PvP/PvM Thief

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
G

GreekHero

I know this has been asked a lot of times but i need some suggestions.
I am new to the art of thieving and would like to create a character that can steal arties as well as enter undetected a champion spawn and when boss drops to steal a scroll????

What should my skills and stats be?

Basic skills:
Stealing
Snooping
Hide
Stealth

I need help with following:
Tracking (i guess this is good to keep tracking someone on the spawn - maybe a tamer that u suspect will get smth good)
Necro (good for wraith form, isn't this form very important if you are wondering around players while snooping them?)
Ninja (i guess to start running if you steal an item, can u go to animal form from wraith form?)

Any other suggestions/techniques would be really appreciated.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
Template

My template looks like this:

120 Fencing
110 Ninjitsu
110 Stealing (80 real)
100 Hiding
100 Snooping (90 real)
95 Magery
80 Stealth (40 real)
80 Poisoning

Skills

Magery - I initially tried chivalry, but eventually dropped it for magery for the following reasons. First, I can near insta-heal/cure with only 2/6 (as opposed to 4/6 with chiv). Second, the teleport and invisibility spells are lifesavers, as you can cast them while visible and/or aggro'd. Third, if I see a bot on a track, I can mark a rune to return later. Fourth, I can gate for team stealing. Lastly, incognito/polymorph aren't especially useful, but they can be fun sometimes. :)

Ninjitsu - In my mind, ninjitsu is indispensable, for several reasons:

1) Shadowjump. The number one thief killer, in my mind, is passive reveal. If you stealth up to an elf, you have an over 50% chance to be passive revealed, and your outlook's not too bright against humans and gargoyles, either. As soon as you're revealed, you can expect an "all kill." However, with shadowjump, you never need risk passive reveal: just shadowjump next to your target. Also, shadowjumping doesn't count as movement, so it won't close the packs you've snooped. Once you get the hang of it, you can shadow jump to every player at a champ, open all their packs, and sit back and watch for the best scroll. Shadow jump is also a way to avoid being hit/revealed by earthquake/meteor strike, as shadowjump casts much faster than those two spells.

2) Wolf form. Besides giving you increased movement speed, wolf form gives you +20 hp. As soon as you make a steal, hit wolf form and run for it. Once you're in the clear, just hide and stealth away at mounted speed. Unless I get trapped in paralyze fields, I'm never, ever killed in wolf form.

3) Shurikens. Kill bots and supposed "PvPers" who like to shoot arrows at people from within the safety of their houses.

4) Smoke bombs. If someone is flagging you, you cannot hide without them.

5) Death strike. The further they run, the quicker they die.

Suit

My suit includes: Burglar's Bandana, Pendant of the Magi, Shadow Dancer Leggings, Quiver of Infinity, Totem of the Void, Ornament of the Magician, Cloak of Silence, and an imbued ring (15 hci, 3 fcr, 20 lrc, 15 fire, 7 cold), as well as custom gloves, arms, and tunic. When I cast gate travel, I throw on the Conjurer's Grimoire to bring me to 110 magery. When I'm killing a bot, I replace my totem of the void with the Conjurer's Trinket to increase my damage and hci. The suit was surprisingly easy to piece together (on Europa, no less) and has 100 lrc, 2/6, 30 lmc, and all 60s.

Affiliation

As far as a thief guild . . . there's no better community than THIEF, in my view. Look here: UO Thief | The Unofficial Home of the Ultima Online Thief.

G

GreekHero

Template

My template looks like this:

120 Fencing
110 Ninjitsu
110 Stealing (80 real)
100 Hiding
100 Snooping (90 real)
95 Magery
80 Stealth (40 real)
80 Poisoning

Skills

Magery - I initially tried chivalry, but eventually dropped it for magery for the following reasons. First, I can near insta-heal/cure with only 2/6 (as opposed to 4/6 with chiv). Second, the teleport and invisibility spells are lifesavers, as you can cast them while visible and/or aggro'd. Third, if I see a bot on a track, I can mark a rune to return later. Fourth, I can gate for team stealing. Lastly, incognito/polymorph aren't especially useful, but they can be fun sometimes. :)

Ninjitsu - In my mind, ninjitsu is indispensable, for several reasons:

1) Shadowjump. The number one thief killer, in my mind, is passive reveal. If you stealth up to an elf, you have an over 50% chance to be passive revealed, and your outlook's not too bright against humans and gargoyles, either. As soon as you're revealed, you can expect an "all kill." However, with shadowjump, you never need risk passive reveal: just shadowjump next to your target. Also, shadowjumping doesn't count as movement, so it won't close the packs you've snooped. Once you get the hang of it, you can shadow jump to every player at a champ, open all their packs, and sit back and watch for the best scroll. Shadow jump is also a way to avoid being hit/revealed by earthquake/meteor strike, as shadowjump casts much faster than those two spells.

2) Wolf form. Besides giving you increased movement speed, wolf form gives you +20 hp. As soon as you make a steal, hit wolf form and run for it. Once you're in the clear, just hide and stealth away at mounted speed. Unless I get trapped in paralyze fields, I'm never, ever killed in wolf form.

3) Shurikens. Kill bots and supposed "PvPers" who like to shoot arrows at people from within the safety of their houses.

4) Smoke bombs. If someone is flagging you, you cannot hide without them.

5) Death strike. The further they run, the quicker they die.

Suit

My suit includes: Burglar's Bandana, Pendant of the Magi, Shadow Dancer Leggings, Quiver of Infinity, Totem of the Void, Ornament of the Magician, Cloak of Silence, and an imbued ring (15 hci, 3 fcr, 20 lrc, 15 fire, 7 cold), as well as custom gloves, arms, and tunic. When I cast gate travel, I throw on the Conjurer's Grimoire to bring me to 110 magery. When I'm killing a bot, I replace my totem of the void with the Conjurer's Trinket to increase my damage and hci. The suit was surprisingly easy to piece together (on Europa, no less) and has 100 lrc, 2/6, 30 lmc, and all 60s.

Affiliation

As far as a thief guild . . . there's no better community than THIEF, in my view. Look here: UO Thief | The Unofficial Home of the Ultima Online Thief.
Many thanks for the response. I have the hiding, stealth, poisoning, fencing skills already on a very old red. Would think it would be a waste to make a red thief? Or I should consider stoning them. What are your experiences? Won't people attack u anyway once they figure u a thief, to protect their rewards?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oct 21, 2008
Baltimore, MD
taylorvsmith.com
Well, unless you play Siege, your red wouldn't be able to enter Doom or certain other areas for artifact stealing.

As a blue thief, you can safely snoop just about any blue. Unless you're on a shard with a lot of thieves, most folks don't realize that they're being snooped. As a red, this might be a bit more difficult, but not impossible - just stay stealthed and use shadowjump.