• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Resist Spells] PVM Template

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is only for a PVM mage. Will 100 resist be enough or should I take it to 120? Again only for pvm.

C

Cloak&Dagger

This is only for a PVM mage. Will 100 resist be enough or should I take it to 120? Again only for pvm.
Depends what you are fighting and what you are trying to protect against. Most casting critters can still para you at 100 resist, blood oath is still pretty strong also. Poison will hit more often as well. You don't really even need it, but again it depends what you are trying to protect against.

5% Luck

The way I run magic resist on my mage is simply to cast invisi more successfully. That means poisons mana drains and paras. I usualy will keep 120 skill -30(scribe or 35 non scribe) for protection and skill + items to at last be over GM.

If you dont plan on running protection 120 is optimal but I do get away with 95(100-35/+30 from skill +) on my non scribe mages that run protection.

Its not as good and some mobs still get a para off but it really only lasts 1 second or less. Almost like a bit of lag. Poisons do get through more often but an orange petal more often then not (patch notes) is plenty to stave off that. The mana drain really isnt an issue but for the rare occasion I get drained multiple times in a short span of time in which I was planning a heal/invisi. At 95 the drain again has a very short timer.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gm resist is fine for pvm, I've run gm resist in pvp and been ok.. just depends on your play style.

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will be pretty much use this template for everything in pvm boss andd collecting items and such. I alway carry a trap box and apples and pot.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will be pretty much use this template for everything in pvm boss andd collecting items and such. I alway carry a trap box and apples and pot.
The only thing that resist really really helps with in pvm is the mana drains/mana vampires. Orange petals/cure potions for hte poison and trap box for the paras. If you get drained/vamped and can only do damage threw mana then you are in trouble and that is why gm resist is the minimum for running resist spells. 120 resist is a bigger deal in pvp then in pvm, it would sure help in pvm but you can use gm and be fine. A warrior can get away without resist more so then a mage because they can do damage without spending mana.

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I know this is an old thread but anyway..... What I completely miss in this discussion is the magic reflection spell!! I love this spell and with 120 resist spells you have a reflection pool of 100%. This means you can reflect 2 5th circle spells.....
Up The Irons
Henzy
Lord of The Ruskin Arms of Drachenfels

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
100 resist should be fine.

Depending on spell book you're running, you could also try to find a Scrapper that has some extra resist on there (or jewels obviously). That will help prevent some of the loss when using Protection spell.

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I love the protection spell. And thanks to GM inscription, the loss in resist is "only" 30, which is solved by +15 resisting spells on ring and bracelet. It makes CF completely obsolete. (I am still struggeling with my armor.... I need armor of 70/90/65/65/65 and because of the combo protection/reactive armor/magic reflection the result is 65(cap)/95/70/70/70. The skills are 120magery/eval int/resist/myst/focus 100 inscription and 20 meditation. The 95 on fire I want if I swap myst/focus for necro/spirit speak and cast vampiric embrace.... I am just building this template, the skills are all there, but I haven't hunted a lot yet. Wonder how it works and I am prepared to die :) also, since SS isn't necessary for vampiric embrace, I could swap it for fencing and replace inscription with poisoning......
Up the Irons,
Henzy
Lord of The Ruskin Arms of Drachenfels

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I don't think VE works for mage templates. I don't think you leech HP from spell damage (though I;ve never tried, so I might be wrong), and you can't cast any spells with garlic else you take like 25 dmg - so now you're unable to heal from healing spell effectively.