at a gross disadvantage in fights and this, IMHO, will hurt the game since who likes most always losing fights ?
Even those who most always win fights, thanking to their exclusive (and no longer obtainable) items, migh eventually loose interest in playing a game where there is for them lack of challenge.

So, allowing Monopolies of special items in a multiplayer online game is, to my opinion, a loss-loss situation and clearly one that should be addressed by Developers not to allow these monopolies to ever exist.

I have a 16 y/o account. I can get 16 year rewards. The likelihood that someone starting a brand new account today will ever have that account 16 years from now is, IMHO, quite remote. Does that mean I should not be allowed to ride my ethy tiger?
Entirely another story, IMHO. Besides the fact that eventually all players, by simply maintaining their accounts as active will come of age to claim whatever might be available (so are not cut out from ever obtaining any item within the Veteran Rewards pool, they just need to wait the required time...), items within the Veteran Rewards are totally meaningless in fighting and whether a player has them or not makes no difference in winning fights, be them PvM or PvP. They may enhance game play in one way or another making storage more rational and what not, but provide no help whatsoever in PvP or PvM.[/quote][/QUOTE]

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
As long as any and all players maintain the same equal possibility at getting that item as a craftable or as a drop, not having to purchase it at exorbitant prices, then it is fair....
When anything is held by only a few, who hold a monopoly of it, then things start getting out of whack and unfair because this monopoly, allows those few to ask whatever they want for those items since they only have them, noone else can any longer make or get them, and this creates a distortion into the economy with low offer but high demand.
That is why in real life there is, in most economies, a rather powerfull authority called anti-trust...... Even the most capitalist country in the world, the USA, has an anti-trust authority which, actually, has great power to investigate and break monopolies....
It exists for very, but very good reasons and, IMHO, the same logic should apply to UO's economy. No players should hold a monopoly of any items however this monopoly can be achieved or maintained., I think. It is not good for the game, IMHO.
I think you should read your economy books once more.

1. In general monopoly doesn't mean exorbitant prices.
I have just painted a picture. It the only picture painted by me in the whole world. I have a monopoly for it. But noone wanna pay even 1 dollar for it.
You can buy an imbued Daiymo helm for 8m. In spite of monopoly it is difficult to sell it.

2. Equal probability doesn't mean equal possibility.
An old reach player have the same probability to farm a high-end PvP ring as me. But this probability is close to zero. But a reach player can pay few billions to a luckier (one per million) who found the ring. So he/she can get such ring without problems. And it's practically unreal for me to get such ring.
In D3 was the similar situation. Players who started to play from the first day farmed good items at Inferno difficulty (pretty common in Inferno and very rare in Hell), sold them per 10m (to beginners who weren't strong enough to farm Inferno) and bought extremely rare high-end items per 100m (not much players were able to pay 100m) = 1 to 10 ratio with pretty common items. Players who started to play two months later farmed very rare very-good items at Inferno, sold them per 1m (most of player already were able to farm Inferno) and bought high-end items per 500m = 1 to 500 ratio with very rate items.

3. If the developers deleted items than players have stopped playing.
It would be pretty fair PvP except you were the only player on the shard. Very few people like the situation when he/she spend few month to farm enough gold to buy an item just to see it disappear few days later.

4. There is a 14 or 15 years veteran reward that allow you to transfer character between shards.
Younger players must pay ~100m for two transfer tokens if they want to buy something on another shard.

1. (continued)
There are some artifacts (lt-sash, int boots, ...) that don't drop nowdays.
The developers are not so stupid to ruin PvP. All old artifacts that very suitable in PvP have replicas.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you should read your economy books once more.

1. In general monopoly doesn't mean exorbitant prices.
I have just painted a picture. It the only picture painted by me in the whole world. I have a monopoly for it. But noone wanna pay even 1 dollar for it.
You can buy an imbued Daiymo helm for 8m. In spite of monopoly it is difficult to sell it.
But there are monopolies which, if left untouched, may harm the economy of a society (and sometimes harm very much...), and that is why most countries do have a powerfull anti-trust agency, to control and take care of that in the interest of competition and of the overall economy of a country.

2. Equal probability doesn't mean equal possibility.
An old reach player have the same probability to farm a high-end PvP ring as me. But this probability is close to zero. But a reach player can pay few billions to a luckier (one per million) who found the ring. So he/she can get such ring without problems. And it's practically unreal for me to get such ring.
In D3 was the similar situation. Players who started to play from the first day farmed good items at Inferno difficulty (pretty common in Inferno and very rare in Hell), sold them per 10m (to beginners who weren't strong enough to farm Inferno) and bought extremely rare high-end items per 100m (not much players were able to pay 100m) = 1 to 10 ratio with pretty common items. Players who started to play two months later farmed very rare very-good items at Inferno, sold them per 1m (most of player already were able to farm Inferno) and bought high-end items per 500m = 1 to 500 ratio with very rate items.
Equal probability doesn't mean equal possibility because, unfortunately, wealth becomes a factor and thus, some players who can afford it, jump to the better items by purchasing them rather then hunting for them which requires more time. Yet, my problem was not much with items which still spawn, like slither for example, I do not have a problem in slither costing 80 millions UO gold because it still spawns and so, those players who cannot or do not want to spend this gold for one, can still go and hunt for it.
My problem was with imbued artifacts which only a few players have been able to while the vast majority have not been able to. This creates a divide in between players and a monopoly of imbued artifacts by a few players where many other players do not have any longer the possibility to do the same thing.
As in regards what artifacts may have been imbued, I would imagine that those that have been imbued have, for the most part, been the most usefull and with the most interesting properties on them, not the junk ones....

3. If the developers deleted items than players have stopped playing.
It would be pretty fair PvP except you were the only player on the shard. Very few people like the situation when he/she spend few month to farm enough gold to buy an item just to see it disappear few days later.
Well, there is always the possibility to simply "revert" an imbued artifact to just what the artifact was, prior to imbuing. Just remove the "imbuing"..... No deletion of items, just correct a wrong.

4. There is a 14 or 15 years veteran reward that allow you to transfer character between shards.
Younger players must pay ~100m for two transfer tokens if they want to buy something on another shard.
I see no difference as with your example of players paying gold, more gold that other players, to buy the items they want. Eventually all players, if their active account time comes of age, will be able to have their Shard Shields. So, this is equal opportunity to any and all players, NO DIFFERENCES WHATSOEVER.
Furthermore, those who want to transfer can do it at a small fee, AND have the advantage to transfer up to 5 packies along with, while the Shard Shields do not allow for any packie. So, I see no problem here much.

1. (continued)
There are some artifacts (lt-sash, int boots, ...) that don't drop nowdays.
The developers are not so stupid to ruin PvP. All old artifacts that very suitable in PvP have replicas.
And that is why we now have [replica] items and the Minax items, so that any and all players have their ability to get the same items as other players thus eliminating the difference between players which was so much hurting fighting and PvP in Ultima Online.

I think we have a great Developing Team in Ultima Online with a very good long term vision for the design of the game and they are implementing the good changes for the game. I just think they made a mistake not reverting the imbued artifacts to regular artifacts as they were prior to being imbued before it was stopped.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are so many thing over the years that I missed out on due to real life in this game, And so many thing that I have that others did not get. For example the alacrity book I was away and did not get one! I don't hold it against those people for having them and me not and that is just a small thing.
What shard do you need one on? I can definitely supply one to you on LS.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
What shard do you need one on? I can definitely supply one to you on LS.
I play on LS, I went out and bought one using the new vendor search :), Thank you though! I am Panama creel, Snowdog, Tem, Flint, Windwalker, and Cogline. Who do you play on LS?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
But there are monopolies which, if left untouched, may harm the economy of a society (and sometimes harm very much...), and that is why most countries do have a powerfull anti-trust agency, to control and take care of that in the interest of competition and of the overall economy of a country.
I've never heard that anti-trust agency close companies just because they "may harm". Especially when it force leaving million peoples without job.

Equal probability doesn't mean equal possibility because, unfortunately, wealth becomes a factor and thus, some players who can afford it, jump to the better items by purchasing them rather then hunting for them which requires more time. Yet, my problem was not much with items which still spawn, like slither for example, I do not have a problem in slither costing 80 millions UO gold because it still spawns and so, those players who cannot or do not want to spend this gold for one, can still go and hunt for it.
You didn't understand what I wrote. Here is another example: 7 months ago you could sell minax's per 2m. Now you can sell minax's per 300k only. And it doesn't depends on your wealth. It means that 7 months ago you could farm gold 7 times faster (using the same char).
On most popular shards you can't place a castle, can't place a Luna house and so on. Do you suggest to delete all Luna houses to make it fair?

My problem was with imbued artifacts which only a few players have been able to while the vast majority have not been able to. This creates a divide in between players and a monopoly of imbued artifacts by a few players where many other players do not have any longer the possibility to do the same thing.
As in regards what artifacts may have been imbued, I would imagine that those that have been imbued have, for the most part, been the most usefull and with the most interesting properties on them, not the junk ones....
There is no any problem with imbued artifacts. Any player can buy them very cheap. You suggest to hurt million other players just because you have imagined a problem here.

Well, there is always the possibility to simply "revert" an imbued artifact to just what the artifact was, prior to imbuing. Just remove the "imbuing"..... No deletion of items, just correct a wrong.
Removing imbued mods is about the same as deleting. It still makes the whole suit based on an imbued artifact useless.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shame has rid almost every chance that anyone would use these slightly limited artis anyways. A few years back one could use that helm or one of the others and have a real bonus but that time has passed us a while back. Just loot at the trading forums and see the massive range of items people have now compared to a short time back.

Popps the ship sailed a long time ago, let it be.