• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Announcement Proposed Royal Archivist System

EM Gotan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Greetings all; things got a little crazy tonight, but fortunately I'd made back up plans for things to give you, and this is largely ready to go! But I want your perspectives on it, whether you feel it's something you'll engage with, and whether you can see any deliberate ways it can be broken? Although if people want to write 250 reports on how great UO can be, I consider that a success for the system!

You will see the updating calendar here;

http://europa.uoem.net/europa-history/

And here the design document is now live here;

http://europa.uoem.net/royal-archivists-introduction/

Royal Archivists – Introduction

Provisional Document For Discussion on Europa:

The Royal Archivist Project.

Background:

Following on from the success of the Royal Investigator system, we wanted to acknowledge that your characters lead lives of their own outside of our events, and that these wider lives are equally valuable patches within the tapestry of experience that is Ultima Online. Thus we came up with the concept of the Royal Archivist position as a counterpart to the Investigations; we would like to record and reward reports of your in character adventures, what ever they may be!

Did you defeat the infamous half daemon, half machine Exodus, and find a magnificent magical scroll as a reward? Tell us about it! Did you tame a horde of llamas and set them upon one of your friends? Tell us about it, and then your friend can tell us how he got revenge using only bag-balls stuffed full of fruit… And together we’ll build up a record of what it meant to live and breathe, to laugh with and love our shared world of Sosaria.

In doing so, our secondary hope is that by revealing the life of the game, you will encourage others to wish to add their own to it; that is you will act as your own advertisement for just why we all still choose to spend our time here, and why they should join us.

Taking Part In The Royal Archivist Project:

To get involved, you can either click Report at the bottom of this page, or you can post at the Stratics Europa forums, and mark the post in the title (R.A.S.) for Royal Archivist Submission. Reports should try and match the following;

* A real world date the event was held, to slot it into our calender

* A minimum of 500 to a maximum of 2000 words

* Be between 0 and 10 pictures; for webcomics each panel counts as 1 picture

* And 5 to 30 minutes of video

* Be written respectfully! The King requires you to be ambassadors for his Realm and not upset children or scare away potential visitors. Final decision on acceptability rests with Annabel Lee, Archivist to his Majesty who has been tasked with keeping the King’s Records, but you will be given the chance to resubmit with the offending parts removed.

* And what subject matter can you submit? Anything you think captures a little slice of your day, roleplay and PvP reports are both fine as long as they tell a story without degrading the person behind the other characters. Your chair crafting or spell casting can be better than his, but write it with style and an awareness we all share the same lands and are welcome in them.

* The character name in game who will be given credit for this report.

And How Will My Work Be Recognised?

As well as a place on the UOEM calender, where the first screenshot of the first post will become the thumbnail for that day, you will be rewarded just like the Investigators on their official missions. The following rewards, scales and rank names may be subject to change or expansion as the program progresses.

For Each Written Report – 1 Point

For Each Webcomic / Video created – 2 Points.

Archivist’s Ranks:

Royal Archivist’s Tea Boy – 10 points

Royal Archivist’s Book Monkey – 25 points

Royal Archivist In Training – 45 points

Royal Archivist – 70 points

Doctor of Royal Archiving – 100 points

Royal Archivist for Empath Abbey – 150 points

Royal Archivist for the City of Your Choice 200 points

Personal Archivist Of The King – 250 points

Rewards For Archivists

A uniquely inscribed item (it likely will be a sash, but still being discussed) with the title “Rank Awarded To Name”
I'm not sure of the first two titles, maybe they don't fit the more serious Lore... so please feel free to suggest alternatives! Also tell me your thoughts here. I can back date any submissions, the calendar picks them up depending on the date I associate with the post, so including past lore is fine.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why make it so much work for a game? Videos? Essays?
you going to grade them for correct spelling and grammar?

TheBlackCobra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like this is an optional system to reward the players who want to write "essays" (or "stories," as I believe the technical name is). I like it, I may do something to submit for it. (unless I go inactive for another year or so, which tends to happen). Goodness knows I'd prefer this to the "Come die lots" style of events.

Morgana of Monglow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
why make it so much work for a game? Videos? Essays?
you going to grade them for correct spelling and grammar?
Get a life. Seriously. EVERY comment you done on other thread was a nonsense.
Keep playing with those "pvp'ers", 1 minute fight, 40 minutes pancakes on general chat. Oh Wait, is that Felucca these days ?
You have only one option : delete.

EM Gotan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Can we use any European language?
:stretcher:
Good point, I'll have to say only in English, at least for the hosting and rewards, simply because I'm not multilingual enough to make sure the entries are helping advertise the wider game. You can of course do constructive things in any language you wish elsewhere, and I hope you will, but for this I'll probably need it in just that one.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sounds a lot of work for a player with a hour a day playtime at tops......but yes ...it would suit 24/7 players deffo......alas...always good to do something different sogood luck with it anyways...sadly i wont have time to make videos and 1000 word essays etc etc

EM Gotan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
sounds a lot of work for a player with a hour a day playtime at tops
Yes, and I wouldn't ask anyone to sacrifice their playstyle for this, it's just a way to hopefully reward those who like to be creative and don't have many characters who can fight, or have much interest in the Investigator quests I can set up.

The actual test though is whether there's enough submissions to keep it rolling. Barney, you are welcome to write your tales, as is anyone else who wants to start submitting and earning credit! If we can make it work here, other EMs may follow suit for their own, so here's your chance to be a trailblazer...

Barney_wins_UO

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okee, me haev a big lol lasht night an i sayd lol, but i fowgot taek teh pictuer as me had haef a lot beer :(

BUT IT OKAY! I doos it again :D Then me maek a piccy lol thing :D

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is an awesome initiative! I much hope pile of interesting player generated content sees light of the day through this. Also hope to manage some sort of a contribution. If one applies moderate amounts of optimism, it is possible to imagine such initiative maybe helping to bring breath of life to Europa's once vibrant RP scene too.

EM Gotan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Thanks to Bobar pointing it out, a small bug where people not logged in weren't able to see the Report forms should now be fixed, so if people want to start sending in their contributions I'll get right onto hosting them... and yes Flagg, I look forward to seeing what you can create ;)

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Began working on an entry of my own.. gonna see if I can tune it to somewhat presentable condition by mid January.

Last edited:

EM Gotan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
It doesn't need to be a work of art; after all, Barney got the first awarded point! But please do try for that, if you think you can polish it so well...!

Just to clarify a few issues I've had fed back to me though; Basically the Royal Archivist is a way of picking up anything the Investigations don't cover. RI is for roleplay as agents of the Kingdom, basically mini-EM events for those who don't or can't fight all the time. The RA however is for supporting everything else you guys might outside the EM program; Think of it as advertising you and rewarding you for it for keeping the shard alive. The word limit is provisional for now, based on the length of submissions for other EA/Mythic competitions (Sudiva and the ones for the 15th Anniversary Robe) but if there's a lot of media, or links to wider information so people can see what you're up too, I may look the other way on that. The important thing is to catch the spirit of the game, whilst not letting people just keep submitting "Today, I said boo to people" over and over again ;)

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think this is a great idea.

One question Gotan - you use the phrase "we" as in you and someone else decided on this - was that another EM or Mesanna?

EM Gotan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
I say "We" as behind the scenes the EMs and Dev Team all work together on supporting each other, their ideas, and the wider game; and I've been taking into account your feedback here on this particular idea, and of course the submissions I hope to see from you all come entirely from your own pen in turn... so the final result belongs to pretty much all of us. And if it works out here on Europa some of the other Shards will in turn take on the idea too, just as the Royal Investigator system is on multiple shards, and so the cycle of Virtue continues.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some suggestions!

Perhaps it would be an idea to adjust the point limits a little. Scale is rather draconian, imo;p When it comes to earning rewards, people who don't live and breathe writing don't see a task but rather a mountain to climb. One that is on another planet. In some distant solar system. Another Galaxy. Ruled by hostile robot koalas. With lasers. ie Royal Archivist is 70 points. 70 x 500 words = 35.000 words. This is in ballpark of wordcounts you see in published books. 250 points would require 125k words. I did some googling about the matter and noticed this is 6000 words less than Tolkien's Return of the King. This isn't expecting people to write a book but expecting them to write a LONG book.

Just to be clear, are these ranks going to be in-game titles?

I'm fine with the pure-awesome-unique-snowflake titles of upper tier being something very high. But perhaps it'd motivate people to write more if Mid range/lower range tiers had some more mercy going.
..Also, I can only speak on my own behalf but I have absolutely no desire to display a title that'd proudly declare me as a Butt Tea Monkey Boy or whatever. In current system, even 25 points takes a very involved,great, focused effort. in my opinnion there is no need for even low tier titles to be some light hearted jokes completely beneath the " Serious business" titles in tone and value. At least in terms of how scale appears to me, everything here is pretty serious business if measured in creative effort and "workload".

Imo there'd be no harm in calling the lot Archivists from the very first tier on! Then just intoduce various decorations to term (2nd Archivist-> Archivist->Royal Archivist) as the ladder is climbed further. Also, by the time somebody contributes with body of work comparable to Stephen King's catalogue, it is likely she or he has found a "field" of his/her own. Would the system allow some personalization that is taking this into account? Ie if somebody were to produce 100 hours worth of videologs on infinite delights of mining valorite, Would it be possible to give e him/her in-game title Royal Archivist of Valorite Mining, or something along those lines? Or if somebody chose to post daily news, Archivist of Current Events and..well, so on?

I realize following is in all likelyhood beyond the EM team and rather, some elaborate "company policy" of Mythic but,
WHY does it have to be a sash!!?!
Kill some stuff with your dragon during EM event. Do a lot of damage. Have the dice landing correctly- - >Awesome work!! Please enjoy this Grand Oompaaah of unique color and graphics!!
Write a damn book about UO->here have a defauilt color sash lol, thanks pal

I posted my 1st contribution:) I've no clue if format and approach are something you'd hope to get.I couldn't find a way to send it via Europa EM site so I put it on Stratics Europa instead.
http://stratics.com/community/threads/r-a-s-concerning-juka.310200/

"This is my very, very, very,very,very,very,very,very,very first report and I feel so, so, so very, very,very excited that..";p

Last edited:

EM Gotan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this post; event set up and catching up with wider duties and more practice of course and...

So to answer your question about length, it's partly that there has to be some minimum limit to just stop people submitting nonsense and then rules-lawyering to try and gum up the entire system. For instance they could just submit "So and so sucks". "His friend sucks" "they all suck" and claim 3 different stories. 500 words was the limit for recent Mythic competition submissions and isn't that much individually; your own post itself is 532 words according to Open Office! 3 posts like that a week would get you to near the System cap within a year then. I've not been too strict on that for the submissions so far, because I know every story needs to be a long one, but the final decision has to remain mine to protect the entire enterprise.

I added more lenient points values for visual media like YouTube videos and webcomics because those are the best ways to advertise the game at the moment, and after all not everyone is good at roleplay or is interested in it, and they can take a bit more work to make.

The scale is a direct clone of the Royal Investigator system; remember it's not supposed to be easily achieved because the sashes are both individually named and uniquely labelled. Every Royal Investigator sash is a genuine rare, the equivalent or better in limited availability of many rare drops from a monster during an Event, but there will also be more "Name Rank 1" globally than "Rank 2", and the corresponding worth of the item will thus be much, much more as you progress up the ranks. It's a way to reward those who can't compete in combat events against the over-geared etc, but who still take part; but you do have to take part in something. If you were getting Sashes every week, it would mean people who posted were more rewarded over time than those who actually attended the events, as well as destroying a chunk of the rares market. It's a fine balancing act, and I'll be watching the expansion of it closely; Europa is the trail blazer for the Archivist system, and if we can prove it creates a lot of great content, and new interest in the game, we'll have succeeded in the main goal.

Regarding the joke titles, some liked the Tea Boy, some seemed to not like the Book Monkey. I can possibly change the latter then, but the Archivist titles don't have any meaning in game lore; the Investigator ones do for roleplay reasons, because you are official agents of the Crown. Outside of how much you recognise EM driven lore though, it has no standing with the players and, at major events, the King isn't going to put someone with a poncy sash ahead of anyone else. Again, it's just a way to support those who want to be more creative with the game world and don't want too, or accidentally missed the EM driven Investigator events.

But yes, I can only award sashes I'm afraid. Again, they are uniquely labelled sashes and thus true rares. Ones you can wear and show off at events... or not. But they have your name on them, so in years to come people will remember what you did as well as the item's rarity.

I cannot give unique titles outside of a system that is available to all people I'm afraid, as that would be favouritism. Who am I to judge the best Miner? However you can all submit stories and thus someone on 100 Archivist points has submitted as much lore for the game as anyone else with 100 points. Likewise the Investigator system.

Once you are taking part though, I can use your submissions to improve my own stories and engage you more. Using the Trinsic Beacon this weekend for instance proved a useful hook for an event I was working on in the background. I can't promise that will always be the case (some fights you have to win/lose for the global story to make sense) but if someone sees your poncy sash and fancies writing too because they could get one, the chances of me making a much more natural, dynamic story from the actual players adventures on Europa increases. Thus, don't get too hung up on the mechanics of the system, simply use it to try and improve our shared world... which is why it's really there ;)