• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Resist Spells] protection & 115 resist vs. 120

J

[JD]

I'm working on a pvp mage build with 120 resist, and I want to build in +35 resisting spells skill so I can occasionally go into protection.

The +skill items I'm finding are kinda crappy or not mage armor.

Is anyone else running this type of template just going +30 on the jewels and ending up with 115 resisting spells?

Or are you using one of the items to pump yourself to +35 so you can have 120 resist?

Items I found which I might consider would be the shroud of deceit, or the orchish grammar. Too bad you can't imbue the aegis of grace with mage armor... maybe some of you did back when artis were imbuable :D

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Isn't there a version of Aegis that is medable?

Orc brute tally seems like a waste on a mage.

You can also get resist spells on a spellbook.

Also - if you fit GM scribe in your template the protection penalty is only -30 I believe.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I run my necro-mage like this. He is human and makes up for the -34 resisting spells with +12 on the ring and brace each, and +10 from the Aegis of Grace. The AoG that looks like a circlet is medable and has 20 DCI. The resists are meh, but I still got to all 70s on my suit.

That said, my necro-mage is a spawner first and PvP only when required. He can hold his own and can heal through most anything (70 DCI, 120 resist, all 70s, protection)... But he can't kill squat unless it's a team fight. I don't have FC 2 on the suit because it negates my DCI on the ring & brace. It might be possible to fit it, but it would be tight. Remember you can't use an Orny because you need to have skill increase on both the ring and brace.

I'd like to see the suit with FC2 fit on a pure mystic-mage (6x120 mage, eval, myst, focus, med, resist) and see how it does.

-OBSIDIAN-

J

[JD]

Thanks I'll look into that circlet... its got sweet DCI and I'm using faction folded steel so aside from the resists its not too bad a trade. Any idea if its alterable?

Not using the orny and crystalline will hurt but I will hope to make things up elsewhere...

I've done the high med on this template and its super nice, but also going to look into sw option for pixie spam. Any idea what spec level of sw will eliminate pixie fizzles? its listed as 24.1 skill required.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've got 62 weaving on my Myst/Ninja mage and I fail sometimes at Pixies, but it is an acceptable level (for me anyways).

J

[JD]

I'd love ninja for llama/mirror images but don't think it will fit if I want med. Or are you not running resist lynk?

I am thinking of pixies but I used stratics as my reference for min skill required. Maybe it is wrong? Not sure? Thanks for the link Gorbs!!

It seems like pixies and sp might be kind of nasty if you can stop them from running/appling/invising?

also a pvp mage noob question. a lot of these myst spells have hella long cast times even at 2/6. i know people precast sp. but once you cast sp and they apple or heal from the dmg how in the world do you cast anything again. in the time which sp takes to recast they can offscreen, heal, do tons of dmg to you, etc. i guess i dont get what trick people are using on the pvp fields because they do seem to kill very quickly these days and i just can't seem to replicate those combos or damage they can do. even a bush mystic dexer took me to like 20% in what seemed like 3-5 sec. i lived but was amazed at the damage.. esp considering he was using a crappy bokuto which does like 10-15 dmg per hit.

ty

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't run med on my temp. It is all 120s except for 62 weaving and 80 ninja.

Focus and Mr is enough for mana.

With 4 pixies from a level 6 circle, 'all guard me', precast exp, plague, bombard trigger, that is pretty good burst damage. They just have to sit around while you cast plague.

It isn't a guaranteed kill by itself but if you follow up with other spells it should do the trick even without the bombard trigger.

I like it the most when you are fighting a few dexers by yourself. You can run around till you get a gift of renewal casted. summon pixies. go in protection, cast attunement. Then do your normal dump. Pretty easy to take out a dexer in a group of 3. Then you're down to fighting two, which shouldn't be that tough.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to add to that..

I also use invis earings, teleport rings, invis pots, and even smoke bombs. I go as a human. So you can use smoke bombs and have a chance it will hide you. Your chance to hide is increased if you run next to a house.

It takes some getting used to, but if you can remember to always use everything that is available to you, you shouldn't die on that build.

I think the only time I have died recently on my template like that was because I was overweight from looting and got cursed and couldn't move. I wasn't able to drop enough loot quick enough while I was nerve spammed and disarmed.

J

[JD]

very nice ideas and template lynk - ty for all the info.

i am currently a garg. i will have to check to see if i can alter what i need to garg otherwise human may be necessary, plus i'd get joat hide and med.

it looks like without trained med skill and dropping my eval to 100 i do have enough for that sw/ninja template using crystalline and orny, but then i wont have 120 resist if i go into protection using those items.

so i need to work on the jewels and getting enough skill pts plus keeping my 15 sdi, dci, and fc/fcr. i think a very nice mana phasing orb may be key.

i am unfortunately a 705 skill pt account so thats gonna hurt me pretty bad on a tight template like this.

how much mr are you running? i have 15 (didnt spend the seeds of renewal) and mana regains seem slow even with 120 myst.

J

[JD]

oh yeah why do you explode first, when sp takes so much longer to cast? ty

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh yeah why do you explode first, when sp takes so much longer to cast? ty
In PvP most people's first reaction when they take any amount of damage is to run and heal. The idea is to stack as much damage as quickly as possible in the shortest 'burst' possible.

Since explode is on a delay you can precast that and you get 28-32 damage shortly after the plague hits.

If you just Plague/Trigger and let the pixies do their magic arrow spam you're looking at maybe 80-90 damage. If you have the explode precasted you get that 30 additional damage in the same time window.

You'd be surprised how many people are running around with less than 120 HP and are slow with a heal pot.