• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pure Speculation

B

Bella

So I got to thinking about the recent GW2 beta test for the press and how the press are unable to discuss anything they experienced or share any thoughts they have about the game until Feb. 20th.

Not having been part of a beta test in many, many years, I am unfamiliar with much of the process in how it relates to the time schedule once the game is near release. So, I find myself speculating about the actual release date mainly due to two facts I am aware of to be true.

1. The beta test for the Press. I cannot see a reason to invite the press to play an incomplete or inadequate game. No one in their right mind would do such a thing knowing the press can have a powerful influence over readers. So it only makes sense to me that GW2 is not only very near completion but probably has very little work left to polish it up for release.

2. Amazon adding GW2 as an (almost) purchasable item WITH a sale price. Granted they note that the release date is yet to be announced but still GW2 sits listed on their site, ready to be an active sale item at a moments notice.

Because of these two tiny facts I believe an open beta is not too far off (perhaps as soon as mid March?) with the game released within a month or so after that.

As the post title states, this is pure speculation on my part and my part alone. And what's wrong with a little conjecture in this case? At worst I'm wrong and the wait is longer than I anticipated but right on schedule for Arenanet. However... what if I'm right?

Bella

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well in March and April they will have more beta weekends for regular players. They already announced the schedule.

This is my best guestimate if they follow through the whole beta tests.

1) April was the last of the beta schedule

2) Time to fix anything if they found issues after the beta

3) Shipping the final product.

4) I say July

B

Bella

The way I understand it, the devs and others are not restricted to weekends only play. If that is the case, I think the open betas will be another way to spread the word about how phenomenal GW2 is - along with rooting out any remaining bugs. Arenanet seems to really have its act together and has been working so hard on this that I believe they are just putting on the final touches. I think we are looking at a June release date. But, again, that is just my very impatient opinion speaking :D

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hopefully you have read the new thread. lol Now it will also be on console but looks like the PC and console version will be released at different times.

B

Bella

Ohh... nice! Every day we are a day closer and I don't need to speculate on that to know it to be true!! Forgive me if I'm over-anxious but I can't help myself!!!! :eek:

Bella

S

Scarsdale Punk

I believe the press beta only takes place on weekends. Not sure about the other folks that are testing. Given that press are in beta with only a couple of months scheduled for further "testing" I think Arenanet is likely to use that time to nail down system specs, server capacities, and account handling. Technical details. I'm crossing my fingers for a June launch, but I know they won't rush it.

B

Bella

I believe the press beta only takes place on weekends. Not sure about the other folks that are testing. Given that press are in beta with only a couple of months scheduled for further "testing" I think Arenanet is likely to use that time to nail down system specs, server capacities, and account handling. Technical details. I'm crossing my fingers for a June launch, but I know they won't rush it.
June would be great but I agree, Arenanet won't rush out the "baby" they have nurtured with such care and I know we wouldn't want them to.

Bella

S

Scarsdale Punk

Man, I'd better get a move on! Still have to pick up a copy of Windows to Bootcamp.