• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mysticism] PVM, Throwing & Imbuing

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ok, I moved 120 imbuing off my crafter and onto my gargoyle. Now I'm trying to figure out what else to put on it.

I'd like to add Throwing and Mysticism. What else is a good fit? Magery / Tactics / Anatomy?

I haven't found many gargoyle / imbuing / throwing templates.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is one thread on it
Mystic Dexer build, Throwing or other weapon skill?
This post by CorwinXX sums up the difficulty

I have a mystic thrower.
It's difficult (impossible) to get 3 FC + 6 FCR + 50 EP + 45 HCI + 45 DCI + 100 DI + 45 SSI. (You need 3 FC to have 2 FC with Enchant on)
As a result he is not a good caster (low mana, low MR, low SDI) and not a good dexter (low DCI, low HML).

When I use RC I can't use AI because I must save mana for MS (mass sleep) + RC combo.
I must always check is Enchant on and recast it when it wears off (you can't prolongate Enchant). Often I cast some spell and auto-unequip my weapon giving to monsters incredible chance to hit.
I don't use Stone Form because it makes me too slow.
I needn't to heal when I'm not under attack and can't use CW (healing) when I'm under attack because it's too slow spell. I can't use Healing Stone two times in a row so most of time I use Chivalry to heal myself. It's also not as fast as it could be with 4/6 (but you can't have 4 FC when you've got 70+ Mysticism).

So most of time I don't use mysticism. This means my char has just 4 skills that I use.
I haven't enough HML to chain AI. (I haven't mana reduction)
I haven't Bushido so I can't do much damage when I haven't slayer.

With a mystic thrower it's easy to kill not so hard monsters even with bad equipment... but even with high-end equipment you can't kill hard monsters (or crowd of monsters). So it's a good char for a new player... but not a powerful char.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Well. That's discouraging. But thanks for the information, and it makes perfect sense.

I moved 120 imbuing off my crafter so I could have carpentry back. The intent was always to put the 120 imbuing on my gargoyle. I just don't know what else goes with imbuing. I already have 2 mystic/mages, don't really need a 3rd.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mystic mage is my favorite all-around character, except in places where spells aren't allowed. I've never used imbuing for anything other than imbuing.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I understand that. But I'm not choosing Imbuing over Focus - this is my imbuer who unravels all my old loot. Now that he has 120 Imbuing, I'm wondering what else I can do with him. Dropping Imbuing isn't an option.

I already have a crafter with Blacksmith / Tailoring / Tinkering / Carpentry / etc, and I already have 2 mystic mages. I had read how mysticism and a weapon skill might be complimentary until I read Yadd's post.

Maybe I'll just keep him around as though he was a soulstone, and add random skills from week to week. This week, I could add, lessee... I have inscription and fletching available. :p

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I understand that. But I'm not choosing Imbuing over Focus - this is my imbuer who unravels all my old loot. Now that he has 120 Imbuing, I'm wondering what else I can do with him. Dropping Imbuing isn't an option.

I already have a crafter with Blacksmith / Tailoring / Tinkering / Carpentry / etc, and I already have 2 mystic mages. I had read how mysticism and a weapon skill might be complimentary until I read Yadd's post.

Maybe I'll just keep him around as though he was a soulstone, and add random skills from week to week. This week, I could add, lessee... I have inscription and fletching available. :p
I was going to jump in on this thread sooner, by basically saying; there's a reason no one uses Imbuing on their Mysic... because it's functionally less useful than using Focus.

I find that I don't usually need every craft skill on my crafter, but do always need Imbuing on them, so things like Alchemy/LJ/Fletching are usually on stones so I can keep the main skills Blacksmith/Tailor/Tink/Carp/Imbuing/Arms Lore on my mule.

Mystic dexxers can be good but you have to really think about how and what you're going to use them for. For example playing in Stone Form has the advantage that you can't have your bandages blocked by Bleed/Poison or be Cursed to lower Dex/bandage speed. You also have to think about the swing penalty, so using a slow weapon class like Archery/Throwing isn't ideal either. There are more pros than cons to the form, including the resists which you then don't need to refine for and can keep your DCI at the normal level. (I don't know if anyone had tested lowering resists in favour of DCI by refinements and then using Stone Form to get 75's - it probably won't let you but is an interesting idea).

Alternatively if you're not going to use Stone Form that basically makes you a summoner. You could combine it with Throwing and keep your mobility.

Though, if you've already got two Mystics there's not a lot of point in suiting up a third one. It's not a hugely powerful skill in itself for PvM. More defensive than anything else.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Add throwing and fishing. Then use him to unravel MIB treasure chests. If you are feeling really rich, there is an EM event drop that acts as a portable soulforge so you could take in on the boat with you.