• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Put a stop to the Voting Fiasco

mghtyshark

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
If we live in a medieval time land ruled by a King, why are we having to vote for governors, or why do we have governors at all? I do think that we should be hosting Jousting tournaments in order to decide who will have more success "Governing" our towns in the era that Sosaria exist on. This will give an excuse to use the battle arenas that so many of you complain in the past about not been used enough IMHO. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think the Lady Willa of the Yew-wood would NEVER joust. Just not something she would ever do. She is a loving spirit and a Healer at heart. Jousting would not be something you would find her doing.

mghtyshark

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Correct me is I am wrong, but don't your shard role play? If you do not role play about knights and every day life in the medieval era, what exactly are you guys role playing about? Just a question, not a troll.....

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do think that we should be hosting Jousting tournaments in order to decide who will have more success "Governing" our towns in the era that Sosaria exist on.
Good for you, but you are wrong. a PvP tourney is an awful idea to determine leaders.

Technically, if you want to use the medieval times route, under the King were Lords who were given their titles and land by the King, and a King would never listen to the people to determine who was given leadership positions. In many cases, the Lords were given those titles based on wealth, so once again we look at those who have the most, have the most power.

I like the current idea, it just needs some tweeks so people's heads don't explode as bad as they have recently...la

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Correct me is I am wrong, but don't your shard role play? If you do not role play about knights and every day life in the medieval era, what exactly are you guys role playing about? Just a question, not a troll.....
Not every roleplayer makes a knight and builds castles hehe.

Many people enjoy more..."outside the box" Roleplay, for example they make a miner, and roleplay that they are in charge of Minoc's mine, or make a pirate, then raid a town to loot it.

Since MalagAste said Willa is an elf, and a healer I would think they roleplay various yew activities, like maybe an archery contest or town council meeting, stuff like that.

(Personally I do Roleplay a knight, but most others do not)

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I need to check out the player run towns full of furries. Out side the box and sounds hawt.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually certain towns and cities during the period were granted royal charters that allowed the citizens to form councils and determine mayors - some of which used an electoral system. I don't ever remember reading about the governorship of a city being decided in the tiltyard.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you think medieval Europe chose it's leaders by 1v1 combat?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We Role-play following the "in-game" metafiction.... We are subjects of Lord Blackthorn. Lady Willa of the Yew-wood is a very kind elf. Ask most anyone on my shard and you'll find her fairly well liked. She is a healer by nature. She has lived in Yew ..... was married at one point to the commander of the Yew Militia and while they are no longer married Polynikes of Yew still is the commander of the Yew Militia guardians of the city. They have long protected the city from invaders and problems... They are members of what we call the Britannian Armed Forces. Groups of defenders from other cities and such that are all allied and work together to protect and defend the Kingdom.

Many serve on the High Council... which outside the "Royal Council" carries out the day to day business of the Kingdom. Holding sessions every other Monday, they discuss problems between the cities, listen to the needs of the citizens, they make declarations and laws designed to protect the citizens and the cites. Things ranging from declaring a group an enemy of the state... to hearing requests of citizens for trade deals, or trying to solve issues that perhaps don't need to go before the King.

Sadly while we do role-play much of this all the time... outside of our RP community not to many people care about any of what goes on.... they don't come to High Council meetings (not that I blame them)... they do NOT come to the "Royal Council".... they only go to the EM event to get the drop pretty much. There are several wonderful people on GL's who while they don't RP do respect us and do support us even if they don't really care about the background of the whole game. I know years ago there were several role-players on GL and many shards who IMO took it a bit too seriously... and were not nice to others who would have enjoyed RP but perhaps weren't so knowledgeable about UO history... and Ultima Lore as the others insisted on being. But those days are long passed. Like most communities ours has dwindled... but it is very close.. more like a family.... sometimes I think a family of misfits... but we have a great time. We do a whole lot of everything. Still have some evil role-play.. the Temple of Mondain while not as active as it once was still remains... there are rumors of a nasty group of Slavers and it's rumored that they sell slaves to some Dark Elves or something who sometimes are seen going through the caves near Minoc and have been rumored to be doing something down in Terra Keep or something... but no one knows exactly what that's about.

I certainly miss the days of chasing Orcs or urks from Skara Brae bank... where they often harassed citizens for "shinnies"... and threatened to eat them or their horses. I miss skirmishes between the city of Yew and Minoc over who controlled the guard towers along the road between the two cities. Miss seeing the Highland Guard in all their green kilts... I think most those days are long gone.