• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about account transfer

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So with some of the recent reclaiming of old accounts by previous owners I was thinking... Some of us acquired accounts back before EA had an account transfer process. Is there any way for us to now transfer these accounts to ourselves to make them "official" going through the account transfer process?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good Question.

Before the Transfer system was added to stop this very thing before we were at the mercy of the CS. If it was deemed their account you were out not only the account but your hard earned money you spent to keep the account up to date. Many accounts back in the day were given or sold on e bay. Unless you had a paypal reciept the sale couldnt be confirmed and 99 chances out of 100 you lost to the CD holder.

Before the migration the CS department went by the last CC# on the account and the legnth of the payments made. As with many old CD holders many wanted to claim years later to get the accounts back and had not paid for it in years and couldnt even answer the standard questions from CS wiht out pulling the CD key code out and yipping they were the creator.

Worst off these days many accounts are being claimed by the creators knowing full well the accounts are not their property. The CS needs a new way to id accounts belonging to the legitimate owners. As having a "fishing " account thief take 3 of my accounts this would have been a way to stop the thief in his tracks had some form of ID of ownership been in place.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your situation made me think about this as I have 4 out of 5 accounts that were bought prior to the official transfer process and I've been paying on for years. I would hope they would still look at the payment history and realize who actually owns the accounts now. I didn't event see an option on the account management screen for transfers.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Surely you should be-able to use your SA upgrade code, to verify it's your account. and other upgrade codes I would assume... Might not work, as the original installation CD-key code might have more power over simple upgrade codes. but It shouldn't hurt to try. especially for someone who has bought or has been given an account previously owned by someone else.

But regardless of this specific issue Account Security needs to be stepped up a few notches...

If future changes interest more people for the game's player-base, thats even more a reason.

One major thing other MMO's have over UO, Replacing lost Items/characters.

Which is unfortunate considering most MMO's haven't been around even Half as long as UO. Some of them don't have one-of-a-kind or "rare" items, simply no comparison.

Lady Laurel

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately, the official UO Transfer Service that was once offered is no longer available. We looked into this, called customer service (spoke with a regular rep and then a supervisor) and talked to Jeff about this. We were told that the selling or transferring (even to a family member) is no longer allowed, so the service was discontinued. Though Jeff did say he would look into it further, but we have not heard anything back.

I have an account like this. A good friend that I had met in game left UO and gave me his account. Now I have had this account for at least 11 years (that is about as far back as I can remember lol ) and I don't think he would ever try to take it back, but I would hate to lose everything just because he can call with the original game code, but none of the upgrade codes or credit cards. I put the secret word on the account, but when I call they do not ask for it, so what good is it really?