• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Potential returning player.

Kevin'

Visitor
Hello everyone I'll try and keep this short (but I probably won't). I'm considering returning after about 15 years. I linked my account and now I'm hovering over the start trial button. I loved the game when I played it but I was not that strong (about two years played total) so I didn't get to explore much of the game even then. I see the game has grown so much in content, and that scares me.. I know it shouldn't, but it took so much time, and even more help from the (huge) community back then to even begin to understand the systems. I have no idea what most of the things and skills I read about as I cruise around the forums even mean.. Chivalry/wraith form/necro/ dragon turtles...!?! I read some other (returning) players forum posts that have returned and they seem to being doing ok.. I saw that someone said they were all trained up 120's. Is there a quicker way to gm now!?! I played forever and was barely strong enough to go toe to toe with a blood elemental.. I never used macros or third party programs.. I guess what I'm looking for is info on:

-Which client/3rd party programs?
-15 years worth of catch up (simplified)
-Where to start with a build?
-Are there people still playing?
-Better ways to get to a point I can explore alone?

Basically I want to get back and see all of the new stuff! Peerless spawns and dragons and such.. And not be grinding on earth elementals and getting frustrated alone. My old account got hacked (why I quit) so I'll be returning to a gm (100) swordsman who is poor, cold, and alone.

Figured I would reach out before I committed.. I saw that the trail has me restricted to help chat. Meaning I won't be able to global chat to see you all in game.. If there is a you all..
Thanks everyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i'll answer a few of your questions...

if you use the Enhanced Client, you can add Pinco's and there is no need for any 3rd party programs. if you use the Classic Client, uoassist is the only approved 3rd party program.

there have been too many changes to explain. in a nutshell, there are new lands, new skills, new races. your best bet is to find a guild to help you.

there aren't as many players these days. pacific is the busiest west coast shard (but still sparsely populated). atlantic is the busiest shard overall.

if you check the 'profession' boards there are lots of tips to help you GM quickly. nowadays it is not nearly as hard to gain skills as it was way back when. most skills can be gm'ed in a week, if not a couple of days. you can also find jewelry that will boost your real skill. also check uoguide for help.

if you're reactivating an old account you shouldn't be restricted to Help chat. btw...be sure to check out the rares forum bc some of those old items on your original account may be valuable. you can sell them for millions to get you started again. 15 years ago you were rich if you had 100k in the bank. that is nothing in today's uo economy.

if you're testing the waters on a trial account, most current players will be more than willing to set you up with gold, armor and weapons to get started. with the current armor and such, you'll be pleasantly surprised with your character's abilities from the start.

Kevin'

Visitor
Thanks for the info. I'm going to continue to do research until I'm somewhat caught up and then I'll start the trial. It seems like these days it's all about the gear you have..

Side note: can someone give me a very basic character build to start out. Interested in solo exploration of dungeons. And taming all the new creatures.

Last edited:

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
aye, after the age of shadows expansion uo became item centric.

i'd suggest starting with an archer. a good template to use:
120 archery
120 tactics
120 anatomy
120 healing
120 chivalry
80 bushido
110 resist

taming, unfortunately, is still a time consuming template to build. but it's worth it.

Kevin'

Visitor
Well I'm back! Under the moniker Kevin. I chose a Mage before I read your post. I'll start an archer as well. You make it sound so easy!! 120 this, 120 that.. :) it took me like a year to gm (100) swords back in the day.. A huge thanks to Players Lunk and Elixar!!!! Helping a beeb with some info and a nice lrc suit :) hope to meet you as well angel. Thanks for all your help so far

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My internet has been pretty much out for the past 2 weeks but if it finally stabilizes, I'll see if I can catch up with you in-game and offer some assistance. Welcome back!

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Hands down these are the two chrs that you should have:
1. Swordsmanship Sampire (Double axes are probably the best weapons in game for PvM, Also bladed staffs are great armor ignore weapons)
2. ABC or TBC (Archery Bushido Chiv, Throwing Bushido Chiv)

There is a rule of thumb to follow in regards to any template that uses chain specials to accomplish something, and that's to lower the cost of mana per special ability used. For a quick read on that you can check this link out www.uoguide.com/Special_Moves.

Here is a pretty basic sampire template that you can work towards
  • 120 Bushido (Bushido is great because it counts towards 300 weapon skill for reduced mana with specials, it allows you to do more damage with whirlwind special and it opens you up to Honoring a target and Lightning strike, Momentum Strike, Confidence, Evasion. It also acts as a defensive skill that can be paired with a little parry.)
  • 120 Chiv (The bread and butter of an effective Sampire. Use Enemy of One and Divine Fury wisely, Keep Consecrate Weapon up always, and don't forget you can use Remove Curse to clear debuffs like Blood Oath, Mind Rot, Curse and Corpse Skin. Close Wounds to heal incase of emergencies. In the rare occasion Cleanse by Fire to cure stubborn poisons. And lastly Dispel Evil to dispel nasty things like Revenants.)
  • 120 Swords
  • 100 Tactics (Some people prefer 120, but in my opinion it's unnecessary, with correct slayer, Enemy of One, Consecrate Weapon, 100% Damage Increase and Bushido you have plenty of damage, you could also build your suit around the talisman called "Soldier's Medal" which gives you +10 Tactics, 5% HCI, 20% Dmg Increase and consume a 110 Tactics powerscroll, bringing your effective Tactics to 110)
  • 100 Necromancy (Necromancy is so that you can cast Vampiric Embrace, aka Vamp form)
  • 80 Parry (At first you probably wont have a 120 Bushido scroll to use, so you might consider going 100 Parry and 100 Bushido, which is perfectly acceptable.)
  • 80 Resisting Spells (This is so you wont get completely drained on Mana when a casting monster uses Mana drain or Mana vamp on you. Advanced sampires often drop Resist and/or parry for Anatomy for more damage. More damage = more life/mana/stamina returned through Vamp form, mana leech and stamina leech.)
With a solid sampire built there isn't much in the PvM world that you cannot handle.

James2464

Visitor
Is that not a problem currently with the elite level of these templates etc? I mean you can solo anything, sure teamwork is still needed but I think the bar has been lowered generally for feelings of security and economy maybe.

Austlec1627

Visitor
Been playing for less than a week now, after a long absence. Playd from Renaissance to after the gargoyles. Some dungeons monsters have changed. Glad to see Destard hasn't changed much. I don't play in Fel. I'd like to do a few solo upper end quests. Then move onto group quests. I'm not in a guild. Pacific. Much easier to place an 18x18, found 3 locations in 20 mins. Unheard of, back in the day. Any fun things to do? Thx.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been playing for less than a week now, after a long absence. Playd from Renaissance to after the gargoyles. Some dungeons monsters have changed. Glad to see Destard hasn't changed much. I don't play in Fel. I'd like to do a few solo upper end quests. Then move onto group quests. I'm not in a guild. Pacific. Much easier to place an 18x18, found 3 locations in 20 mins. Unheard of, back in the day. Any fun things to do? Thx.
Welcome back. Who do you play in-game? Do you have the latest expansion, Time of Legends? Right now, with each new patch, they are releasing new content for that expansion and that has been the focus of the shard. There are turtle hunts, and hunts for the larger bosses of the new content quests. Are you subscribed or still on a trial account? If you are subscribed, you can hop into the general channel of global chat and get to know the shard regulars. That or alliance chat is usually where you hear about the larger hunts being organized.

Schimmy

Visitor
I am thinking about returning to UO. The client package is confusing. What is the current client and what do I need to play the game in its entirety?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am thinking about returning to UO. The client package is confusing. What is the current client and what do I need to play the game in its entirety?
There are two clients (Original Classic Client and the Enhanced Client) and you can use either or both if you want. Once downloaded and installed, they will be able to access all content. Now what content you can access is dependent on your account.

Trial Accounts have the Basic Access but they are limited to prevent scripters from abusing them.

The Basic Accounts have access to all the old content up to the expansion that added Elves. The account upgrades are treated individually. That is if you upgrade with that code, it gives you access to that content alone. If you wanted access to the entire game, you'd have to buy all these upgrades.

Stygian Abyss: Largest of the upgrades, gives you access to the gargoyle race, Mysticism and Imbuing Skills, and access to the gargoyle lands and the Stygian Abyss Dungeon.

High Seas: Access to the large new ships and pirate hunting.

Time of Legends: Access to Skill Masteries and the Valley of Eodon Land Area. With each new publish, new content and quests have been added to this area. This is where a lot of the group hunts are taking place at this moment.

Rustic Entitlement: Access to rustic house tile set and a few craftables andother item goodies.
Gothic Entitlement: Access to the gothic house tile set as well as a few craftables and other item goodies.

I think if you have either of these last two entitlements, they also give you access to rent out one of the special vendor slots in New Magincia. These let you sell resources or pets.