• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP Events

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since it was brought up on another thread and since it deserves its own...

What sort of things would people want to see in a PvP event? What would make it fair and balanced, where everyone who wants to participate can have fun?

What are some of the major complaints?

And what can we, as Baja, do to make it easier for there to be more PvP EM events?

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For starters, I think it needs to be very clear that it is:

1. A PvP event (Insure your stuff, expect death, etc.)
2. No rewards will be given out
3. Some sort of system to balance the numbers, even if this means that certain groups will be fighting against their own guildmates and friends but will still have an incentive to not backstab their new allies

Having the attraction of rewards/prizes attracts the wrong kind of people who complain afterwards.

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I guess something worth discussing. Do people prefer having stand-alone PvP events or plot based events that happen to also include PvP?

I am extremely hesitant to do stand-alone events. It is not my style. I like to have everything inter-connected and be part of a story. So, even if most of you prefer stand-alone, I cannot promise that I will ever do that. But, its would be worthwhile knowing.

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, another point that I would like to bring up. I understand that tempers can flare up when something includes PvP. I do not mind criticism but I will never tolerate personal attacks on myself or my partner.

We do not play favorites. Even if you curse us out, we will not hold a grudge against you. But, you should never drag us into mud. We consider Baja as our family and when you attack our integrity, it feels like a family member slapping us to the face. This can be very disheartening. So, please do not go down that road - no matter how frustrated you are.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if people do prefer to go "down that road" be very aware that I am watching these forums carefully and if I see violations against the rules there will be no warning. I will just hand out infractions. The EMs are here to communicate with the population of each shard in order to hopefully make the events more fun and fulfilling. As far as I know they are not required to do so.

On a side note... I know that on my home shard and I think on most people don't like the PvP events mainly because it brings out the worst in people. Mainly the gank squads who enjoy nothing but killing everyone else that is trying to have fun and participate in the events. I think what might end up happening is that PvP events will turn into EM Hosted PvP tournaments once the new arenas are put in and people can sign up for that particular event ahead of time that way the rules can be instituted for that arena. Believe it or not but I believe there are PvPers who's sole joy in life is making other people's lives ingame miserable. Just my opinion. :)

Noble Beast

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My official introduction to PvP (other than running from Reds so that I could recall to Trammyville) was the Judge Erlington Event. This Event was also the first time I had witnessed it being so lop-sided; the Blues out numbered the Reds. I found that this gave the weaker Blues in PvP an advantage & that it gave the Reds a challenge. I had a blast that night. We were all forwarned that it would be a PvP Event so I took no offence to being ganked; in fact, I was rather proud of that fact because 1v1 I had (to my surprise & delight) taken down a lone-Red. I think that my overkill of DCI (70% to protect against SK's 30% HLD *winks*) helped out alot.
*gets back on track*
The one thing that I liked was that the Reds did not loot fighting essentials; like bandages. I found out later that that was only due to the fact that the Reds had not time to loot but I did enjoy not having to leave the fight to run to the bank or homestead to replenish supplies.

In short (yeah right!), I enjoyed the Event & that fact surprised me. A new aspect of the game opened to me & it had a purpose not just a random PvP fight night. If it were not for Seppo & Pallando I would never have known that aspect of the game, my abilities, or my character. As long as the Events are story driven & not just mindless killing, I am all for it!

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's good to know, Noble Beast. I also prefer to have story driven PvP events.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EMSeppo said:
Well, I guess something worth discussing. Do people prefer having stand-alone PvP events or plot based events that happen to also include PvP?
Both.

Roman Emperors and Medieval Lords often held Tournements and Spectacle to amuse themselves and appease a peasant audience. It was as much a form of propaganda as it was a sport.

All events should be conducted In Character. But not all events have to be related directly to the current plot. (e.g. the Tournement of Champions.)

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, I barely did any fighting at all during the Judge Erlington PvP event. I spent most of the time being chased and figured it was just going to be one of those days; I didn't mind at all until people started accusing me of deliberately setting up the event to kill blues.

Some of my guildmates did get frustrated though. We were asked to participate and walked into a one-sided battle where we also took abuse afterwards, often personal. Most of the abuse had nothing to do with the Event. Most of us have no problem with a challenging fight, but we draw the line where it gets personal and nasty. We felt like we had walked into a trap for simply agreeing to play the bad guys.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Noble Beast, and honestly, that's one of the most refreshing stories I've heard about it. I'd gladly be chased by you and many others at the same time for your enjoyment if that's what you would get out of it. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

I prefer story driven events myself. I thought the boat idea was great. I really enjoyed the Orobas event, especially since it had quite a story at its core. A good story helps to keep the memory stay with you for a long time.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I personally do not have the personality for PvP, do not enjoy it, and couldn't PvP my way out of a plain brown paper bag, however, I do enjoy watching a good PvP Duel.

I like EM Events that successfully mix RP/PvM/PvP with a good story behind it. The Orabas event is a perfect example.

I also like a PvP Tournament such as the Tournament of Champions. My only concern about that was you could really tell who have factions items and who didn't.

WildStar

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there any way the EMs could do a PvP event with NPC Armor/Weps/Regs. Make it a true PvP not who has the best Armor/Wep. 1v1 or 2v2 as long as all equipment is the same. Would love to watch some old school 1v1. True test of skills. I was there at the Tournament of Champions and really enjoyed it.

EMSeppo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3. Some sort of system to balance the numbers, even if this means that certain groups will be fighting against their own guildmates and friends but will still have an incentive to not backstab their new allies
In the old days, it would be quite simply murderers vs. non-murderers. But, guild affiliations have erased the blue/red lines. I don't think it is very realistic to expect a character that is in a particular guild to go against that guild for the sake of an event. Not to mention, there are technical issues related to fighting someone from your own guild. Throw in the official factions and it gets even more complicated.

Something that would work better is if players had separate characters whose affiliation was based on event related plot instead of guild.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well part of the problem is that there are those who play stealth archers in factions. Most of us in Factions can fight against superior numbers, but a stealth archer can potshot just one of us and we then go in stat.

Essentially, this archer has had very little to do with actually killing any of us or doing any PvP at all, but gets to put us in stat anyways, due to the work and PvP of everyone else.

Beyond that, most of us don't really mind going up against whatever numbers so long as there is room to move and maneuver. Putting us in a small area with 5, 6 odds is simply a massacre.

KRKILLSCARTEL

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I love seppo. and i think all pvp events should have story lines. I recall a very fun pvp event with boats. there was a red team, and a blue team. Alot of fun seppo. I still have my robe and shoes. :danceb: