• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Throwing] PvP Thrower and gear

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I stopped playing for a while. Have a Thrower that I'm looking to re-equip. was looking for advice on what the current gear people are using as well as some template advise.

thanks.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Template you can go:

120 Throwing
120 Resisting Spells
120 Healing
120 Anatomy
120 Tactics
120 Fencing/Sworsmanship

I played my archer quite long with:

120 Archery/Throwing
120 Fencing
120 Resiting Spells
70 Chivalry
90 Healing
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy

I like having some Chivalry for Remove Curse, Dispel Evil or Cleanse by Fire

Actually I switched Fencing for Spellweaving. Archers and Throwers are hard to disarm with their mastery and I often fight outnumbered. Gift of Renewal, Pixies and Attunement are some help there, but you need a level 6 Focus to make it effective.

Gear wise you should try to get to 210+ Stamina with 55 SSI. That will get you to max swing on soulglaive. You will need +10 stamina armor parts and/or stamina on jewels as well as SSI on jewels. Then you want 45 HCI, 45 DCI, 100 DI, 40 lmc, 25 HPI, damage Eater 15/18 and Dex boni to get to 150 Dex. For the max you might want Fire Eater/Kinetic Eater 30, MI, HPR other stat boni. But everything is hard to get.
Equipment you might want: Conjuror's Trinket/Enchantress Cameo, Crimson Cincture (VvV), Corgul Sash, Conjuror's Garb, Unforgiven Veil, Boots of Escaping/Shanty's Waders.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Throwers are a nightmare to get to 1.25 swing on a glaive, you either must reforge a glaive to get 40 SSI or you must have an enchantress cameo or Breatplate of the berserker in your gear, and as the second has no stam on it you are then stuck with trying to get jewels with 5 stam(4 on one if have corguls sash), 15 SSI also on the jewels(20 if using cameo), plus you are likely to be stuck with plate +10 stam gear which gives you less LMC than stone, stone is best but unless can find useful +10 stam looted stone gear you are stuck with trying to get those rare/expensive runic mallets with only 10 charges and hoping to get very lucky.

Its like the devs hate gargoyles or something, an archer is so much easier to get a fast swing speed on.

Incidentally, anyone know if high parrying is actually worth having on a thrower?
I know there is a penalty to throwing in carrying a shield but the guide isn't clear on whether high parrying cancels that out completely

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as i know parry doenst make sense on a thrower, cause you cant parry with ranged weapons. Wearing a shield also gives you a massive hit chance penalty and when i remember correctly you can only lift it with having a melee skill as well.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This is the info I was talking about, from UO guide

Shield Penalties

All the throwing weapons are one-handed in nature which allows the thrower to equip a shield or other item in their off hand. The player will suffer a defense and hit chance penalty for using a shield while using a throwing weapon. These penalties can be offset by investing skill points into Parrying. Player’s with no skill points in the Parry Skill will now have a minimum chance to hit.

this says that the penalties can be "offset" by having parry skill, but is unclear about whether having max parry skill completely removes those penalties.

If 120 parry skill completely removes these penalties surely parrying would be very useful for a PvP thrower, and as its one of the skills that reduces special move mana cost surely it would be more useful than a second weapon skill used for that?

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since you cant parry with a ranged weapon, I still dont see a sense in having parry just to be able to have a shield and the reduced lmc.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Last time I checked it 120 parry didn't completely remove hit chance penalty.

You can get 55 SSI without reforging SSI: jewels + city bonus + 30SSI on weapon.
With 6*8 stamina armor pieces you can get 218 stamina.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With 6*8 stamina armor pieces you can get 218 stamina.
How exactly do you do that?
I have 125 dex, 150 after agility potion and 48 stam on suit (6x8) which takes me to 198 stamina. Where do you get the last 20 stamina from?

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anybody gotten the gargoyle version of the Ozymandias Obi? If so, did you get it as gargoyle character from the rooftop?

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are no gargoyle versions from shadowguard yet. But I guess it can be altered.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Last I checked it can't be altered and there is no gargoyle version on production shards.

Though it's still possible to have 211 Stam, and max SSI without the need for Divine Fury or town bonus (which I'd hate to need.)

My setup has VVV Mace & Shields, 5x 10 Stam pieces*, 5 & 4 on jewellery (could be 5 & 5), 1 on Corgul's Sash. With SSI coming from 5 on Augmentation Wings, 10 on each jewel, and 30 on weapon.

*For anyone thinking of doing this don't forget that the Stone Gargish Amulet is still classed as Jewellery and as such enhancing it won't give you extra resists. (Found out the expensive way.)