• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PVP Tamer Template

V

V1per

Just back after a few years away. I see on the boards now there are numerous threads about various pvp tamer builds, however, i'm not seeing any specifics on the builds.

Reason i'm wondering what they are is that i've seen some mention of people not going with vet on their tamer so i'm wondering if something in the mechanics has changed in which case i can substitute another skill in possibly.

Any and all help appreciated. I've herad of mage/tamer necro/tamer and even stealtharcher/tamer...

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 3 builds that I use. I'll list them in the order of most favorite to least favorite.

4/6 Tamer Archer - Chiv healing

This one has the highest damage output and with the med and a good suit can spam specs pretty well. Plus 4/6 chiv is a great healing method against mages.

120 Archery
107 Tactics
93 Taming (110 with jewel/talisman)
120 Animal Lore
100 Meditation
60 Chiv
120 Resist

(Dread Mare)

Tamer Mage

Pretty versatile, great for group fighting with fields and xhealing. Nice to be able to fight on foot and not worry about getting dismounted. Most people will just run when they get anywhere near 1/2 life though.

120 Mage
110 Eval (+10 from book)
110 Resist (+10 from book)
52 Med (+11 from book)
120 Wrestle
93 Taming (+17 from ring/talisman, so 93 real skill)
115 Animal Lore

(Dread Mare)

Bushido Tamer

This one is a tank. Can run in for the dismount all kill and pop an evade and not even worry about getting hit. Use pots, 4/6 chiv healing, and confidence. Only downside is no med so you have to be semi careful.

120 Swords
120 Bushido
120 Parry
90 Tactics
93 Taming
115 Animal Lore
62 Chiv

(Dread Mare)

T

Turdnugget

Pretty much what Lynk said.. I run a archer/tamer but I have vet on mine still as I use that chr for PvM as well as PvP.

I don't fair as 'well' as those who run without vet for either healing/anat or whatever other skill. But I can kill them just as easy.

People run w/out vet on tamers for PvP so they can cram more useful skills. As in PvP you're trying to kill someone as quickly as possible so typically your pet isn't in danger of dying.

R

RichDC

And unless you use a GD (i have a PvP tamer and i loathe using this...tend to only bring if i get pissed of and wana go on a suicide run!) you wont be of your pet long enough to get it killed!

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats funny, i thought i was thee only one that knew the full potential of the dread mare. Has there been a change of heart vs. the beetle kisune combo?

T

Turdnugget

Some people prefer the dreadmare as you can ride it as well...and they don't have to worry about another trailing pet to take care of.

I still use beetle/mare though. More often than not killing those with dreadmare. You see, once they go on foot to dismount, I still have a pet to ride while my beetle chomps on them =)

R

RichDC

When my Toon was red, if i saw a tamer with a beetle in tow i would dismount my dread and sick him on the beetle...if i had a chance(depending on the others temp) switch to beetle slayer and thats one fast dead pet.

If i wasnt able then i would have to turn my attention to the mounted tamer and try to do as much damage as fast as i could (dread still very much more powerful than beetle :p) then call dread back to dismount the tamer and kill mare.

Never usually have this problem, i dont fight at yew and nearly no one uses the mare beetle combo at spawns.

T

Turdnugget

All I use at spawns is mare/beetle. I love it too much not to.

I can't count how many people that combo has killed for me. You just gotta know how to command your pets though. That can be a tough one.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's clear that the mare/beetle is more powerful than a dread mare. The issue comes into play with mobility and actually PvPing. Most people are simply going to avoid someone with a mare/beetle. It's quite honestly insta death if they get an armor corrupt.

If no one wants to fight you and just runs its not fun. Also, beetle's are fairly easy to kill for an archer with a beetle slayer and then you're done.

T

Turdnugget

All statements are very true...that's why you gotta know how to control your pet(s).

My beetle only dies every so often. I like to think I do a pretty good job as keeping it alive. Vs a bunch of people it gets a little trickier.

But i'm generally spawning with this combo so I use it both for PvM and the PvP when it comes to it.

That and I don't have a dreadmare anymore... sold mine to my gm for 500k... when they were still spawning and didn't know that they'd be such a hot item and so good in PvM/PvP.

Arcades

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what about Dread/Bake vs Beetle/Mare? I've seen a few players using the first combo.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 Tame
115 Magery
105 Ninja
100 Lore
100 Vet
100 Hiding
80 Stealth

Or so it the template I am planning once skilled up...la

T

Turdnugget

Mage + Totem of Lost Knowledge (15 mage) or mage wep if you dont use + taming jewels
EI
SS
Necro
Taming
Lore
Vet

I run in wraith form... this chr is mainly a spawning character but fairs quite well in PvP as well. You could always drop vet for resist or meditation if you wanted. Since you'd be using a GD and it hopefully wouldn't really ever die...

5% Luck

If ya drop out some more taming add in a pair of boura yea I know sounds dumb but they have para special you can cram even more skills on the temp and have a pet that has unresistable para!

1 high plains 1 lowland = 900+hp

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Being very slow though with no range spells, how effective would the boura really be vs ranged classes.

Has anyone tried Dread/Bake combo vs the Beetle/Mare combo to see which was more effective for field fighting say in fel yew?

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Gimp...

120 mage
120 eval
120 mysticism
120(100) focus
110ish taming
110ish lore
40 med

Dreadmare, trap and kill tactics huge damage output, weaker against multiple mystic mages but I swap eval out for resist sometimes to keep them guessing. Mass Sleep All Kill and chuck a bola. Spell plauge with the dread is pretty unfair and follow up with a spell trigger bombard ftw. I often wish I spelltriggered cleansing wind but I can't get away from the insta cast boulder that finishs a lot of my kills..but I do die a bit more then I would care to admit...I think a spell trigger cleansing would cut my deaths in half. No resist sucks but even when I get mana vampired I have enough regen to get threw it and I have a dread..most people run away from me not towards me. This temp has such awesome damage output that for the one death I take I kill 5+ so it works out being ok. I'm not the best at walls and e field traps but this defenitly requires you to be creative in that respect. I honestly enjoyed the necro mage tamer more, I liked it's ability to kill archers better and of course wither, but lets face it mysticism is where it's at these days.

Oh for equipment I use the tamer tali, crystalline ring and mage weapon for defense. The only big issue is you MUST always carry a trap box.

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Something different. No Jewelry needed.

92 Taming
80 Lore

Minimum Lore & Taming too control 2 Baked Kittens.

100 Hiding
80 Stealth

Sneaking with pet balls.

120 Archery
110 Ninjitsu
100 Tactics

Shoot & Dismount. 100% Lama form (I think).

With points left too spend how you like depending on account age.

Plenty of Regen armour if possible. 10 HP regen & 10 Mana regen minimum.

Pet balls are an absolute must.

Take a lot of pots and smoke bombs.

Last edited: