Problem with Veterans on SP

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Nov 29, 2012
Or else what?...la
Or else the ground will quake, fire will rain down from the sky, and all the characters on the shard will wake up in a void zone they've never seen the likes of, filled with horrors and unimaginable cruelties......?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mar 18, 2003
In Abstentia
They should matter, IF they can improve the shard. I believe they can.

Just because people are vets, doesn't mean they're automatically assets to the shard.

And again I'll take this moment to say that many vets, perhaps even the majority, 51%, are helpful and positive. But the other 49%......don't be one of them
I"m pretty sure the entire world would love numbers like that.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
Or else the ground will quake, fire will rain down from the sky, and all the characters on the shard will wake up in a void zone they've never seen the likes of, filled with horrors and unimaginable cruelties......?
How long have you been on Siege? It's been about 6 years since I last played, what I see today is this void zone you claim. Granted it plays into your "evil vets" narrative, but the shard has never been this empty...there really isn't much emptier it can get...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Apr 12, 2001
Denmark
He joined NEW2 2012-12-02 so a little more than 2 years

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 30, 2010
CT
How long have you been on Siege? It's been about 6 years since I last played, what I see today is this void zone you claim. Granted it plays into your "evil vets" narrative, but the shard has never been this empty...there really isn't much emptier it can get...la
The worst thing is..adding a second house actually bumped the population I hear.. :/ you'd have better luck playing prodo shards and not insuring your stuff to get that "hardcore" feeling with other actual players. Idk Rico become a Powerscroll/Potion thief..at least you'll have more action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SpyderBite

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 27, 2013
I have read most of the replies and I think the whole idea that vets are running people off Siege is not happening. So far I have chatted in gen chat with lots of vets and all of them have been helpful. If you want to know some of the real problems that either keep people from coming to Siege or leaving once they come you are going to need to look a little deeper than OMG someone said something mean in gen chat or didn't help me.

Most of the people who are consider "New" are only new to Siege, most of us are vets from other shards looking for something to make the game fun again. The hardest part of Siege is one char, not being able to be self-sufficient. The next thing is making chars is harder than other shards just because you have to make the gold to buy things. On other shards when I want to make new chars I can transfer gold and items that my new char will need, you can't do that on Siege. Getting around is harder if you can't recall, but that is minor if you have a char with magery.

The last thing I notice is not seeing many people just because everyone is sort of secretive when it comes to where they are. This means learning who's who and in what guilds is next to impossible, with a few exceptions. Someone new who would like to join a guild would have a hard time finding the right guild for them.

Personally I am loving Siege and the challenges of making a new char and making the gold she will need to survive, it has made the game fun again. I am looking forward to having a completed char and being able fit in with the Siege community.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Apr 29, 2014
Yet a lot of new players leave, and so the only voices remaining are those who obviously support the status quo.

Who speaks for the dead and gone??? Nobody, and one of the posters above is wrong. There ARE reasons for their departure, and low pop of Siege, if you truly desire to learn them.
So if they are dead and gone and cannot be asked, what makes you think your guess as to their reason is the correct one?

Siege is a way friendlier shard than any prodo one, its why I play here a lot, I hardly even talk on Europa.

IMO the 1 char limit keeps Siege as a "novelty shard", so much so that it is generally supposed that all players on Siege have a "home shard"(a prodo one) .
I came to siege with 4 other people in 2003, 3 of them left after a week because they missed the home trammy comforts and all their skilled up chars with loads of money(interestingly they were the 3 that were PvPer reds on Europa), one (blue non pvper) stayed with me but in the end she left UO for another game when she got broadband in 2004, without her I got bored then and also left UO.

While Siege remains a 1 char novelty shard it will remain the poor relation of the regular shards, and those regular shards are also losing players year on year it seems, I seriously doubt that has anything to do with vet players upsetting them, its simply that there are prettier and cheaper modern MMOs out there, incidentally after playing WoW for 5 years I can tell you that place has the most toxic, childish community I ever came across, I'm very glad I came back here and I'm really enjoying UO again.

Low population is a UO wide thing, in the end Siege is a backwater of a backwater in this respect, its nothing to do with vets.

I agree completely with your other thread about the client though Apollyon, if they just modernised the EC to the level of those real 3d UO pictures in that thread I think it would really revitalise this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrejaSP

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 28, 2003
United States
Wow!.... <g> Let a simple fact sink in people, if your on Siege, newbie, vet, laid back, or an asshat, your prey, and people who enjoy hunting others may not be sweet talking folks. :)

If someone annoys you in chat, ignore them, turn off chat, or head for a regular shard. Siege is not a place for the thin-skinned or timid.

Last edited:

CorwinWE2

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Because here's the bottom line. None of you vets CAN stop me having a good, fun time. And if you do, then I won't play, as is the case in general. When I don't have fun, I log out. A good lesson for others, n00b or vet alike.
I like the first part of your statement here, but the the second part? You log out? Why do that? Why not get revenge? Or form your own group? Or get what you want from under the noses of the people who'd try to oppose you?

Siege doesn't exist so everybody can have fun, it exists to give some degree of control to the players. Veterans are well within their rights to exercise that control, and anybody who wants to carve out a place on the shard should either use it too - or respect it.

I respected those who ran NEW because they were trying to help the shard, but I never actually thought the idea of NEW made much sense for the shard. Siege needs players who can rise to challenges, and some of the best challenges occur very early on when you're still trying to figure out how you're going to earn any gold when you're near bankrupt, get revenge on people who killed you, find ways to help your friends, and accomplish simple goals of building up your character.

If you want to grow the shard, then create stories. That's what's always worked. Polarizing the community could be a workable move, but the next step is to turn it in to a cause. Are you willing to create a guild and recruit openly to make a stand against the vets you feel are wrecking the shard?

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 27, 2013
CorwinWE2 this is the best post in this whole thread. I couldn't agree with you more on all the things you said. Great post I hope everyone reads it. What makes a shard great is people who are willing to give their time to help it grow. If you want to be part of the solution then you have to give your time instead of just whining about whats wrong.

Reactions: CorwinWE2

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
Counterpoint: Whining is good fun

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
"Oh no this person disagrees with me, better attack him instead of his argument!"

CorwinWE2

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
CorwinWE2 this is the best post in this whole thread. I couldn't agree with you more on all the things you said. Great post I hope everyone reads it. What makes a shard great is people who are willing to give their time to help it grow. If you want to be part of the solution then you have to give your time instead of just whining about whats wrong.
Thanks. Drama in UO is a funny thing, Some people only like it when it's scripted and they know what role they need to play and know what role everyone else will play, and some people dislike non-scripted drama so much they want to snuff it out like it's some sort of aberration; but IMO, it's the purest form of fun that can be had in the game because it involves real people, real emotions, and hopefully real in-game actions that can't be predicted.

And that's the key. In-game. Let them play out and document it all in the forums - maybe light some new fires on the forums (if the mods will let you) - but then take it in game where things can play out. If the story/cause is compelling other players will want to join in the fun and will do what it takes to join in the fun - if it looks like fun!

Of course there are challenges. For instance, it's hard for new players to catch up with veterans in terms of items and materials, but that's exactly why we've seen Ranger guilds, Orc guilds, and even Bob guilds all pop up over the years. There are ways to engage the shard and folks from other shards with very minimal training and effort.

It does take time ...

I was once involved with the Skara Brae Rangers of LS ... an idea born from a simple post made and still documented in the old UO newgroup:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.computer.ultima.online/BHw30Jf3UDQ/BNj4ySSPMlEJ

Ultimaholic

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Feb 9, 2015
"Oh no this person disagrees with me, better attack him instead of his argument!"
Pot? Meet Kettle.
You should be treated exactly as you act. Which reminds me. I had you on my troll (ignore) list in the past. Gonna have to fix that right now. I can see your still the well of useless swill and comments you have always been. :loser:

Bu Bye Corky. Go ahead and reply, it will fall on deaf ears! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! :pie:

Reactions: startle and kelmo

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 3, 2004
Top of the Mountain
www.angelfire.com
Red flag!!!

This is exactly the kind of attitude I'm fighting against. Because as much as I enjoy a silent shard, all to myself some nights, with nobody online......there comes a point when being alone on SP limits the amount of fun people can have.

I support a larger, thriving, more active population. Vets dominating gen chat is just one symptom of a few.
LOL!!!!

I can't read anymore of this thread. It's too ridiculous.

For the record. The reason this shard has a low population is because it's a novelty. Niche. A niche of an overall game that had grown into a niche of it's own. The rule-set is a perversion of the other shards. That is why it's not most's cup of tea. Siege is broken by design. Instead of tailoring the rules on Siege towards the direction this game went (while keeping it's spirit alive), we wound up going in circles with some very vested, very loud voices whose interests superseded the greater good.

People are and were stuck in the past. Or in the niche Siege had become.

Something else was lobbied hard for. At what could have been our finest community moment since, welp, the start... we chose the status quo of the times instead. And nothing really changed.

The End.

Draxous

PS. Bow in the presence of my ****ing greatness, waffles.

Reactions: SpyderBite

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
UO is pretty dead in general to be fair.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 24, 2003
I am still laughing over people leaving because they get bullied in SP GC....... Which is like G rated compared to Atlantic.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
It's closer to NC-17 when I'm on.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
*laughs* Yeah... yer an edgy guy. Hardcore and stuff.

CorwinWE2

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Something else was lobbied hard for. At what could have been our finest community moment since, welp, the start... we chose the status quo of the times instead. And nothing really changed.
What are you referring to? Seems to me what the Siege population wanted was rarely what we got. I seem to recall the shard started out with a wipe and a major rule change overhaul even after the player base was polled and voted against it.

Reactions: FrejaSP