problem with classic client, or may be EC?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
R

Rainforest

Not sure if this is related to the EC... i have been using EC for some time with no problem, i used to play 2d version in my old pc but thought of trying out the classic client (again). Found the download link ( 14 days free trial ) from uoherald. Downloaded the classic client and installed it to my pc.

When i launch the classic client, it will only patch up to 7.0.3.0 version (dont know why? but it said "this may not be the latest version" but i could still play uo). So i hit the play button but it wouldnt load up, i keep getting this msg
" problem communicating with EA, try restarting uo". When i closed the window and try to reload the client , it will say" another instance of uo is already running".

This only happen to the classic client. I could load uo on EC with no problem... could it be that some how when i run the classic client, both client got boot up and clashed? any solution please?

Or may be i need to download the classic client again, anyone could provide me a different link please? thx!

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 1, 2009
hmm... first off, you can't start the Classic client while the EC is already running on the same computer (but the other way round). This may be the core of the "another instance already running" problem. If not, check your task manager if an uo*.exe process is already running (maybe uopatch.exe) and kill that process.

Concerning patching - which OS do you use and do you start the patcher as administrator?

R

Rainforest

Thx for the reply, well, i didnt run both client when i try to start the classic version. I just load the classic client alone and i get the "unable to communicate with EA, try restarting uo" message. After closing the classic client, I will have this icon/message -- "uo is loading..." stucked to my screen and i couldnt get it off. When i try to restart the classic client again, it said " another version of uo is running". ( all these happen without loading EC, i checked my task manager ).

The only way i could get rid of the " uo is loading..." message is by starting the EC client. Once the EC is boot up, that message go away and i could play uo like normal-- in EC mode.

Regarding the patching process, it did patch ... but only upto certain extent. And it will display the message " your client may not be the latest but you could still run uo... blah blah" and when i checked the client version, it's 7.0.3.0. i believe the latest classic version is 7.0.5.0 right?

Oh, i am using "window 7". May be this is the problem?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
as for the patching go into the uo folder and run the patcher from there and when you do try running it as administrator! also you can try running it as if it where on windows xp!
I have windows 7 and have the same issues with the "uo is loading" you can close it in the task manager! why its doing it i am unsure yet!

also on my lap top the running windows 7 The built in screen shot taker in the EC wont work for some reason ! (just a heads up) In my spare time i have been trying to find the solutions to these!

C

Cloak&Dagger

hmm... first off, you can't start the Classic client while the EC is already running on the same computer (but the other way round). This may be the core of the "another instance already running" problem. If not, check your task manager if an uo*.exe process is already running (maybe uopatch.exe) and kill that process.

Concerning patching - which OS do you use and do you start the patcher as administrator?
This cant be right, I can run either client at any time. I often times load up the classic client after the EC.....don't even get the new "running two clients is not recommended" message.

As for the op what storm said may fix your problems, all tho I do not experience any of the problems storm has.

That "uo is loading" bug use to do that in vista, it does not do it in 7 for me though. Not really being very helpful here...but are you running it as admin? and in compatibility mode for windows xp sp3?

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Cove X-Road Felucca (Europa)
Not sure if this is related to the EC... i have been using EC for some time with no problem, i used to play 2d version in my old pc but thought of trying out the classic client (again). Found the download link ( 14 days free trial ) from uoherald. Downloaded the classic client and installed it to my pc.

When i launch the classic client, it will only patch up to 7.0.3.0 version (dont know why? but it said "this may not be the latest version" but i could still play uo). So i hit the play button but it wouldnt load up, i keep getting this msg
" problem communicating with EA, try restarting uo". When i closed the window and try to reload the client , it will say" another instance of uo is already running".

This only happen to the classic client. I could load uo on EC with no problem... could it be that some how when i run the classic client, both client got boot up and clashed? any solution please?

Or may be i need to download the classic client again, anyone could provide me a different link please? thx!
There is a problem with your patcher it cant read the files, administrator rights or correct file permission and/ or it cannot access the internet to download the patch files, maybe firewall.

I would say it is a permission problem try to run it as administrator.

R

Rainforest

Thanks for all the suggestions! You guys make uo great :)
Havent tried to fix it yet coz i am working now , will do it when i get home.

R

Rainforest

Problem solved rolleyes:

I got it pacthed ( storm's instruction). Start it as adminstrator and play the classic client with no problem. :thumbup1: Thank you all !!