• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Public Apology to Pandora CoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check the new title bro
<===

I already knew you had the title. My comments were more directed to Bianca concerning ways to keep information flowing much easier and faster with current CoD members and fans.

You had made a post on Uhall about still trying to get the hang of the social media ( not in those exact words). What is your Stratics twitter name? What else are you using to promote Stratics? I went to Facebook Stratics and it's confusing who is posting. Is it just one person or many under the account? The Stratics Twitter seems it's the same way.

Since Stratics is known for UO you have an uphill battle unless you sit there at your computer all day and evening to watch any issues that people post or player run events. Then you must have an open line 24/7 with a dev that may post some news or issues on what ever social media tools you are using. Then trying to play a game or having a life but constantly watching Stratics to make sure you are not missing any updated dev posts.

Then lets get to a more complicated and time eating part of being a social media community manager. Player run events that are posted with time and dates. You would have not to just post those when and where links. Also you would want to post while being there so the followers on social media knows whats is going on if they are viewing it on their phones while real life took them away from the game.

Maybe that isn't in your job duties but Stratics is so heavy dependent on UO your kind of in a position to heavily promote all events and to attend them. Both official events and player run events. Even though most of the UO community is so against social media it still has to be a UO presence on social media or the game just falls behind farther more. I never understood why UO players have against such tools that can actually help and show the world that UO is still alive. How many players that are antisocial media may be pleasantly surprised to know that you came to their player run event and promoted it and people posted great comments on twitter and such. It may actually rejuvenate players who don't play as much or vets that had quit to sign back in and play more.

The thought just hit me right now that shard reporters should be doing some of this to help alleviate the load of you having to do so much but have to keep you informed in an updated timely manner. Just have toons on all shards and be ready :) I just don't see them helping you out to much.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zosimus, I completely agree with what you've said about utilizing social media as a tool and that we should embrace it rather than run from it. I have myself been very shy about using Facebook or Twitter because of my real life situation; there is a need for me to keep absolute privacy as my husband's work requires it. But Pandy has encouraged us old timers to perhaps create a Facebook/Twitter account for our characters, which I wouldn't be opposed to doing, and use that to help promote our efforts. I will more than likely be doing that sometime this weekend.

Pandora is much more open about her use of such tools, and with our very large gaming community if she didn't I don't think it would have grown the way it has in the last decade. She has websites for all our chapters, as well as other efforts like for example she keeps a "Strategy" site for the major raid bosses for some of our PvE chapters in WoW and Rift and for UO she also maintains a website for the Order vs. Chaos RPvP Theme effort. She hopes to get it restarted somehow. For all of that, she uses Facebook the most. Our chapters all have a public facing Facebook page and then we have one private Facebook group for members of both CoD (our UO players) and TLP (the name we mostly used on everything else).

It takes a village to manage all that. It cannot be done by just one person, she oversees the efforts but all our Officers, Co-GM's, and GM's contribute to all our social media efforts.

~ Sue.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have total trust in all what CoD can do :) I am no fan of Facebook myself. It's so 2010 :p lol Kind of like Faith Hilling. For guilds and promoting events it's really a great tool since many use it now days.

This part was directed to Flutter. Sorry I wasn't clear on that :(

You had made a post on Uhall about still trying to get the hang of the social media ( not in those exact words). What is your Stratics twitter name? What else are you using to promote Stratics? I went to Facebook Stratics and it's confusing who is posting. Is it just one person or many under the account? The Stratics Twitter seems it's the same way.

Since Stratics is known for UO you have an uphill battle unless you sit there at your computer all day and evening to watch any issues that people post or player run events. Then you must have an open line 24/7 with a dev that may post some news or issues on what ever social media tools you are using. Then trying to play a game or having a life but constantly watching Stratics to make sure you are not missing any updated dev posts.

Then lets get to a more complicated and time eating part of being a social media community manager. Player run events that are posted with time and dates. You would have not to just post those when and where links. Also you would want to post while being there so the followers on social media knows whats is going on if they are viewing it on their phones while real life took them away from the game.

Maybe that isn't in your job duties but Stratics is so heavy dependent on UO your kind of in a position to heavily promote all events and to attend them. Both official events and player run events. Even though most of the UO community is so against social media it still has to be a UO presence on social media or the game just falls behind farther more. I never understood why UO players have against such tools that can actually help and show the world that UO is still alive. How many players that are antisocial media may be pleasantly surprised to know that you came to their player run event and promoted it and people posted great comments on twitter and such. It may actually rejuvenate players who don't play as much or vets that had quit to sign back in and play more.

The thought just hit me right now that shard reporters should be doing some of this to help alleviate the load of you having to do so much but have to keep you informed in an updated timely manner. Just have toons on all shards and be ready :) I just don't see them helping you out to much.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zosimus, I completely agree with what you've said about utilizing social media as a tool and that we should embrace it rather than run from it. I have myself been very shy about using Facebook or Twitter because of my real life situation; there is a need for me to keep absolute privacy as my husband's work requires it. But Pandy has encouraged us old timers to perhaps create a Facebook/Twitter account for our characters, which I wouldn't be opposed to doing, and use that to help promote our efforts. I will more than likely be doing that sometime this weekend.

Pandora is much more open about her use of such tools, and with our very large gaming community if she didn't I don't think it would have grown the way it has in the last decade. She has websites for all our chapters, as well as other efforts like for example she keeps a "Strategy" site for the major raid bosses for some of our PvE chapters in WoW and Rift and for UO she also maintains a website for the Order vs. Chaos RPvP Theme effort. She hopes to get it restarted somehow. For all of that, she uses Facebook the most. Our chapters all have a public facing Facebook page and then we have one private Facebook group for members of both CoD (our UO players) and TLP (the name we mostly used on everything else).

It takes a village to manage all that. It cannot be done by just one person, she oversees the efforts but all our Officers, Co-GM's, and GM's contribute to all our social media efforts.

~ Sue.
Look out now, Sue's getting Facebook! :O

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner.
To be clear I am not running the social media accounts specifically for UO but for all the games Stratics supports.
I am working with a wonderful group of people and expanding Stratics in the social media world, where a lot of gamers now participate.
Zosimus you asked what my Stratics twitter name is but it is not "mine" it is Stratics, so it is "ours".

We have a new vision and a new plan--so stay tuned.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Awww man.... I kinda enjoyed the visual of you sitting behind 20 computers trying desperately to participate in all UO related events and then blogging about them in social media. STRATICS MAKE HER DO THIS CAUSE IT WILL MAKE ME LOL IRL!!!!!

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL. A lot of gamer's use social media but get the crowd on Stratics to use it is another story :)

Flutter
The reason I asked if you had a Stratics Twitter handle specifically to see what you areas you are covering. Like If I wanted to follow UO and UO only news and events and you were covering all areas of Stratics but say Amberwitch was the Twitter person who covered UO that would be the person I would want to follow. Now if I wanted to see all news about Stratics I would follow you. Which is what I do with all sites so we can all talk and share articles. I would follow Giggles for anything twitter even if she was just tweeting LOL irl at Flutter :)

Just trying to wrap my head around this and not trying to bust your butt. That's Giggles job. My staff have their own twitter because their own editorals and we promote them that way since they have fans of their work. I have 2 personal twitters, one business twitter, and one twitter for the mmo news site I work for. That last one is primary for communication between staff and other friendly sites to keep up to date on what is being done and posted. This sister site you all have is the Noobist right?

Instagram is really fun especially when a bunch of us at PAX from other sites got together and trapped a few devs and made them take some crazy pictures. I am still waiting to hear back from TMZ :p Really good tool to use though when you are at events like PAX and Comic con to show your followers and readers what they are missing. Seattle was epic btw.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we've extended past the purpose of this thread. Everyone kissed, hugged and made up. Good job guys!

Anyone wanting to further discussions with Flutter about her position at Stratics can reach her via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.