• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvM Sampire advice

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok had this all written down somewhere but since I just puttered along training this guy I can no longer find my notes. Now its time to hone in on what I want him for. That being said this char is being built to solo champs (peerless, SA,etc) PvM stuff only

At present: Human
Stats: STR 120, Dex 125, Int 50

Skills:
Anat 100
Bush 110
Heal 90
Parry 110
Sword 120
Tactics 100
Chiv 90

Suit: (some pieces are planned for replacement but some are staying)
Spirit of Totem
Jackal's Collar
Jade Armband
Snake Skin Boots
Animated legs of insane tinker
Rune beetle carapace
Sentinel guard shield
Corgul's enchated sash
Cloak of life
Gloves,Sleeves,Ring just providing me some resists+ nothing special

The Legs and Armband are there for my low swing speed. I know I need 90 necro and should hav 120 Bush I believe, so what skills would you lower and suggestions for upgrading suit would be majorly appreciated. Presently carry Soulseeker -will get better wep when available and need an apron. Tali's I swap in/out no definite 1 on this char

Can't think of anymore info that I should provide except thanks for any assistance :thumbup:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, 99 necro is essential. The entire premise of the sampire is that the necromancy spell "vampiric embrace" allows you to leech back some of the damage that you deal. Also, if you want to continue using parry/bushido, you can safely lower chivalry and raise parry/bushido to 120.

For your suit, what are the total mods? 45 dci is absolutely indispensable. You should also be able to swing your weapon at max swing speed, so mind your stamina and ssi. Some mr and lmc will help you to keep your specials flowing. Mid-60s to 70s resists are important, because you will be toe-to-toe with mobs. 45 hci is ideal, but if you aren't able to include this, chaining lightning strike should make up for any missing hci.

Here's my own sampire advice:

After trying half a dozen templates over the past couple of years, I finally settled on one that I like:

120 Fencing
120 Bush
115 Tactics
100 Anat
100 Heal/Resist
99 Necro
66 Chivalry

Perhaps the most unusual aspect of this template is that it lacks parry. Thus far, my experience has been that I don't miss parry a bit. After adding both healing an anatomy, I am healing way more damage than I defended against with parry.

Also, I switched from swordsmanship to fencing in order to use leafblades. The feint and AI specials are awesome. Plus, with 180 stamina, I don't need any swing speed increase (ssi) on the weapons, leaving a free mod for imbuing. My primary weapon looks like this:

Leafblade
60 hit mana leech
44 hit stamina leech
47 hit fireball
30 hit lower attack

I also have an armory of similar leafblades, but with slayers and super slayers instead of hit fireball.

This is how I run my sampire:

Macros

Honor
Dispel Evil
Enemy of One
Divine Fury
Bandage Self
Consecrate Weapon
Primary Attack
Secondary Attack
Confidence
Lightning Strike

Arm/Disarm my various weapons and slayers

Tactics

Honor: Honor everything--yes, even mongbats. Once you have honored an opponent, each successful hit counts toward your "perfection" rating. Every time you build perfection, your damage output increases, eventually reaching 100% di.

Consecrate Weapon: This spell adjust your weapon damage type so that it correlates with your enemy's weakest resist.

Enemy of One: Use this spell carefully. It increases your damage output against a particular type of enemy--your enemy of one--but makes you more susceptible to all other creatures. When I'm fighting a boss-type creature one-on-one, I use EOO liberally. However, when I'm just starting a champ and there are a variety of different creatures around, I typically don't cast it.

Confidence: Causes you to regenerate health more quickly.

Common Specials: Feint on my leafblades cuts all damage, both magic and physical, by half for 4-5 seconds. Whirlwind hits all nearby enemies. Armor Ignore hits for base damage (i.e., as if the mob was not wearing armor).

Trap Box: You only need one. If the box is oriented the right way in your pack, you can repeatedly click on it to take a bit of damage. This will break any paralyze spell. I use my trap box often, especially since I don't have resist.

Pots: If I'm fighting a more challenging mob, I drink strength pots to increase my hp and agility pots to prevent my stamina from decreasing due to the weaken spell. Occasionally, I also chug a heal pot, if I'm low on hp and waiting for a bandage to kick in.

Food: You'll be taking a lot of damage, which causes your stamina to drop. If your stamina drops, your swing speed decreases. Because a sampire relies on damage output for health, a reduction in your swing speed can be lethal. I carry cooked chickens and eat them occasionally.

Enchanted Apples: Eating them removes curses.

Arcane Items: If you die, you will need to recast vampiric embrace. Some folks carry regs for this...but this means sneaking back to your body to without vamp form. Personally, I carry an insured arcane item. Arcane charges allow you to cast one spell per charge. Currently, I have an arcane cloak in my pack with 20 arcane charges. These items are cheap and easy to make--you can collect arcane crystals from controlers in Ishenar.

What My Sampire Carries

300 bandages, split into three piles to prevent the entire pile from being looted by a monster. 10-15 enchanted apples, greater strength pots, greater agility pots, and cooked chickens. 1 insured arcane item. 1 trapped box. 1 normal leafblade, 1 normal kama (whirlwind for weaker mobs), 1 demon slayer leafblade, 1 repond slayer leafblade. 1 Conjurer's trinket (undead, everything else), 1 primer on arms (reponds). Books (rune, spell).

Here's a screen shot of my sampire's desktop. Notice the aids, enchanted apples, trap box, cooked birds, and potions under my health bar, as well as the blue arcane cloak in my pack.

Example: How I'd Solo the Skeletal Dragon Minichamp

Level 1: Skeletons and Patchwork Skeletons. Because patchwork skeletons can dismount you, I protect my swampy by having it stay just outside of the champ area. I climb on my charger and use my kama to quickly whirlwind all of the skeletons and patchwork skeletons.

Level 2: Bone Mages and Skeletal Knights. I retrieve my swamp dragon and switch to my leafblade. My killing of this spawn is very systematic: pull health bar, honor, consecrate weapon, and lightning strike until dead. Rinse and repeat.

Level 3: Skeletal Liches. I quickly pull up one health bar and honor it before it can bless itself. (Note: once it blesses itself, it's health decreases a bit, which makes honoring impossible. Must be at full health to honor). Next, I lead away the one that I honored--I prefer to take them one-on-one. Of screen, I cast EOO, consecrate, and feint, then I run up and start lightning striking it. Every time I take damage, I apply a bandage. If I get paralyzed, I hit my trap box. If I get blood oathed, I cast remove curse or eat an apple. Continue to heal and lightning strike, recasting consecrate weapon as needed. Once one is dead, repeat with the next one.

Level 4: Skeletal Dragon [Renowned]. Again, I pull its health bar and honor it before it can bless itself. Off screen, I cast EOO, consecrate, and feint. I also chug a strength pot and an agility pot. Next, I run in and start lightning striking. If it paralyzes me, I hit my trap box and heal. If it curses/blood oaths, I remove curse or eat an apple. If it summons a revenant, I cast dispel evil. If my hp is too low, I hit confidence and run out of range, heal up, recast consecrate, and return to the fight. Throughout this process, I rarely look at the actual fight: my eyes are on my health and status bar. It'll be dead before you know it.

J

jgruberman

Syrus, this was an incredible write up, but I had just one question(surprise, surprise, right?)... What if you don't have the 720 skill cap and only 700? Where can those 20 points be shaved from? or should something be jeweled up?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
In that case, I'd go 90 healing, 110 tactics, and 61 chivalry.

semmerset

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is your purpose?

My sampire for spwan( I can all except orks,fel orks is bad location :( )
And pereless boss(dreadhorn,paroxysumus,grizzle) and abyss.

120 Meelee wep(first sword ,now mace)
120 Tactis
120 Resist spell
120 Bushido
100 Necro(for vampire)
75 Chiv(for devine 100%)
65 parry

But for pereless boss,that wammy is a little damage.
better, resist spell change to anatomy.

I think not need healing.
so,vampire have 20% life leech.

Sampire various kinds exist, you build it from your favor. :)

R

Roddy Doyle

Here's my own sampire advice:

After trying half a dozen templates over the past couple of years, I finally settled on one that I like:

120 Fencing
120 Bush
115 Tactics
100 Anat
100 Heal/Resist
99 Necro
66 Chivalry
Hey i enjoyed reading the thread and getting some good advice. I am trying to tweak my sampire after being gone for sometime. I have been back for about 2 months and I am feeling a bit more comfortable with the whole game, finally :)
My question here is why 66 chiv and not put the extra 5 points to have 120 tactics...what does 66 chiv give that 60 chiv wouldn't give and then put that last 1 point into necro or have 61 chiv...thx for the advice

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It's not a bad idea! Depends on how often you mind fizzling EOO, but give it a try and see. :D

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The biggest thing about those few points of Chiv is the success rate of consecrate. You need 65 chiv to have 100% success at consecrate.

Not a HUGE deal, but sometimes it can be a pain.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ah, I did not realize that. Good point.

J

jgruberman

Personally, mine is at 60 I think and I have the skill points elsewhere.. I think in Tactics at 120.

I don't use EOO or Consecrate Arms that much just yet, but I'm still learning the "Sampire Tactics".

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't used to use consecrate, because I would just find/make elemental axes for my purposes. That became a bit costly and difficult when I started making sampires on all the east coast servers. I reworked the template a bit to allow for 65 chiv.

The only time I really go for 120 tact/anat is on my AI spamming Sampires, which I only have 2. Otherwise I settle for 100/100.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i just made a sampire.. my temp right now is
120 swords
115 tactics
115 bushido
110 resist
100 parry
61 chiv
99 necro

this is a pretty strong char..
i tried switching parry for anatomy but it seems about the same.
you hit harder so regen more health but then get hit more so you need it..

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
i just made a sampire.. my temp right now is
120 swords
115 tactics
115 bushido
110 resist
100 parry
61 chiv
99 necro

this is a pretty strong char..
i tried switching parry for anatomy but it seems about the same.
you hit harder so regen more health but then get hit more so you need it..
I wouldn't swap anatomy for parry unless I also had healing. Not only do you deal more damage (per anat), but you also heal more hp (via healing). Without healing, I'd stick with parry.

K

korak

Great post for me since I just came back after a few years off but I have a couple questions for Syrus on your spec. If I were to drop parry for healing should I wear a shield for extra stats? And if you have no parry is confidence still worth casting?

Thanks a lot for all the great info in this post it has helped me feel like I am getting back in the swing of things a lot faster.

Oh ya another question not 100% geared to sampire that will show how much of a noob I am again :) I cant remember how to make trap boxes to get out of a para spell. Is it the tinker or the mage skill? And do I want low lvl skill to make them?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Hi, korak. First, if you drop parry for healing/anatomy, you will have to weigh two options: a shield for the extra stats or a free hand for strength/agility/heal pots. Both are good options--it's really a matter of preference.

Second, confidence is still worth casting, even without parry. :D

Finally, I've honestly never made a trap box. I've never failed to find a vendor selling one. They're cheap, though, and you only need one (it can be reused over and over).

Welcome back and good luck!

K

korak

Thanks a lot for the fast reply, I think Ill set up a macro to drop my shield and see if it is a pain. As far as the trap boxes go I guess Ill have to figure out how to make them since Baja is a lower pop server I havent seen any for sale.

Thanks again.

pumpkin_escobar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
syrus, great comments, I'm gonna steal all your ideas!
I just have a couple of questions regarding the macros you use, are you just clicking those or is there an actual program that does it for you? also regarding the macros, whats the secondary weapon?
I've been away for quite some time and its hard getting back into all this.
Thanks in advance!

PS. now all the questions are overwhelming me. I noticed that you dont run the old version of UO, by the picture you provided, are there any benifits to running a different version?

Thanks again.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I use button combinations for the macros listed above. Clicking the on-screen macros would take too much time.

When you say secondary weapon, do you mean a different weapon or do you mean the secondary special attack? If the former, I'm using leafblades and occasionally a kama for whirlwind. If the latter, each weapon has a primary and secondary special attack. These are accessible via the book in your paperdoll.

The reason that I am using the Enhanced Client is because it runs more smoothly on my laptop than the Classic Client. However, the custom User Interfaces, such as the Lucis Interface (shown in the image above) or Pinco's UI, are only available in the Enhanced Client.

Roland of Atlantic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
syrus, great comments, I'm gonna steal all your ideas!
I just have a couple of questions regarding the macros you use, are you just clicking those or is there an actual program that does it for you? also regarding the macros, whats the secondary weapon?
I've been away for quite some time and its hard getting back into all this.
Thanks in advance!

PS. now all the questions are overwhelming me. I noticed that you dont run the old version of UO, by the picture you provided, are there any benifits to running a different version?
Enhanced client has all the macros you want and more, and when combined with Pinco's UI (love it!) or Lucis (havent tried it but heard good things), it has way more functionality that the classic client has with all the addons ever made for it.

Regarding macros, all the special moves and bushido and chiv spells I have grapical icons for, as well as keystroke macros. The reason is when you arm a specail or cast a spell, the icon will light up letting you know it's active, and with Pinco's, they all have timers to let you know when they expire.

One argument for high parry is the bushido spell counter attack, which does what it says, counter attacks a parried blow. Counter attack can be charged for I think 2 mana or something rediculous like that and it will last about a minute or so. You fight as normal, and the next time you parry something, you will sneak in an extra attack, which defeats the 1.25 swing speed cap. Best part is, if you have armor ignore charged the counter will be an armor ignore, whirlwind will throw in an extra whirlwind, etc. The best one I think is double strike with the daisho or double axe. Thats 3 double strikes (6 hits) in a row in 1.25 seconds. Like a machine gun. I use this all the time on Serrado the Awakened in the Tok spawn. Since I use a high mana leech snake slayer weapon and honor or EOO on him, I am hitting for over 110 damage per hit, so I am leeching massive amounts of mana (to more than make up for the higher mana consumption of consecutive specials). So I don't use lightning strike, I feint once, and perform 3 double strikes and feint again. Counter attack here nets me 660 damage in 1.25 seconds.

While that is the best of cases, even an extra normal hit in the worst of cases is nice. :D

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bushido has a huge penalty while using a shield to parry.. its like 5%(shield) vs 30%(2 handed) at 120 parry/Bushido.

i would not use a shield if you have Bushido and parry.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
i would not use a shield if you have Bushido and parry.
Kind of like I said . . .

. . . if you drop parry for healing/anatomy, you will have to weigh two options: a shield for the extra stats or a free hand for strength/agility/heal pots.

S

Sam Pire

120 Fencing
120 Bush
115 Tactics
100 Anat
100 Heal/Resist
99 Necro
66 Chivalry

Syrus, since we need at least 65 to cast concetrate with 100% what would you change to suit a 700 cap acc.

I was thinking bout droping 5 tactics and 15 heal what you think:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yep, or ten from each. Either way. :)

That said, it really doesn't bother me to have to cast consecrate a couple times. I'd probably go 110 tactics, 90 heal, 61 chiv. But your plan is also fine.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Don't go below 90 healing or your bandages will begin to slip while in combat. I personally like:

120 Weapon Skill
120 Bushido
120 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Parrying or Healing
99 Necro
61 Chivalry

-OBSIDIAN-

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Good insight.

I agree with you, Obs, but this particular player only has 700 skill points. Taking your template, I'd recommend 110 tactics and 90 heal.

S

Sam Pire

Good insight.

I agree with you, Obs, but this particular player only has 700 skill points. Taking your template, I'd recommend 110 tactics and 90 heal.
And 61 chivalry then: It still needs 5 more points.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Good insight.

And 61 chivalry then: It still needs 5 more points.
120 Weapon Skill
120 Bushido
110 Tactics
100 Anatomy
90 Parrying or Healing
99 Necro
61 Chivalry

I add that to 700.

S

Sam Pire

Good insight.

Regarding gear i was thinking bout getting all faction arties because of extra stats (crimmy, primer, m&s, fey leggings and stormgip) and fill the rest with woodland armour. Is this the cheapest way of building a good suit for the sampire:

I choose fencing aswell and was wondering if the most important mods on weps are those stated by you earlier on the post (mana leech, stamina leech and hit lower attack + slayer)

Regarding gold i was researching a LOT and it seems that right now the best thing to do is farming Devourer of The Soul Renown Spawm in SA and pray for the tinker legs drop. 40m currently on atlantic. Is there anything more lucrative than that in termos of killing monsters:

S

Sam Pire

120 Weapon Skill
120 Bushido
110 Tactics
100 Anatomy
90 Parrying or Healing
99 Necro
61 Chivalry

I add that to 700.
Was really thinking bout dropping tactics to 105 and get 66 chilvary its only 5% more base damage against 100% sucess rate chance of consecretus weapon. What you think:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Sure, that's just fine. :)

S

Sam Pire

Sure, that's just fine. :)
Regarding gear i was thinking bout getting all faction arties because of extra stats (crimmy, primer, m&s, fey leggings and stormgip) and fill the rest with woodland armour. Is this the cheapest way of building a good suit for the sampire:

I choose fencing aswell and was wondering if the most important mods on weps are those stated by you earlier on the post (mana leech, stamina leech and hit lower attack + slayer)

Regarding gold i was researching a LOT and it seems that right now the best thing to do is farming Devourer of The Soul Renown Spawm in SA and pray for the tinker legs drop. 40m currently on atlantic. Is there anything more lucrative than that in termos of killing monsters:

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whats about the 99 Necro, why not 100?
and do u still recommend 100 ana for pvm these days?

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The higher your anatomy the higher your damage. For a sampire the amount of damage you do is directly connected to how much and how fast you heal.

semmerset

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want fight for only 1 enemy,anotomy is good.
But you fight many enemy,resisting spell is better than anotomy.
At champion spawn,magery use monster cast mana drain.
You hope solo or 2-3 sampire do champion spawn,you need resisting spell.
You can not use whirlwind attack when many monster cast mana drain you,you have 0 mana.

My sampire have resisting spell and 0 anotomy,but human.
I can solo dreadhorn and more.
(my favorite peerless solo is grizzle :D)
I think 0 anotomy is only few min long.

Sampire is good fight,1 enemy or 2 enemy(momentum strike) or 5-8 enemy(whirlwind attack).

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want fight for only 1 enemy,anotomy is good.
But you fight many enemy,resisting spell is better than anotomy.
At champion spawn,magery use monster cast mana drain.
You hope solo or 2-3 sampire do champion spawn,you need resisting spell.
You can not use whirlwind attack when many monster cast mana drain you,you have 0 mana.

My sampire have resisting spell and 0 anotomy,but human.
I can solo dreadhorn and more.
(my favorite peerless solo is grizzle :D)
I think 0 anotomy is only few min long.

Sampire is good fight,1 enemy or 2 enemy(momentum strike) or 5-8 enemy(whirlwind attack).
Your logic is a bit flawed, even with GM resisting spells you can get mana drained multiple times by level 4 spawn which leaves you with no mana.

I personally think resist is a waste unless you're doing a harrower where you get blood oathed.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your logic is a bit flawed, even with GM resisting spells you can get mana drained multiple times by level 4 spawn which leaves you with no mana.

I personally think resist is a waste unless you're doing a harrower where you get blood oathed.
this.
i have found that anatomy is better then resist in most cases..

even took my non resist sampire to doom and rocked it. just bring some apples and make a macro for remove curse and your set.

you just gotta make sure to tab out, eat apple and re-attack as soon as you see the blood oath.

i made a 1 button macro for this in the EC.

edit with no resist spells you can run with protection and get remove curse off easier :)

semmerset

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Before imbuing,I think resisiting skill need 120.
But now Imbuing suit and weapon is good,sometime resisting skill GM is enough, and I collect 5-10 enemy.
However,I need resisting spell 120 for primeval and abyssal infernal.
Usually champion spawn,no problem for resisting spell GM.
And mana need 55 over.
Solo or 2-3 sampire play champion spawn,I need resisting spell GM over.

L

lancelot99

One question...

in a mmorpg, why do you want to solo all the champs?

Not having a go or anything, just curious why you want to play alone in a multiplayer game as opposed to a single player game..

just curious as all ...

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One question...

in a mmorpg, why do you want to solo all the champs?

Not having a go or anything, just curious why you want to play alone in a multiplayer game as opposed to a single player game..

just curious as all ...
Because I'm greedy. I want loot. When I play with other players in PvM I end up doing the work and other people benefit without any actual contribution. With a little focus, you can take your team workhorse and make it into a solo character.

E

elspeth

Well, in another mmorpg that I won't name though it includes lots of w's you end up wanting to play solo just cause of how annoying the other people are! I have a group of friends who pretty much play with each other and that is it, they know each other in real life and there are 5 of them so they can do dungeons but never do the bigger stuff.

For myself, I would like to play more with other people but a 2 year old daughter and erratic schedule make it very hard.

But still, I don't want to solo them, takes too much time. I like to read about the solo strategies so I can get better at killing the spawns and so that I can duo them with my husband.

Which reminds me, I really want to look up strategies for the peerless, its been awhile since I've done them and we need some crimsons for my sampire and hubby's archer. Any places particularly good for reading up on strategies?

G

ginessis

Prompt HLD or HLA in arms hang. And what is a significant difference